Ynysyfro Reservoirs, Newport

TroutAtlas

Newport Reservoirs FFA has fishing on Ynysyfro Reservoirs, High Cross, nr Newport; rainbow and brown trout; day permits for non members can be purchased from hut at reservoir (dt catch and release and kill 2 fish/day); fishing stops after 2nd fish killed.

Full Satellite Image and Map (Google)

Last edited:

adespin999

The angling club has a website which gives regular catch reports, prices and other useful information.
Put NRFFA into your search engine and the site will be listed. Or use the link below

NRFFA

Current prices (2017) for non-members is £12 for a two fish bag which includes 16 fish catch and release. Fishing must cease once the second fish is killed.
2016 saw some excellent sport with good catches recorded and over wintered fish showing in catches.

Tight lines,

Ade

Last edited:

cymroglan

This is 3 lb 14oz was one of four fish I caught last night on Ynysyfro. The fishing is very good on the bottom pond despite the cold weather.

adespin999

Ynysyfro 25th April 2013

Fished Ynysyfro this morning from 9am to midday. Caught 6 lovely rainbows (all over 2lb, biggest 3lb 10ozs) from the bottom reservoir and lost several others. I had plenty of 'knocks' on my Montana fished on an intermediate line. Below is a link to the website which has regular updated catch reports and useful information.

Newport Reservoirs Fly Fishing Association

The top reservoir is seeing plenty of fish rising but catching them is proving challenging. Some excellent 'grown on' brown trout have been caught from the top reservoir and some of these have been in excess of 5lb (all brown trout are returned alive).

If you are in the Cardiff/Newport area it is worth paying the fishery a visit as it is only £10 for a two fish kill ticket which includes a 20 fish catch and release limit.

Tight lines,

Ade

adespin999

I fished Ynysfyro for a short session last night. I fished the bottom pond and caught 3 fish but missed several others on a cdc shuttlecock buzzer. The evening rise was prolific and some of the more experienced anglers, who 'matched the hatch' and who have far better fishing skills than I, caught 10 fish between 7pm and 9.30pm.

If anyone is interested in visiting a fishery which is far more challenging and rewarding than your usual stillwater fishery I recommend you visit Ynysyfro. It consists of two reservoirs of 10 acres and 16 acres and is regularly stocked with brown, rainbow and blue trout. The fishery rewards the thinking angler who is able to change tactics and flies to suit conditions.

Tight Lines,

Ade

adespin999

Both the top and bottom reservoir are fishing very well. The top reservoir is producing a lot of grown on Brown trout with several 5lb plus specimens reported. The top reservoir has seen some prolific damsel activity and these flies are catching a lot of fish. the top reservoir is also responding well to dry flies with cdc shuttlecock buzzers and shipmans buzzers catching well.
The bottom reservoir is not having as much surface activity with few fish showing at the surface during the day. However, at dusk there are lots of fish showing and sport can be brisk. The boats on the bottom pond are proving very productive with most anglers catching 7 or more fish in a morning session (7.30am until 2pm).

If you want more up to date fishery reports please use the link below

Fishing Reports

Tight lines,

Ade

WelshOsprey

Thanks for the reports. Keep them coming. I have fished it a couple of times although both times under hot sunny conditions and the going was tough. Not fished it this year though.

adespin999

Please see below some details on the reservoir for the 2014 season

The season proper will commence on Saturday 1st March at 7.00am with both Saturday and Sunday reserved for members. Day tickets will be available for visitors from Monday 3rd March costing £12 for a day's catch and release and a two fish kill limit ( £8 for members) Both association memberships and season permits are still available (contact Phil Harper, on 01633 838250). Both ponds will be open and both will be well stocked prior to opening day Fishermen are still advised to take special care when fishing the bottom pond, as some areas of the banks are liable to be slippery due to recent bad weather Boats are expected also to be available to members and visitors fishing with a member. Finally, all fishermen are asked to make a careful note of the new catch and release limits (8 fish per reservoir, meaning a total of 16 fish can be caught and released), details of which, will be clearly displayed around the reservoir entrance. For more details regarding prices etc. please visit the club’s website at Newport Reservoirs Fly Fishing Association

The web site will be regularly updated during the season regarding fishery reports identifying ‘hot spots’, successful flies and methods. NRFFA welcomes any new members who want to take advantage of the excellent value for money fishing which is situated in a picturesque but readily accessible location (within 2 miles of Junction 27 of the M4. The fishery is run by its members and is able to ensure a high number of fish are stocked as it does not have to pay any wages and income is invested in the stocking of excellent quality fish. To encourage newcomers to the sport the use of ‘indicators’ and ‘sight bobs’ is now allowed and if anyone wants some extra information they can contact one of the committee members via the web site. Often if a convenient date can be identified the newcomer can arrange to meet one of the committee at the reservoir for some ‘hints and tips’ on general trout fishing if required or for some more specific information on tactics to be used at Ynysyfro.

burhan

Thanks for the info Ade will give it a bash real soon. most of the members of my club are regulars there.

burhan

welshfisher88

Cheers for the update Ade,

It fished really well last season, I had absolutely stonking sessions on nymphs and dries there on some days. Still yet to land one of the 'residents' after hooking a couple last year!

