Women in Fly Fishing

SirHarryLewis

Seen this article

What I cant quite believe is this
"Women make up about 31 percent of the 6.5 million Americans who fly-fish, according to the most recent study by the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation"
I can honestly say in all my years fishing in ireland, Ive rarely spotted one fly fishing. A couple years back I saw a guy out with his teenage daughter which gave me hope that my daughter might show an interest in it some day. But its unlikely

Lewis Chessman

I agree, 31% does seem too large. I can't think of one regular poster on the NAFFF who is female - though maybe that says more about male anglers than women!
I get to gillie a fair few women each year and, generally speaking, they're better learners and make fine fishers, often more interested in presentation than distance and effective because of it.

Here's an Orvis video intend to attact women to the sport:

Kinda misses the mark for me, I must say.

shortcircuit

Seen this article

What I cant quite believe is this
"Women make up about 31 percent of the 6.5 million Americans who fly-fish, according to the most recent study by the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation"
I can honestly say in all my years fishing in ireland, Ive rarely spotted one fly fishing. A couple years back I saw a guy out with his teenage daughter which gave me hope that my daughter might show an interest in it some day. But its unlikely
I'm trying to think and the only time I can remember seeing a woman fly fishing was at Ardaire Springs, but in fairness it was the wife the man that owns and runs it!

It's a seriously niche sport here in Ireland so trying to get women into it is even tougher. Its tough enough already to get girls to play "popular" sports like soccer Gaa and rugby.

To my mind the only way we are going to do it is if Dads bring their girls fishing. If they get them into it at that stage then there is a good chance they can stick with it.

In fairness there is some pretty slick social media out there aimed at promoting women in fly fishing. Hopefully that can be of benefit (Orvis 50/50, April Vokey, Marina Gibson etc)

For those of you who have daughters, did you ever try bringing them out fishing, and did you have much success?

baldrico1

For those of you who have daughters, did you ever try bringing them out fishing, and did you have much success?
I took my eldest to local Father son/daughter offers in April and October school holidays. She did catch a couple of fish but I think she preferred the cooked lunches they put on 😂. Much preferred her dancing though. The youngest and my stepdaughter both a definite no when I tried to get them to go.

Danguta

Banned
Banned
Why this obsession with trying to get women involved in flyfishing? I don't see women dominated sports/pastimes bending over backwards to encourage men to participate. I've seen blatantly sexist rubbish, even claiming that women don't litter like men! I can assure you are a very ignorant person if you believe this. And all this nonsense that there are barriers to them participating which is all men's fault of course. What an absolute load of old nonsense. This isn't 19th century Britain.

And we should be trying to encourage EVERYONE. I've only ever once seen a coloured man flyfishing, never an Asian person and once a camp and obviously gay man flyfishing. Certainly livened the atmosphere.

bobnudd

My eldest daughter used to come with me untill she reached her teens. Then she found boys to be more interesting than fishing. Now as she approaches her 40th she is showing interest again and my granddaughter is quite keen as well. My daughter would often do better than me I put that down to me spending most of my time sorting her out. She would tell you different thought

jaybeegee

I once took a girlfriend fishing on the mid Wharfe; it was early evening in summer and she picked up the rudiments of casting quickly so I put her at a big eddy at the tail of a rapid with a big daddy longlegs on, then dropped in just downstream to fish the current and from where I could keep an eye on her. Eventually her fly drifted round and was in danger of snagging in a submerged willow so l suggested she cast out again. As she lifted the rod something big and violent grabbed the fly, the next ten seconds were as exciting as it gets, as what was probably one of the big resident trout did it’s best to pull her in. No contest of course, the tippet snapped clean and she said ‘What do you mean “ give it line “?
🙂

Last edited:

noel

There used to be a fishing coach in the North East of England called Lucy Bowden I am not sure if she still does it .

shortcircuit

Why this obsession with trying to get women involved in flyfishing? I don't see women dominated sports/pastimes bending over backwards to encourage men to participate. I've seen blatantly sexist rubbish, even claiming that women don't litter like men! I can assure you are a very ignorant person if you believe this. And all this nonsense that there are barriers to them participating which is all men's fault of course. What an absolute load of old nonsense. This isn't 19th century Britain.

