Writing on a blank

rcmor

Greetings all what is best for writing on a rod blank,?like line weight etc, thanks

arkle

When I was building rods a few years ago, we used a normal fine dip - pen, with a mapping nib & Chinese white drawing ink.

Guest105

I'm not into rod building but I have seen some stickers for rods that can be personalised, forgot where though. :eek:mg:

dgn1

Hi,
In the past I have printed off what i require on a clear tape,advantage being that on the model i used you could alter the fonts for different effects.Then just pull off the backing and placed it onto the rod,then give it a coating of high build which accentuates the lettering,then finish with your usual varnish.Hope this helps.

Regards David

ROVER

I often use a metallic rollerball gel pen for writing on my custom made nets, and have done the same on blanks in the past, ive tried the 0.8mm jobbies like the ones in the post above and they area a bit thick for my liking, but the rollerball looks hugely neater. You just need to give the ink a day or so to dry out then give it a swift single pass of varnish to seal it- any more passes will 're-wet' the ink and cause it to smudge. After the sealing coat is dry more coats/highbuild can be added without disturbing the ink. The ink takes to the blank better if you rough up the surface ever so slightly first with fine wet and dry (not visible when varnished).I'd practice a couple of times first, but it does work well.

Crappy photo, but gives a good idea of how well it looks...
20150208_164907a.jpg

Graeme

8ft4wt

I often use a metallic rollerball gel pen for writing on my custom made nets, and have done the same on blanks in the past, ive tried the 0.8mm jobbies like the ones in the post above and they area a bit thick for my liking, but the rollerball looks hugely neater.

Graeme

Graeme,
I've always struggled with this, so am always looking for a better method. Your photo looks great - could you reveal the make & model of the rollerball you used?
Many thanks,
Martin

ROVER

No problem,

I haven't tried many since this one works for me, so there may be better out there, but I use a ZEBRA JIMNIE GEL ROLLERBALL - MEDIUM in gold or silver

Regards

Graeme

8ft4wt

Thank you; will try it on my next build.
Best,
Martin

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk