Wulff or BHFTN.

Perch@1

On local river I fished Wulff fly up stream and missed bites, dry fly is so enjoyable but hard. I reached tunnel sat on pipe and changed fly Wulff to BHFTN. Then looked beneath my feet and Trout where gathering in the scilence, beautiful sight.

Cast out with BHFTN and took Trout and bites. Enjoyable fishing experience early morning summer.

Attachments

• IMG_20210719_084026.jpg
    IMG_20210719_084026.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 46

eddleston123

Excuse my ignorance - but what is a BHFTN - I'm sure it must be something obvious, but I'm a bit slow today.

You seem to have had an enjoyable morning with trout and bites. Well done.

Douglas

Whinging pom

..”dry fly is so enjoyable but hard.”

it really should not be. if they’re coming to the fly your obviously not spooking them or putting them off with drag.
I presume your talking Royal Wullf.
Few questions come to mind :-
what size fly ?
did you tie them or are they shop bought?
And do you have Dace in your river ?

webblade

it really should not be if they’re coming to the fly your obviously not spooking them or putting them off with drag.
what size ?
Curious about the Dace question as I have Dace in mine?

Whinging pom

Curious about the Dace question as I have Dace in mine?
They are really aggressive risers to drifted dries and produce much more disturbance than there diminutive size. For us they do seem to get into the food lanes unless there’s tout there and look like repeat rises. But you have to be lightning quick to connect with them .
And if the wulffs are shop bought and large the hackles tend to be really stiff and bounce off.
the fact the the trout were taking weighted nymphs seems to indicate they weren’t switched in to a rise .., Dace aren’t the selective .

webblade

They are really aggressive risers to drifted dries and produce much more disturbance than there diminutive size. For us they do seem to get into the food lanes unless there’s tout there and look like repeat rises. But you have to be lightning quick to connect with them .
And if the wulffs are shop bought and large the hackles tend to be really stiff and bounce off.
the fact the the trout were taking weighted nymphs seems to indicate they weren’t switched in to a rise .., Dace aren’t the selective .
Yes they are very hard to catch on the dry sometimes. Whenever I keep missing a repeat riser and finally catch him, it almost always turns out to be a dace. They can sometimes be a right pain in the ass as they get to the fly quicker than trout. They can be fun to catch though.

Whinging pom

Yes they are very hard to catch on the dry sometimes. Whenever I keep missing a repeat riser and finally catch him, it almost always turns out to be a dace. They can sometimes be a right pain in the ass as they get to the fly quicker than trout. They can be fun to catch though.
I hate to hijack a thread but if I’m taking a friend on the stream I put them onto a shoal of Dace first for five mins to tighten up their line management and reactions

I personally feel really satisfied catching a Dace it means I’m “on it”.
Some seem to hit the surface with their mouths wide open that leaves a large circular wake.. it looks like a good trouts come up. I’m not sure if it’s a tactic to drown larger flies like Mays and Sedges.

Perch@1

Excuse my ignorance - but what is a BHFTN - I'm sure it must be something obvious, but I'm a bit slow today.

You seem to have had an enjoyable morning with trout and bites. Well done.

Douglas
Sorry Eddleston 123,
Bead Head Phesant Tail nymph, don't want to confuse Fly Fishing Forum your all good guys.

Neil 🎣

Perch@1

it really should not be. if they’re coming to the fly your obviously not spooking them or putting them off with drag.
what size fly ?
Dry fly I do find enjoyable but hard, yes I'm learning about dry fly. I'm familiar 'ish with nymph fishing but there again I'm Learning all the time and love it.

I was using White Wullf and probably too large a hook. Fly is shop bought but I would like to tie Fly myself. Dace are not present in my swim, wish they was!

Thanks for comments Whinging pom

Neil 🎣

Whinging pom

If it happens again try going smaller and maybe something softer like a CDC F Fly. I think you’ll find with the softer feathers the hooks sets more reliably.

I love Wulffs they are one of two flies I go to when I’m at a loss what to do. I have a few 14 for rough times but most in my box are 16 with quite soft hackles.( 18’s I find too challenging to tie Im afraid). My hackles are less dense and softer then typical shop bought ones.
I and a few other people I’ve talked to have a problem with Wulffs and Adams and that are shop bought or too big they have masses of hackle. The trout react quite aggressively like after a sedge about to skit away quickly and the hackles seem to bounce out without the hook setting. Try and find some F flys …. and if you can’t find Wulffs on 16’s Pm me and I’ll happily send you a few of mine to try .

Perch@1

If it happens again try going smaller and maybe something softer like a CDC F Fly. I think you’ll find with the softer feathers the hooks sets more reliably.

I love Wulffs they are one of two flies I go to when I’m at a loss what to do. I have a few 14 for rough times but most in my box are 16 with quite soft hackles.( 18’s I find too challenging to tie Im afraid). My hackles are less dense and softer then typical shop bought ones.
I and a few other people I’ve talked to have a problem with Wulffs and Adams and that are shop bought or too big they have masses of hackle. The trout react quite aggressively like after a sedge about to skit away quickly and the hackles seem to bounce out without the hook setting. Try and find some F flys …. and if you can’t find Wulffs on 16’s Pm me and I’ll happily send you a few of mine to try .
Thanks Whinging pom yes next move is try size 16's.
Trout more except size 16, interesting learning about flys to use down local river. Thanks for info it's opening up new feilds for me.

Neil 🎣

Latest posts