And we should be trying to encourage EVERYONE. I've only ever once seen a coloured man flyfishing, never an Asian person and once a camp and obviously gay man flyfishing. Certainly livened the atmosphere.
I guess the tackle companies obviously want to sell to the other 50% of the population.

But for me it's just that I think its a shame that the sport is not representative of society as a whole. And you are right it's also people of different backgrounds and ethnicities we need to make feel welcome, not just women.

Plenty of people might be happy to keep the sport "for gentlemen and their sons". I'm not one of them

SirHarryLewis

I'm not aware of this obsession. I do imagine that if you are selling equipment, it's a market you could hope to grow. I just suppose its something that for some reason sits better with men.

My sister and brother boat used a float to pick up some trout when we were kids. The community was big into it at the time because it was easy.

But my sister and brother gave it up after a year or two.

pentlandflyman

Going to try and get my Mrs into it this season, I've had her out for mackerel and she loved it and it was nice doing something together. I wouldn't take her all the time but it would make day trips and holidays more fun and give us something in common. Fly fishing and tying has a huge female following in the USA, some great female tyers around.

eddleston123

I have tried over the years in various ways to get my wife interested in Fly Fishing - to no avail.

The expression she uses contains the words 'eyes' burning needles' 'would rather' 'poke' --

However, all is not lost. I let one of my grand daughters reel in a couple of trout (small) from Loch Rannoch a couple of years ago, and have taken her with me since.

There is hope!

Douglas

swanlee

I think you mean, you've only ever seen a black man flyfishing?

Whinging pom

There’s a series of over edited videos of 4 Muslim guys on You tube I came across one evening who go up fishing the hill lochs in Scotland , which surprised me at first, Couldn’t get from the accents where they were from, sounded like nth England or midlands. We have so many Kashmiris over here now, and that place is brilliant for fly fishing. It’s not surprising that some of them get into it over here too.

And there’s an Iman from Manchester that travels up to Ullapool 4 times a year to bless the salmon passing up to make them Hallal!
I’ve seen Asian lads in the lake district with fly rods too on one of the WADAA waters behind Troutbeck.

I have one client in her 70’s who does a few weeks Salmon fishing every year.

Apart from that the only women I’ve heard having a desire to get into it ( apart from our resident casting goddess Tracy) are from the Chelsea set types who are on the fringes of the hunting/ grouse shooting lot who now know of Marina Gibson and can see themselves doing it for salmon or bone fish , or maybe the Test, Certainly not on some banks of Rutland or Grafham!
Shame really .

ejw

"And all this nonsense that there are barriers to them participating which is all men's fault of course. What an absolute load of old nonsense. This isn't 19th century Britain."
I am afraid it does and I have witnessed it on several occasions. We have a couple of Lady members. One is quite strong mentally and very intelligent, so will give as good (if not better) than she received. In a meeting she was told that as a woman she had a lot to learn and should seek guidance from one of the male members ! She can cast better than most and catch more and better quality fish than 2/3rds of the members ! The other lady, just enjoys the countryside and if she catches it is a bonus. One male members decided (without being asked) to instruct her - beyond her comfort zone, then shouted at her when she could not follow his instruction, so much so there were tears ? I found her like this ! NOT what is needed or expected in these enlightened times ? Or is it.

Reg Wyatt

In fairness there is some pretty slick social media out there aimed at promoting women in fly fishing. Hopefully that can be of benefit (Orvis 50/50, April Vokey, Marina Gibson etc)
Not sure how much these two would encourage women to get into fly fishing? I think they probably attract more men to buy whatever brand they happen to be promoting that month - which is fair enough.
A chapter called 'The Feminine Touch' in the book 'Keeper' is excellent with regard women fly fishers.

Reg Wyatt

swanlee

Because this sort of thing happens...

Record-Salmon-ii(1).jpg

Latest posts