Yarn indicators

rabmax

It's a good system for me.
I find these orthodontic bands really good and cheap as chips. I use the Latex 1/4 3.5oz ones
I use fence sheeps wool....
So easy to instantly add, adjust or remove the indicator.
Just ordered some up.I use them on my rod blank for hooking flies onto also.Maybe give the Dorsey another swim.Think i have some bonnie craft cord dorseys somewhere.When it gets to spring i normally go duo/trio.Cheers

Mrtrout

Just ordered some up.I use them on my rod blank for hooking flies onto also.Maybe give the Dorsey another swim.Think i have some bonnie craft cord dorseys somewhere.When it gets to spring i normally go duo/trio.Cheers
I like this idea, it seems to work quite well, I’ve just ordered some 1/4” ones as the ones I have are too big.
S.

Rhithrogena

The main thing to remember is the floatant: it is the difference between them floating lovely and becoming immediately waterlogged
Is that with the polypropylene yarn stuff? I don't have much experience of that but, to be fair the Cornish sheep must be oily buggers naturally. The stuff I find on fences floats pretty well on it's own. If damp, a squeeze in a bit of cotton and some dry fly powder and it's good to go again. Very quick to change once it is really soggy. It's easy to overdo floatant like Mucilin and clog the fibres.

shortcircuit

Is that with the polypropylene yarn stuff? I don't have much experience of that but, to be fair the Cornish sheep must be oily buggers naturally. The stuff I find on fences floats pretty well on it's own. If damp, a squeeze in a bit of cotton and some dry fly powder and it's good to go again. Very quick to change once it is really soggy. It's easy to overdo floatant like Mucilin and clog the fibres.

Exactly, it's polypropylene yarn, the same stuff that is used for wing posts etc.

The Bonnie craft cord that it is used in the original Dorsey (referenced in the Troutbitten article) is polypropylene yarn. Bonnie craft cord is next to impossible to get in Ireland though so I tried out different alternatives. I actually bought lengths of other cords (used for sailing) that were labelled as polypropylene, but they sank even when treated with floatant.

However, when i tried making the indicator out of my wing post material, it floated great. So I just ordered a lot more of it from AliExpress and now I have enough to make loads of indicators.

I'd say sheep's wool would be good because it is naturally very oily and thus should prevent the fibres from taking on water. However, my part of the country is all beef or dairy farming so I don't have a good place to nab sheep wool!

jaybeegee

I use sheep’s wool as well and rub a (very) little gink through it...floats like a cork.
B

Rhithrogena

The Bonnie craft cord that it is used in the original Dorsey (referenced in the Troutbitten article) is polypropylene yarn.
I have some floating polypropylene rope that is bright orange and yellow. I teased out the fibres to use for the Dorsey's and it works but I just prefer not to leave plastic microfibres everywhere. I can kid myself I'm not float fishing with wool too 😂🤪

rabmax

Bonnie craft cord( love the stuff)I use it for poly wing flies too.It used to be very cheap & easily available.But like most things in covid times.It's trebled in price & hard to buy.Luckily i bought a couple of balls before covid.

BobP

Natural sheep's wool. It's free, easy to use and when you've finished with it you can just drop it one the ground because it is natural and you can be sure some mouse or bird will rapidly make use of it. No plastic microfibres to worry about.

I Gink my indicators as a matter of course. They do get a bit soggy after two or three hours & then get treated with Frog's Fanny or equivalent.

Paul_B

It's a good system for me.
I find these orthodontic bands really good and cheap as chips. I use the Latex 1/4 3.5oz ones
I use fence sheeps wool....
So easy to instantly add, adjust or remove the indicator.
If you get a chance try some alpaca wool/hair, I don't use indicators but use Alpaca hair for everything I want to float ;)

Rhithrogena

If you get a chance try some alpaca wool/hair, I don't use indicators but use Alpaca hair for everything I want to float ;)
Thanks, I'll have to have a sneak around an Alpaca farm I know of - do they leave their wool on fences, do you know?

rabmax

Its good for dry flies that you don't want to sink
I never did get round to buying any alpaca yet.Fancy trying it instead of poly wing emergers.My bonnie cord is kind of crinkled stuff & doesn't mat together in a wing.Is alpaca wool coarse & crinkley stuff.Cheers