Wychwood drift, euro nymphing rods

barden neil

Wondered if anyone was using a 10’ or 11’ wychwood drift, obviously fairly new to the market but seems very reasonably priced. Tried out a friends Vision nymphmaniac 11’ 3# last week and was very impressed, very sensitive and despite its length very light and manageable. However it’s well over £300 and I’m not sure I’m ready to spend so much on a rod that’s a one trick pony. Any thoughts??

The Squire

I’ve not tried any of the rods you mention but would imagine that the Wychwood will be quite a workhorse and suitable for the job it was designed for. I do struggle a bit with exactly how much you can refine and hence price a rod that ain’t exactly going to do a great deal of conventional casting.

eddleston123

Hi Barden Neil,

I have an 11' 3# Wychwood drift rod.

It has caught me quite a number of grayling (and to a lesser extent trout)

It is to me a well finished rod and excellent value for money.

Now, I am not an expert grayling angler, but I love it for French nymphing. The length alone gives me great control and holds the line off the water.

They currently retail at £134.00 - but you can buy one from ''Uttings'' at an incredible £99.00
That's were I bought mine.

You can also Dry Fly fish with this rod, but you do sacrifice a bit of accuracy. It is primarily a nymphing rod.

Hopes this helps.

Douglas

Last edited:

barden neil

Hi Barden Neil,

I have an 11' 3# Wychwood drift rod.

It has caught me quite a number of grayling (and to a lesser extent trout)

It is to me a well finished rod and excellent value for money.

Now, I am not an expert grayling angler, but I love it for French nymphing. The length alone gives me great control and holds the line off the water.

They currently retail at £134.00 - but you can buy one from ''Uttings'' at an incredible £99.00
That's were I bought mine.

You can also Dry Fly fish with this rod, but you do sacrifice a bit of accuracy. It is primarily a nymphing rod.

Hopes this helps.

Douglas
Thanks Douglas , really appreciate your feedback 👍👍

b13rux

When i first started tightlining last year i used the 9' 3wt drift and its great, such good value, for the price its awesome. I would have preferred the 10' as i fish smaller rivers and an 11' is a little overkill, but nowhere had any stock, the 10' 3 seemed very popular so i went for the 9'. For the price, as an entry to the market it is fantastic, well thought out and finished.

Having said that i upgraded to a guideline LPS which was £180 from GAC and that is next level, its just so sensitive, a really lovely rod to use, but will also cast a dry fly really nicely. For sure though if you want to get into euro nymphing either is a great start.

tarmangie

I have had the 11foot 3 weight for two seasons and would thoroughly recommed it.

barden neil

Thanks for all your replies, I understand from Wychwood that a small amount of 11’ 3wt rods will be available from mid October, apparently they sold out 12 months ago and haven’t been able to re stock due to supply chain problems. May have to pre order with GAC and keep my fingers crossed 🤞🤞

roirizla

I bought the 10foot 3weight in April and have used it a heck of a lot this summer. Initially Nymphing but then later for dry fly fishing. Great for high sticking it or mending with your legs :)

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

rabmax

What about one of these bad boys.Just watched the review.I will likely never own one.I just wouldn't pay £700 for a fly rod.Look's like some rod though.My nymphomaniac will do me.

running bear

What about one of these bad boys.Just watched the review.I will likely never own one.I just wouldn't pay £700 for a fly rod.Look's like some rod though.My nymphomaniac will do me.
Not unusual to get at least 10% and upto 20% discount on a new Hardy just by asking a dealer. I haven't tried any of the new ultralites but the preceeding Zephrus' are all very good, and many people are willing to pay a premium for a relatively smaller percetage increase in performance. Used versions may start to showup after a while.

I'd be interested in a review on the 9'2" #3, and how it performs with a fly line for dries, and also smaller river nymphing. There are still relatively few 9' #3s out there.

barden neil

I’ve also spotted a newcomer, Orvis have added a 10’ 3wt & 10’ 2wt to the Clearwater lineup apparently completely re designed as a euro nymph rod with more sensitive tip and reversed screw reel seat. …..interesting the Clearwater has a great reputation and is sensibly priced although a lot dearer than the Wychwood, hopefully some reviews will start to appear.

Latest posts