Must mention that the stocking policy is second to none, as is the quality of the fish!

Look forward to the 2014 season! :thumbs:

burhan

Cheers for the update Ade,

It fished really well last season, I had absolutely stonking sessions on nymphs and dries there on some days. Still yet to land one of the 'residents' after hooking a couple last year!

Must mention that the stocking policy is second to none, as is the quality of the fish!

Look forward to the 2014 season! :thumbs:

sorry i've got to say that the stocking policy the year before last was shockingly awful hence them losing quite a few club members and my absense from the place last year.

burhan

woollybugger

read with interest these comments as ive been seriously considering joining the fishery. im ashamed to say that i live near and only visited there once:eek: some 10+yrs ago:eek:,so all comments helpful

cymroglan

It's only £25 a year membership(£35 for the first year) and then a day ticket is £8 a day for a max of 16 fish. This has got to be one of the best value for money fishery in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adespin999

sorry i've got to say that the stocking policy the year before last was shockingly awful hence them losing quite a few club members and my absense from the place last year.

burhan[/QUOTE

Burhan,

Thanks for your observations but the issues with the stocking were not due to any individual. All the committee members endeavour to ensure the fishing is as good as possible and to keep prices low.

Unfortunately the reservoir did not live up to expectations in 2012 as 2011 was a fantastic season with excellent catch returns and sport was expected to continue in a similar fashion. However, there were supply issues which effected the pre season stocking and the early season sport was not as good as previous years. Last year (2013) saw sport improve with the reservoirs providing some excellent sport with many 4lb plus rainbows recorded with pride of place going to a 8lb 1oz fish caught by Ken Bowring. It was also pleasing to see more Brown Trout figuring in catches with several specimens in the 4lb range being caught and released. This years stocking policy will be very similar to the successful 2011 season's and it is intended to stock a high number of fish early on to provide good sport at the beginning of the season and to allow trout to have a better chance to become 'naturalised' and switch on to natural food sources. Last year provided some excellent catch returns. I averaged a fish every 38 minutes (I fish short 3-4hour sessions) which fell to dry flies, lures and buzzers and I am far from an expert, at best I could be described as an enthusiastic novice. One thing in common with other waters is the more you fish them the more you become in tune with the fish and vary your tactics accordingly.
The prospects for this year are very good and the fishery provides fantastic value for money and IMO provides a more enjoyable experience than smaller waters with often far better catch returns.

Tight lines,

Ade

Last edited:

g1zmo

Have just re-joined for my fourth year and am thoroughly looking forward to fishing it again:thumbs:

welshfly

It's only £25 a year membership(£35 for the first year) and then a day ticket is £8 a day for a max of 16 fish. This has got to be one of the best value for money fishery in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the best value for money is penyfan pond, I pay £120 a year and NO day ticket as an extra, and I can fish the pond as much as I like.
Alan :thumbs:

wynne

Just joined today - very friendly bunch, busy getting everything ready for a new season - only wish I could have stayed to help, but swmbo was in the car waiting to go shopping (can't complain - she paid my membership :thumbs:)

burhan

burhan[/QUOTE

Burhan,

Thanks for your observations but the issues with the stocking were not due to any individual. All the committee members endeavour to ensure the fishing is as good as possible and to keep prices low.

Unfortunately the reservoir did not live up to expectations in 2011/12 as 2010/11 was a fantastic season with excellent catch returns and sport was expected to continue in a similar fashion. However, there were supply issues which effected the pre season stocking and the early season sport was not as good as previous years. Last year (2012/13) saw sport improve with the reservoirs providing some excellent sport with many 4lb plus rainbows recorded with pride of place going to a 8lb 1oz fish caught by Ken Bowring. It was also pleasing to see more Brown Trout figuring in catches with several specimens in the 4lb range being caught and released. This years stocking policy will be very similar to the successful 2010/11 season's and it is intended to stock a high number of fish early on to provide good sport at the beginning of the season and to allow trout to have a better chance to become 'naturalised' and switch on to natural food sources. Last year provided some excellent catch returns. I averaged a fish every 38 minutes (I fish short 3-4hour sessions) which fell to dry flies, lures and buzzers and I am far from an expert, at best I could be described as an enthusiastic novice. One thing in common with other waters is the more you fish them the more you become in tune with the fish and vary your tactics accordingly.
The prospects for this year are very good and the fishery provides fantastic value for money and IMO provides a more enjoyable experience than smaller waters with often far better catch returns.

Tight lines,

Ade

Hi Ade. Thanks for the explanation and please except my apologies for my negative comment. PM sent

Burhan

adespin999

Hi Burhan ,

No apologies needed the forum is for people to share experiences, opinions and information and you have done so in good faith. Hopefully see you at the reservoirs and if you need any up to date information contact me.
Tight lines,
Ade

woollybugger

Hi ade(or anyone else)
Be more than grateful for any helpful info of tips on fishing the waters
Many thanks