Wish I'd known this about breathable waders

kingf000

After years of summer sweating in neoprene waders, a couple of years ago I bought some breathable waders. Two things I wish I'd known. First make sure the sock isn't creased in your boots. One time I didn't realise and the crease wore through and developed a leak. Second, make sure the straps are tightly adjusted so that the waders fit right up to your crotch, despite the unfortunate possibilities. I didn't do this and through creasing and rubbing they have developed a leak, an embarrassing place to have a wet patch!

Scotty Mitchell

After years of summer sweating in neoprene waders, a couple of years ago I bought some breathable waders. Two things I wish I'd known. First make sure the sock isn't creased in your boots. One time I didn't realise and the crease wore through and developed a leak. Second, make sure the straps are tightly adjusted so that the waders fit right up to your crotch, despite the unfortunate possibilities. I didn't do this and through creasing and rubbing they have developed a leak, an embarrassing place to have a wet patch!
Paint the seams with thinned adhesive. I use aquasure but there are many alternatives 👍
It will work on your neoprene boot as well.

kingf000

Paint the seams with thinned adhesive. I use aquasure but there are many alternatives 👍
It will work on your neoprene boot as well.
I got the waders from diver Dave who painted the seams. Unfortunately the creasing and wear seems to have happened on the edge of his paint. I'll give it a go with diluted aquasure.

jaybeegee

A friend who scuba dives recommended a product called Black Witch for repairing neoprene.
B

Vintage Badger

Blimey, all that money for a product that doesn't seem to last more than a season or two! I'm glad I've still got a pair of Streamfisher thigh waders in a cupboard in the garage (which I occasionally treat with ArmorAll protectant to stop them perishing).

I do have a pair of Scierra CC4 breathable waders too, which were bought for a week's salmon fishing on the Tay about 11 years ago. They've been worn less than a dozen times and well looked after, so still look like new, so I do have those to fall back on if needed. They were an 'end of line' deal that cost me around £100 at the time, and seem quite well made and still look 'fashionable'.

So not the end of the world when the do start to leak. However, I'd be loathe to spend a lot on a replacement pair given how little lifespan breathable waders seem to have, regardless of price. Which begs the question, are they actually fit for purpose?

bbamboo

Don't beat yourself up ,they all leak in time. Buy reasonably priced waders and expect to replace or repair often.

eddleston123

Wader manufacturers skimp on the production process and quality control -
knowing that anybody that buys breathable these days will send them up to Diver Dave anyway!!

Are they fit for purpose - NO.

I'd rather sweat in pvc or wet wade, than give them my money.

Douglas

Last edited:

Mrtrout

Wader manufacturers skimp on the production process and quality control -
knowing that anybody that buys breathable these days will send them up to Diver Dave anyway!!

Are they fit for purpose - NO.

I'd rather sweat in pvc or wet wade, than give them my money.

Douglas
I wouldn’t send mine to DD again thank you.
S.

Scotty90

I know a lot of folk knock Simms for the price but I have a pair of g3s that are now in their 6th season (they get used 2/3 times a week) and they are still bone dry, I haven’t touched them with Aquasure or the like either. That to me is excellent.

I have another pair of the cheaper goretex Simms, headwaters I think they are called, and they also have not leaked, they are one season older than the g3s but don’t get used as often.

I have genuinely hammered the g3s without much care for them at all, I only wipe them clean. I’ve fallen on dams, in rivers and walked through countless wader killing woods and bushes, I even scuffed the stitching off of the right knee area and they are still going.

bazzer485

I’m a full time guide and I wore the same pair of Simms waders for years until I have them to my son, I know wear a pair of Patagonia waders, the only reason I changed is because I got a great deal on a pair of zippered fronts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

webblade

My replacement pair of Simms waders have started leaking around both knees on the same day after about 5 outings. My first pair started leaking at the seams near the knees after 2 or 3 outings so they replaced them with my current pair after about a 6 week wait. The time waiting for them lasted longer than the waders before they leaked after about 5 weeks 😂 . Let me say these are Simms budget Tributary waders that only cost about 200 euros but I don't expect to receive trash just because I can't afford the top of the range. My Redington waders I had before these only cost 130 euros and I got 5 years from them. I can't be bothered sending these back to Simms to wait 6 weeks again for them to return so I will just repair them myself to try get a little longer than 5 weeks from them. Needless to say I will never buy Simms waders again if that's the trash they send to customers. I've heard good things about Wychwood SDS Gorge @ 229 euros so I will try them next season or maybe a pair of Redington waders.

Tangled

I’m a full time guide and I wore the same pair of Simms waders for years until I have them to my son, I know wear a pair of Patagonia waders, the only reason I changed is because I got a great deal on a pair of zippered fronts.
You've brought an image back into my mind of an Argentinian guide hopping on one leg to help me with something or other because his SIMMS waders had a leak in one leg. And me in my £60 travel waders laughing at him.

Mind you, the boot was on the other foot - so to speak - when he led me across a river at a point no-one had used before. I watched him cross. It was deep but very slow. It got to a couple of inches under his wader top right at the other side, but he made it ok so I followed. I got to the deep point and filled up my waders.

He was professionally embarrassed and I was wet. I couldn't work out how it happened, I was a good three inches taller than he was, but it turned out my straps were loose and my bib was lower. Live and learn.

bazzer485

To me the answer to the op is there is nothing wrong with breathable waders, or jackets for that matter, with care they should last many years. If you buy a pair that is badly made, I’m guessing most of them are made in China these days, all of the suppliers in the USA will normally take care of the problem. Of course I’m no idea about other countries
Baz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts