wood pigeon wings

doobrysnatcher

theres 2 woodpigeons out my back every day ,am i allowed to hunt them .or does any one have a link to buy them

BobP

Down here wood pigeon is generally available in good butchers's shop in February after the pheasant season is over. It will depend on how many people are out there shooting them. Most will be sold through a game dealer, so if there is one in your vicinity it could be worth contacting them.

My mother used to make legendary pigeon pie when I was a youngster.

Rob Edmunds

As I understand it you can only despatch if they are causing....

- a danger to health or
- damage crops

Shooting them for the pot isn't allowed although it's an additional benefit.

A "danger to health" is the easy way to go if ever questioned by the police when shooting in your garden with an air rifle. ( which is extremely unlikely if your sensible)

You should have tried other means to first have scared them away ie CDs on a pole etc....so when that didn't work you had no choice but to shoot them....

Wimbledon Tennis Club used the same reasoning a couple of years ago and it was fine..

Pigeon droppings contain "three human diseases, histoplasmosis, cryptococcosis and psittacosis"

These basically affect your lungs and breathing.......hardly an affliction you want right now with Covid.....so its entirely reasonable you wanted to reduce the numbers of Pigeons and their droppings in order to protect your health and that of your family - especially if they are old or have asthma they will be even more susceptible .

Oh just remember that the Air Rifle pellet shouldn't cross your boundary.

The above is my justification if ever questioned...

GEK79

Down here wood pigeon is generally available in good butchers's shop in February after the pheasant season is over. It will depend on how many people are out there shooting them. Most will be sold through a game dealer, so if there is one in your vicinity it could be worth contacting them.

My mother used to make legendary pigeon pie when I was a youngster.
Could you imagine trying to serve a youngster pigeon pie now they'd take a picture and then go urghhhh..😉

4wings

Not much to eat on a Wood pigeon, just the two breast muscles, far more interesting to watch them trying to lay an egg in the fork of a tree with just a couple of cross twigs to balance it on.
They will be extinct soon and their silly short lives will no longer entertain, no more coo-ing.
Silent Spring (Penguin Modern Classics) Paperback – 28 Sept. 2000

by Rachel Carson (Author), Shackleton (Introduction)

ejw

Ahh, never going to be extinct. When threatened by shooting, they go into breading overdrive !! Also 50% - 90% die through starvation when we have a harsh winter, guess what happens in spring, they go into breading overdrive to compensate for the loss. It is the pigeons way of continuing the species.

Rob Edmunds

My eldest lad cooked "Squirrel Pie" for us last Autumn.....with gravey, greens, carrots and roast veg..

It was actually rather nice, and I'd willingly have it again..

As for Pigeons....we love them we have about 150 breasts in the freezer at the moment, along with about the same in partridge and pheasants - my best mate is a keeper on a shoot and the shoot now has to pay the game dealer10p a bird to get rid of them !!

He just gives them away locally...

Wee Jimmy

My eldest lad cooked "Squirrel Pie" for us last Autumn.....with gravey, greens, carrots and roast veg..

My teeth are watering with the thought of it Rob.....did it taste like chicken...🤣

Rob Edmunds

To be honest you could say that.....didn't really have a strong taste at all...but better than supermarket chicken that for sure.....it was really good

A bit like rabbit, but again that's not really that strong either.

It's more of a meaty texture if you know what I mean..

Apparently Squirrel pie is quite normal in the USA - still normal and the USA aren't really associated with each other as far as I'm concerned...

doobrysnatcher

As for Pigeons....we love them we have about 150 breasts in the freezer at the moment, along with about the same in partridge and pheasants - my best mate is a keeper on a shoot and the shoot now has to pay the game dealer10p a bird to get rid of them !!

He just gives them away locally...
any chance of a few wood pigeon wings?

Rob Edmunds

If you want them no problem....you can have squirrel tails too, and pheasant tails if you want

I'll get him to shoot some..PM me an address..

Out of interest what are you intending to tie with them ??

JoeOh

I enjoy the Woodies in my garden but I am aware that they are a pest on arable land. Best kept at a distance, as a local chap here has been surviving on one lung since picking up a disease when his main hobby was keeping pigeons. Often pheasants, rabbits would be freely distributed in the local Grainstore pub after a shoot had taken place locally, but this no longer happens. Please correct me if I am wrong but marbe changes concerning food handling and the creatures having to be plucked, skinned and packaged. Apart from the culinary aspect, a great source of fly tying material gone. But there's always the roadside opportunities for a few feathers !

doobrysnatcher

If you want them no problem....you can have squirrel tails too, and pheasant tails if you want

I'll get him to shoot some..PM me an address..

Out of interest what are you intending to tie with them ??
theres a lot of flies in george barrons book calling for woodpigeon slips

Rob Edmunds

Of all the birds that frequent our garden the 2 I can't stand are Woodies and Magpies.

I just hate the noise wood pigeons make, plus they crap they make all over our washing and fence...

If they enter our garden their days are numbered...

Magpies are just plain evil in my eyes ...

JoeOh

Wow, Rob, I'll just inform my Woodies to avoid your garden like the plague ! No Magpies but loads of Jackdaws if you want them. Not evil, but crafty as hell; so many ways they try to extract seed from the bird feeders. Looking forward to meeting up with some of the local flyfishers in The Grainstore later where we can have a good gripe about the AWA, the hordes of visitors to Rutland, cormaurants, otters etc and then, discussing our plans for pursuing the fish. Cheers

Latest posts