Woven nymphs

luke troutstalker

Banned
Banned
Had a bash at these tonight. Not sure if its worth the faff, but quite enjoyable to tie.

Attempts 1,2,3 left to right. Pics are a bit crud.

1 is a single strand of each olive and gold darning thread, a bit bobbins but finished it anyway. Not enough of a contrast in colour.

2 is a double strand of each black and gold darning thread. A bit neater.

3 is two slightly different colours of some really glossy thread I nicked of some dangly bits off the lounge curtains. Again not much of a contrast.

I'll be paying a visit to the sewing shop tommorrow :whistle:

luke-troutstalker-albums-chuff-picture12971-image.jpg

baztek1

I wouldn't even know where to start with them is there a sbs on the web ?

Looking good though I would give them a swim :)

luke troutstalker

Banned
Banned
Baz,

This dude explains it quite well. I watched a few, and it didn't really click till I saw this one.

[ame=http://youtu.be/BeXp3OZ8Hc4]Polish Woven Nymph - April 2009 TPO Fly of the Month - YouTube[/ame]

tupps

Sit tight on the sewing shop Mike I've got just what you need by the handful ....... in some pretty sexy bug colours too . :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

What ever that message contained it malfunction :(

luke troutstalker

Banned
Banned
The trick I am missing is keeping the weave tight, it's hard to see what's going on when tying upside down, which seems to be the norm. I'll try a late night special 3/4 down a bottle of red, see what happens :eek:mg:

luke troutstalker

Banned
Banned
Picked up some embroidery yarn, 25p a pop :)

That's my weaving done for now, finished with a couple of caddis things. Time for some field testing :thumbs:

luke-troutstalker-albums-chuff-picture12979-image.jpg

Mark Morton

Nice ties.

I have tied quite a few but never ever caught a cold on one yet. They really do look as if they should do the job and obviously do for some or they would not have become so prominent. When tying/weaving I found that by facing the hook towards me rather than sideways, I can a) get an even weave, and b) keep everything tight. The weave technique certainly suits caddis. As my teacher used to say, " Must try harder", persevere and I might catch something on one.

mick7662492

Nice job Luke. I find it a lot easier to keep control of the weave if spool the yarn and use two bobbin holders. Its very easy when you get the hang of it. The secret is to get a nice smooth underbody before beginning the weave. You should also try contrasting colours of wire, you can get some nice effects and it doesn't slide around as much. Heres one thats worked well for me, even did a SBS. http://www.flyforums.co.uk/fly-tying-patterns-step-step/278201-sbs-woven-olive-nymph.html

mick7662492-albums-few-my-tyings-picture10877-dscf1118.jpg

Latest posts