Writing on Rods

original cormorant

This is a heads up to say how impressed and pleased I am with the ZIG Posterman pen I bought yesterday for £2.50 from my local art supplies shop. It has a 0.5mm point and it's a really opaque white.

As well as for permanent writing on the completed rod I also used it to draw working alignment lines on the blanks.

It's about 20 years since I previously built a rod so may be I shouldn't be so amazed. The postman has just delivered the alcohol for thinning the two part epoxy - no more humbrol varnish!!

fredaevans

One trick, wrong word, is the identification of a rod as 'yours'.' A tonne of a given rod are built and all look exactly the same. If yours is 'light fingered' very easy to identify.

That worked for the Pawn Shop owner and the Medford, Oregon Police....

fae

G

guest37226

Quick question how easy is it to REMOVE handwriting on rods. I have a Scott custom rod with the original owners name on it . How easy is to remove without damaging the blank.

fredaevans

Quick question how easy is it to REMOVE handwriting on rods. I have a Scott custom rod with the original owners name on it . How easy is to remove without damaging the blank.
Thin down some paint stripper and give it a light go with a sponge. YOu do not want to use anything abrasive!

original cormorant

Thats my worry !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't understand why you think this is a problem, of course the writing will have been protected by varnish or epoxy otherwise it would have worn off.
I'm no expert on this stuff but surely all you need to do is rub it down with very fine paper, then re-varnish/epoxy that area - perhaps writing your own name on there first! For a small cosmetic job like this you could almost certainly use fly-tying varnish - but then I'm no expert and not a perfectionist.

liphook

Do not go anywhere near a blank with paint stripper! A picture would help tell the 1000 words. Is it actually written on or is it a decal? Is it covered with resin?