X line fluorocarbon

len1

Had the above recommended to me for lure and wet fly fishing for stockies. Apparently only available on eBay. Anyone any experience with it?

Mr Notherone

I hardly ever use flourocarbon so no experience, but my nephew uses it because it's sold as carp line and is cheap. It's not only available on eBay - plenty of on-line tackle shops sell it.

Bobfly2

I use G3 and prefer it, the maxcatch stuff is ok too, however I've been using sinking nylon with good effect over the last few months
Sinking nylon ... ?? What brand and name is that? Higher density ?

len1

It's ok. But nothing special. But it is cheap.
Cheap is nice. Actually I’m doing a bit of experimenting at the moment. Currently using Maxima fluoro rather than my standard Fulling Mill. Convinced my catch rate is well down :-((

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Cheap is nice. Actually I’m doing a bit of experimenting at the moment. Currently using Maxima fluoro rather than my standard Fulling Mill. Convinced my catch rate is well down :-((
Oddly I did same thing about five or so years ago.
Always used Fulling mill for trout and salmon here.
Tried maxima in Cuba (price point), and caught, tried my usual fulling mill, (both brands at 15lbs for bones).
Caught many more with the maxima, in same areas where I had little success with fulling mill!
Not a confidence issue, given my use of fulling mill world class, and no experience of Maxima!

1walker1

i use 6lb for drys . 8ld wets and pulling. must use fig of 8 knot for droppers
best flro. ever used. would not be without x line.

len1

i use 6lb for drys . 8ld wets and pulling. must use fig of 8 knot for droppers
best flro. ever used. would not be without x line.
That’s really interesting to know. Used to use fig of 8 knots back in my climbing days. Will give X line a go.

Tangled

Apparently it's very round too. What a pile of marketing tosh. Not a single piece of real information.

Paul_B

Would you mind having a look then Paul...if it’s not too much hassle like...:D

I've had a look this morning, its Drennan feeder & method I often use this in combination with a
Gardeners HD-Floater made up leader so only the tippet sinks.

1638357348985.png

Wee Jimmy

I've had a look this morning, its Drennan feeder & method I often use this in combination with a
Gardeners HD-Floater made up leader so only the tippet sinks.

View attachment 46022
Thanks Paul...., I notice the stated diameter is quite high for the breaking strain which is a pity . I'm very interested in a nylon to use with dries which would sink on its own accord without dragging sparse/skinny flies under, the way flurocarbon does. What methods have you been trying with it...?

Paul_B

Thanks Paul...., I notice the stated diameter is quite high for the breaking strain which is a pity . I'm very interested in a nylon to use with dries which would sink on its own accord without dragging sparse/skinny flies under, the way flurocarbon does. What methods have you been trying with it...?

I like G3 but didn't find a problem with the thicker line, I use it for dries but I like to use alpacka hair when tying so they float better, with this line I can get them just under the surface if I give them a quick tug.

Wee Jimmy

I like G3 but didn't find a problem with the thicker line, I use it for dries but I like to use alpacka hair when tying so they float better, with this line I can get them just under the surface if I give them a quick tug.
Yeah some of the patterns I like to use are skinny for a reason, I don't want them to float better but it rules out using any type of flurocarbon. The ten second lift off and recast technique is not appropriate for the bulk of the situations I'll be using them in.

Paul_B

I don't use the recast method either, I let them sit for a bit then give a tug to sink them and give a gentle retrieve, this seems to get the trout who are surface shy. 🐟

Latest posts