wychwood fly lines...OK or not?

kreid

I am seeing a couple of good deals on wychwood fly lines, namely a 4 weight floater, a feather down model...anyone used a wychwood fly line before?

Mrtrout

I am seeing a couple of good deals on wychwood fly lines, namely a 4 weight floater, a feather down model...anyone used a wychwood fly line before?
Big fan of them, the delicate presentation ones, £20 or less.
S.

profpatpending

No association with Wychwood other than being a massive fan of their fly lines, the Charles Jardine presentation is the best dry fly I’ve ever fished with, pure magic. Their ‘drop dry’ wader bag is pretty special too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

goldenolive

Yes, They the wychwood lines I have tried are very good value for money.
I particularly like the "big Dipper" sink tip fly line.

kreid

I coarse fish as well and I haven't met a wychwood product I didn't like, I have a couple of their pike rods, a carryall and various stuff and they are all VG for the money. Just fly lines can be tricky.I have ordered a thistledown 3 WF for dry fihing etc.

sewinbasher

I have Charles Jardine presentation lines in 4wt and 5wt and find them very good irrespective of being very reasonably priced. I like the matt green colour.

sakuraba1982

The wychwood flylines are great value for money

The rocket taper is a great taper for smashing through the wind

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BobP

I bought one of their intermediates which I haven't had a chance to use yet. However, I don't rate their Rover net. It looks the business, but I've gone through 3 of them. I'm a fly fishing guide so a good extending landing net is a prerequisite. No good being on the banks of the Kennet or wherever with a client who has a good fish on and I can't reach the thing with the landing net. The Rover ticked that box well enough, but the fault lay in the flick-over system which failed on two of the nets. The third one was trashed by some client's children, so not Wychwood's fault.

I ended up buying a McLean net which does not reach as far but is acceptable.

jack_russell

I can vouch for the big dipper line - casts really well & presents the flies well - a good line from the boat or bank,
Good value for money too!

skajtrout

Oh I love Wychwood, good honest well made gear at decent money. Our “team net” - the one me and my mate always take out in the boat with us - is a Wychwood Boatman which extends to, oh I dunno, a long bloody way, 8 feet or so. I use it all the time for everything, brilliant piece of kit. I have a McLeans net but like all “trout nets” the handle is nowhere near long enough, quite how you’re expected to land a fish using a 15 foot leader with a 3 foot long landing net, I do not know.

I use a net float on my Wychwood net, a hangover from my coarse days. Funny, I’ve never seen another fluff chicken using one but I wouldn’t be without it, makes life so much easier landing fish.

Skaj

- - - Updated - - -

*The above should read “fluff chucker” not chicken, bloody autocorrect on my phone. I may also have had a glass or three of Bordeaux. Ahem.

skajtrout

Oh, but the OP was asking about Wychwood lines (that’s your fault getting me banging on about nets, Bob) and I’m a huge fan. I think I’ve bored everone enough about them previously so I’ll just say this (and as ever, I am in full agreement with Roger) buy a Wychwood Connect Rocket taper for £24 off the Bay. Best line/deal going.

Skaj

vital

Agree all the foregoing; had the excellent CJ designed/helped/promoted/sponsored 'presentation' four weight a couple of years and cannot fault it, so have just purchased the new range's three weight floater for the new season on a Hampshire chalk stream. Excellent VFM, good products.

Mrtrout

Agree all the foregoing; had the excellent CJ designed/helped/promoted/sponsored 'presentation' four weight a couple of years and cannot fault it, so have just purchased the new range's three weight floater for the new season on a Hampshire chalk stream. Excellent VFM, good products.
Had a few of the CJ ones #4 s all great lines, I’d be interested to hear what you think of the new Connect series.
I feel they are the same line reboxed, in fact I hope they are..
S.

roger h 10

Had a few of the CJ ones #4 s all great lines, I’d be interested to hear what you think of the new Connect series.
I feel they are the same line reboxed, in fact I hope they are..
S.
Having used both I'm pretty sure they're the same line but now they don't have to pay CJ to endorse them!!

LLyn Ogwen

I would rather use string than the Charles Jardine line I bought one recently stretched it as you do loaded it and went to use it what a plile of poo stretched it agian and it still coiled up after a figure of eight stretched it HARD again even had 2 trout in excess of 5lb on it ....binne dit in hte shed never to be used again PILE OF POO.

Dave

roger h 10

I would rather use string than the Charles Jardine line I bought one recently stretched it as you do loaded it and went to use it what a plile of poo stretched it agian and it still coiled up after a figure of eight stretched it HARD again even had 2 trout in excess of 5lb on it ....binne dit in hte shed never to be used again PILE OF POO.

Dave
If it's a CJ one it must have been old stock as they stopped using his name a fair while ago. Maybe it had been stored badly.

Mrtrout

Dave
Why would you stretch a new line before loading it Dave??
All mine are the CJ ones never had a moments problem with any of them, very strange.
S.