Worm catcher.

Mrtrout

I saw this on you tube a week ago, just press the notched stick on the lawn, then rub the other stick up and down.
i was amazed how many worms suddenly appeared, so I tried it myself and was flabbergasted how many popped up.
72EC5F60-21AF-4A86-A10B-A8C0B4002096.jpeg
S.

jaybeegee

I just love that, it’s just a little bit eccentric and I can picture the Mem rolling her eyes when she sees me using one.....and she will. Thanks S. 😂

B

Mrtrout

probably sends vibrations that sound like rain. That is how the Seagulls do it, called paddling.

Yes probably, we watch the blackbirds paddling and they are very successful, this thing just amazed me how many worms popped up within 30 seconds.
S.

speytime

I think that particular method is called grunting?
If you put your garden fork into the hilt/tang and rattle it back and fourth it has a similar effect.
I'm led to believe the vibration makes them appear because they think it's a predator.

Al

morayfisher

Trust Member
I’ve only ever fly fished for trout but the permit for my local burn says “Bait fishing is permissible but with worm with single hook only, no spinning.”

How would you fish the worm?
Free lined, light ledger or would trotting a float be ok?

jaybeegee

Is this genuine????..

Because if it is a wind up you can now have a good laugh as I'm going to try it 😁😁

Ha ha....you and probably dozens of other forum members, though some maybe won’t own up to it! There will be neighbours curtains twitching all over the British Isles.... what have you done Steven? 😂

B

wobbly face

I’ve only ever fly fished for trout but the permit for my local burn says “Bait fishing is permissible but with worm with single hook only, no spinning.”

Fee line with light ledger/rolling drilled bomb or a couple of split shot depending on depth and water flow.

morayfisher

Trust Member
Fee line with light ledger/rolling drilled bomb or a couple of split shot depending on depth and water flow.

Some very slow moving, deep pools. Maybe 6’+ deep.
That’s what made me think of the float. Also the bottom is very ‘snaggy’. Blocks of rock basically.

speytime

All of the above should be fine, trotting a worm would be my choice.
I use my fly rod and line with 6/7 ft of nylon and a size 12 worm hook, fished in around the seams, eddie's and banks wherever you think fish will be, some use split shot but I've no need for them.
After a spate when it's to dirty for the fly you can have great sport with a worm or grub.

Eta if its snaggy and you need weight use plasticine around a swivel, you can +/- the weight easily to get the right speed down a run, if you get snagged the line normally just pull free.

Al

shropshire_lad

I used to love float fishing worm on small Welsh rivers in spate. I used the small red lively worms called brandlings. A float meant you could guide the bait into likely spots. Caught some nice little trout that way, every pool would hold one.