Fly Fishing Forum banner

Winter Socks

4K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  icejohn 
#1 ·
Hello all.Don't think it got above freezing today.After hours wading in freezing water My feet were like ice blocks.Anyway looking at upgrading to better socks(if there are better)I was wearing two thin pairs of socks& two thick pair of thermal socks.The thermal type socks you get in b & m & poundstreatcher stores.Wondering if buying something like merino wool socks' neoprene or fleece socks would be warmer.Was looking at these.But no idea if they would be warmer.Whats other people wearing.Cheers

#4 ·
Rabmax, you were wearing four pairs of socks. That is rather likely to be too much and restriction warming circulation. I would go for two pairs only and with plenty proper wool in the mix. I used to do a lot of technical winter climbing and we always had two pairs on in our climbing boots, never more.

#13 ·
Wool all the way . Smartwool per Ohanzees recommendation if you want just about the best available and easy to buy on the High Street at Mountain Warehouse , under the smartwool I normally put a pair of Bridgedale CoolMax liner socks . Wool is great , I shoot in breeks and proper knee high wool shooting socks ( UK made always Hawick or Nottingham) always warm even in silly conditions .

#23 ·
I've been experiencing different setups.
One thing for sure, and you probably know this, is no cotton as once moist it will stay moist and that cools down.
Something that wicks moisture and nothing too constricting as mentioned above, or your feet will be cold even before you enter the water.
My next try is a thick synthetic sock for comfort, then a wool sock, for warmth and more wicking.

#31 ·
My next try is a thick synthetic sock for comfort, then a wool sock, for warmth and more wicking.
Sound logic, feet sweat and make socks damp, anything that holds the damp is useless(cotton/wool) so a mix is sensible, hence Smartwool, marino/syntheic, engineered to keep air under the foot.

Best tip: turn socks inside out every 10 miles of march, keeps the pile working, the problems begin when the layer between sole and boot break down, flatten and stop working, first sign is smell.

#24 ·
Wool all the way . Smartwool per Ohanzees recommendation if you want just about the best available and easy to buy on the High Street at Mountain Warehouse , under the smartwool I normally put a pair of Bridgedale CoolMax liner socks . Wool is great , I shoot in breeks and proper knee high wool shooting socks ( UK made always Hawick or Nottingham) always warm even in silly conditions .
This is exactly my set up, not cheap but very good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.