Yarn indicators

taffy1

Sorry, but that thing taffy posted was a case of TLDNR. There seemed to be 12 stages to making an O ring? :unsure: The way I do it, it takes a few seconds to prepare a couple of pieces of silicone tubing, and then it takes a few seconds to attach one to the leader. What could be simpler?

But whatever works for each of us, eh?
Messenger not promoter. Let thee & all that cast the first stone eh.

rabmax

I'm struggling to picture this - do you have a link to show this please?
This should give you the idea
I have used the orange backing barrel loads in the past.And trout & grayling sometimes try to eat the barrel instead of the dry fly.I just bought some 15lb gravel brown drennan coarse fishing braid.It's much smaller diameter than 20lb braided backing.(Works good though)If you are still not sure give us a shout.I am home tomorrow from working.I can take a few pictures if you are still unsure.Cheers

Reactions: JRT

Cap'n Fishy

Messenger not promoter. Let thee & all that cast the first stone eh.

No stones being cast. Just making an honest comment about the thing you posted a link to. I restricted my comments to addressing the article and I even apologised for my comments! What more do you want? :)

Besides, Steven has tried those and they slip. 😜

JRT

This should give you the idea
I have used the orange backing barrel loads in the past.And trout & grayling sometimes try to eat the barrel instead of the dry fly.I just bought some 15lb gravel brown drennan coarse fishing braid.It's much smaller diameter than 20lb braided backing.(Works good though)If you are still not sure give us a shout.I am home tomorrow from working.I can take a few pictures if you are still unsure.Cheers
Perfect. Totally get it now. Thanks

BobP

I don't know about you guys, but when I'm fishing fiddly is something I do not need. Simplicity rules in my angling world.

Cooperman

It’s a work in progress but I thought I’d share my modified NZ indicator as shown. It just needs 2 extra short pieces of tubing threaded on the line. A short piece of reed then locks it to prevent the troublesome problem of the indicator sliding around which can be a nuisance. I cut the top off an old float for the example in the photo. If you want to change to dry fly the reed simply slips out and you can then slide off the tubing before tying on the dry fly.

Attachments

• BB34F0DE-6EC0-4FF9-A657-669874F3C786.jpeg
    BB34F0DE-6EC0-4FF9-A657-669874F3C786.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 50

rabmax

Guess it depends how good you are with certain knots.I fish this on my euro leader.I always have a braid barrel on already.I simply tie a fo8 loop knot on a bit of mono.Loop it on & tie a dry on.Probably takes me about 1 minute.I use thumb dressing forceps on my zinger to tie fo8 knots.When.i go back to straight nymphing.I just loop the dry dropper off & put it in a tin in my vest.Sometimes i change back & forth through the day.Seems pretty simple & efficient way to me.

wjg

Cooperman, that does seem to be a lot of plastic pieces to avoid using a slip on or thread thru "fish pimp" type indicator. Esthetical considerations may govern.

Cooperman

As I say it’s a work in progress. The reed could be shorter and the tubing need only be probably 2mm per side. It’s meant to be a modified NZ indicator to stop slip, it works and at virtually no cost. The extra weight is negligible and I don’t think it’s more cumbersome than some other indicators. It certainly is easy to use and allows change from nymph to dry without any knots required etc. It just came into my head as a possible solution to a problem.

wjg

It is part of the fun in the journey. Do continue to tinker, if you enjoy it. I have many indicators I devised. Mostly out of desperation or non-available options nearby for purchase.

Mrtrout

It’s a work in progress but I thought I’d share my modified NZ indicator as shown. It just needs 2 extra short pieces of tubing threaded on the line. A short piece of reed then locks it to prevent the troublesome problem of the indicator sliding around which can be a nuisance. I cut the top off an old float for the example in the photo. If you want to change to dry fly the reed simply slips out and you can then slide off the tubing before tying on the dry fly.
Is that CDC you’re using?
S.

shortcircuit

Just an update on this I used a Dorsey yarn indicator on the river for the first time today and it is a great system. So easy to change depth and lands super soft. Very sensitive.

I was using polypropylene yarn that I get in packs off AliEx for a couple of euro. Ginked up and it floated not a problem and I had a two pretty heavy nymphs on under it

Mrtrout

Just an update on this I used a Dorsey yarn indicator on the river for the first time today and it is a great system. So easy to change depth and lands super soft. Very sensitive.

I was using polypropylene yarn that I get in packs off AliEx for a couple of euro. Ginked up and it floated not a problem and I had a two pretty heavy nymphs on under it
What’s a Dorsey one?
S.

rabmax

Here you go!
I tried the Dorsey years back when seen on troutbitten.I couldn't get the elastic bands to work correctly.Maybe i just bought the wrong type bands.My yarn indicator system works good for me though.

shortcircuit

I tried the Dorsey years back when seen on troutbitten.I couldn't get the elastic bands to work correctly.Maybe i just bought the wrong type bands.My yarn indicator system works good for me though.
The elastic bands must be the strong dental type described here and you have to use the size referenced, i think either 1/4 inch or 5/16.

Any bigger and they won't tighten onto the leader correctly. Any smaller and you won't be able to open them up enough to easily fit the leader loop through

Rhithrogena

It's a good system for me.
I find these orthodontic bands really good and cheap as chips. I use the Latex 1/4 3.5oz ones
I use fence sheeps wool....
So easy to instantly add, adjust or remove the indicator.

Latest posts