Yarn indicators

spudgun

Try looking for Alpaca birds nest filling. I got a packet from ebay, but I looked the other day and it's gone up in price. Small pack is a lifetime supply for you and your mates.
Cheers

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

4wings

Would one of these do the job?
View attachment 32007View attachment 32007
Baiting Needles around £3
Just another handy tool A captive spring hook, if you can find one, also useful for holding flies to be photographed.

Last edited:

rabmax

That can't be much more than a mile from my house.I will contact them & see if they will sell me a bit to try.Maybe a cream/white colour for fly wings.I can see Ivory coloured polypropylene.Be interesting to see how it compaires with polypropylene.Cheers

Paul_B

That can't be much more than a mile from my house.I will contact them & see if they will sell me a bit to try.Maybe a cream/white colour for fly wings.I can see Ivory coloured polypropylene.Be interesting to see how it compaires with polypropylene.Cheers
I use the black a lot for my drys as the fluorocarbon leader can sink but the fly doesn't :)

plus chop it up a bit and it makes good dubbing,

Cooperman

I believe alpaca wool has hollow fibres so should be very buoyant. I need to make some checks but please pm me as I have access to large supplies of brown or natural colour, I’m sure will be cheaper than the commercially available sheep’s wool.

shortcircuit

Just a note on this: I have been playing around with the yarn indicator secured Dorsey-style to the leader using the dental band. Have been using polypropylene yarn that I got from AliExpress.

I was testing with a pint glass of water and I made up a big fluffy indicator and hung a small tungsten beadhead nymph off the indicator. It immediately sunk like a stone. I said to myself, what a load of rubbish.

Then I remembered someone saying that using floatant on the yarn made a big difference. I re-fluffed up the yarn , then applied some Gink and brushed it right through the fibres. Dropped in the water and the yarn was floating like a cork. Came back hours later and was still suspending the nymph perfectly.

Later on I tried the same indicator with that small nymph plus a size 8 double tungsten bead nymph with a wire body and uv resin over the wire -this nymph sinks insanely fast. The indicator sat a bit lower in the water but held it up all the same.

Another one I have been playing around with is using booby cord pieces, about an inch long. Attached the same way to the leader using the dental band. I didn't secure to the middle of the cord, instead it is secured near one end.
The great thing about them is that when the nymph is suspended normally, they lie flat on the surface, like a cigarette butt floating downstream. However, I was able to simulate a subtle take by dropping in another nymph on a length of tippet secured to the bend of the suspended nymph.

Before the cord will go down altogether, the secured end will sink and the unsecured end will actually raise up (like the Titanic sinking!). I think this might be a good way of detecting subtle takes that would be missed by other types of indicator

BobP

I believe alpaca wool has hollow fibres so should be very buoyant. I need to make some checks but please pm me as I have access to large supplies of brown or natural colour, I’m sure will be cheaper than the commercially available sheep’s wool.
Won't be cheaper than the sheep's wool I use. That is free and readily available. I've probably got enough to see me out, but you can be certain that come shearing time I'll be taking the dogs for a walk along where the sheep wool is stored and another orange-sized ball of fresh white wool will be "borrowed".

Cap'n Fishy

The guy who owns this company is a member on here...

Vicuña Dubbing

He sent me some packs of his dubbing in return for some materials I sent him.

It says it is alpaca wool, so I'm not sure why he called it vicuña, as they are different animals?

Col

Cap'n Fishy

I did buy some Col, but when I tried it it either split or wouldn’t hold the yarn properly, the best thing I’ve come across is an empty biro tube. cut into short bits, appreciate the heads up though.
S.

No bother, Steven. I thought the stuff in that second link would be fairly like biro tube.

Col