Worm fly (long shank variation)

len1

If Stan Headley says this fly is indispensable that’s good enough for me.
6C6CE49E-5E5B-4DA2-9B65-C98683DDBEDD.jpeg

easker1

I was tying them before I had even heard of Stan they were in a magazine over 20 years ago an all black one is good, I think they are not so much a worm as a Damsel fly nymph, just a thought easker1

len1

I was tying them before I had even heard of Stan they were in a magazine over 20 years ago an all black one is good, I think they are not so much a worm as a Damsel fly nymph, just a thought easker1
Stan doesn’t lay any claim to them. Just has them in his book ‘Flies of Scotland’. Yeah I think I’ll tie up a few in black to.

easker1

Never seen his book , one of the local lads tied one with blue hackles , I didn't hear how he got on, thinking about this the one I saw was in a book on Welsh patterns, easker1

len1

Never seen his book , one of the local lads tied one with blue hackles , I didn't hear how he got on, thinking about this the one I saw was in a book on Welsh patterns, easker1
I’ve got the Scottish, Irish and Welsh books. As you would expect a lot of crossover and debate about what originated where?
Just glad lockdown restrictions eased and I can get out to fish with them.
Len

bobmiddlepoint

I used to do well early season with one tied with an orange tag and hot orange hackles. I don’t know where that version originated from but I first saw it in a Headley article. Haven’t used it for twenty years for some reason, might give one a run out for old times sake.

Andy

len1

I used to do well early season with one tied with an orange tag and hot orange hackles. I don’t know where that version originated from but I first saw it in a Headley article. Haven’t used it for twenty years for some reason, might give one a run out for old times sake.

Andy
I’m going to give them a wet at Newton tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on.
Len

treecutter

Used to tie them back in the 80's, but I tied in tandem with a stiff link placing the back hook with the gape pointing upwards.
Was quite a deadly pattern.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

len1

Used to tie them back in the 80's, but I tied in tandem with a stiff link placing the back hook with the gape pointing upwards.
Was quite a deadly pattern.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yes that’s in the book to. There are quite a few variations.
Len

len1

The Wormfly is in Vol 2 of Tom Stewart's '50 Popular Flies' (and how to tie them). First published in 1964.

Here is a scan of it...

Col
I inherited those four volumes from my father. Very informative. Amazing how flytying standards have improved since those days!
Len

Cap'n Fishy

Just purely a personal opinion...

I wouldn't ever bother trying to tie it on a longshank hook. What is the point? There are 1001 patterns better suited to tying on a longshank hook than trying to tie 2 red tags, fore and aft. If you want to fish 2 red tags, tie a wormfly the way Tom Stewart does.

Col

easker1

but it did say a long shank Hook? it's a one that I use rather than faff about joining the hooks and it works well enough for me, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

but it did say a long shank Hook? it's a one that I use rather than faff about joining the hooks and it works well enough for me, easker1

Like I said... just purely a personal opinion. If I'm starting with a longshank hook, there's 101 flies I would tie before I tied 2 red tags fore-and-aft on it.

But I'm not knocking it for anyone who it works for...

Col

len1

Incidentally always meant to find out what the older writers are on about when they say things like size 14 or 12 old style.

easker1

Like I said... just purely a personal opinion. If I'm starting with a longshank hook, there's 101 flies I would tie before I tied 2 red tags fore-and-aft on it.

But I'm not knocking it for anyone who it works for...

Col
Wow there's a surprise, easker1

Latest posts