Yarn indicators

eddleston123

Does anyone know were I can get the little plastic tubes which are used to make a loop to hold a yarn indicator.

I have plenty yarn (and the little hook thing) but only a couple of these tiny tubes

Hope this is understandable.

Douglas

The Squire

Have a look on the Troutbitten website for Dorsey Yarn Indicator, they work a treat and the 'tubes' are dental bands. If you've got some suitable yarn then the bands are cheap as chips.

tangled

Do you know any salmon anglers? If so the soft plastic tubing they use to hold the hook on a tube fly would probably do it.

rabmax

I make my yarn indicators with a braid loop on them.I just loop it on/off my leader as needed.I was using float stops to attach before.If anyone is looking for cheap N/Zealand wool.Look-up merino roving wool tops on ebay.Way cheaper & the same stuff.

Rhithrogena

Hello Douglas,

Much useful information here;

2mm silicone tubing available from many sellers on auction sites e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193045080205

I use the Dorsey style orthodontic, as you don't need a tool; https://troutbitten.com/2017/03/30/dorsey-yarn-indicator-everything-need-know-little/

Orthodontic bands for this method available here;

Hope this helps,
Rich

icejohn

Well I spent a ton of time messing with tubing and wool idea.

Short ans after lots of testing.....just stick with them foam football type or plastic thing mabobber. Reason being they always work just have a couple sat in the fly box.

So elastic/ rubber perishs so when u need it most it's.... Yeah don't use anything rubber based or black type bands.

So tubing you need silicon 2mm 2.5mm found on eBay.

If u need bigger then the nz indicator tubing is more your thing as you will be using alot more wool to hold your flies up.

Last edited:

rabmax

I could never get the Dorsey with the bands to work.It would never slide easy & my tippet would cut the bands.I think the Americans often add there indicators to butt section of leaders.I only really use yarn indicators when the wind is a problem.But I much prefer yarn over football types.I like that you get more feedback what's happening with your nymphs with yarn.

BobP

I've been fishing indicators on rivers and stillwaters for over 40 years and have tried just about every one there is apart from the Thinga ones which I consider to be highly obtrusive. I have watched videos of them in use and the splash they make is enough to write them off together with their bouyancy making them likely for fish to eject a nymph very quickly.

I started making up wool indicators around about 1982/83 for use at Farmoor and consider the current NZ method of attachment to be about as good as it gets. My river indicators are natural sheeps wool and the reservoir ones are bright red Egg yarn.

The beauty of the NZ system is the ease with which the depth can be altered or the switch made from nymph to dry. Takes a little longer the other way, but there is no need to break down leaders etc.

I have bought extra tubing from Ebay so that is a good place to start. 2mm id is all that is needed. Any bigger and a bigger chunk of wool will be needed with the inherent impact on casting.

The more bouyant Fish Pimp types are OK for more turbulent freestone rivers. The stick on ones are useless.

b13rux

I had an unfortunate event on the river that resulted in me loosing all my indicator tubing I bought as part of the ‘NZ indicator kit’ adamant I wasn’t going to pay £9 for a refill I went to angling direct to have a browse, after some searching I found this pole silicone in 1mm for £1.99

I've tested it and works fine for me 👍 and fits on the needle fine. actually I find it a little more supple and forgiving than the original so its ideal. I don't suspend huge flies but seems to hold up well even with tungsten beads.

4176AB53-2A42-49B3-AAE9-1171DDDD4FF0.jpeg

You want the 1mm

Iberian

I like to tie the yarn to a small length (2-3 inches) of fine (6x) mono then attach the other end of fine mono to the leader with a clinch knot. This knot is then tightened such that it grips the leader material so that you can slide it up and down the leader to adjust for depth but is sufficiently snug that it stays in the desired position - a kind of movable dropper.

grandad keith

Hello Douglas,

Much useful information here;

2mm silicone tubing available from many sellers on auction sites e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193045080205

I use the Dorsey style orthodontic, as you don't need a tool; https://troutbitten.com/2017/03/30/dorsey-yarn-indicator-everything-need-know-little/

Orthodontic bands for this method available here;

Hope this helps,
Rich
Regarding the 2mm tubing I have just taken delivery of some ,beware no way is this even similar to the tubing supplied with the NZ indicator kit . the original is clear 1mm id / 2mm od,the stuff from E Bay is 2mm id/6mm od and nearly white ,Whilst I haven't fished with it it seems way too heavy and clunky to do the job, and being bigger in the bore it won't fit on the carrier needle.

Latest posts