Ynysyfro Reservoirs, Newport

diawl bach

Yup, yesterday, too bright, we arrived at about 11 due to a classic mix up. Still had a couple each on hoppers but by half 12 it was way too bright. Go early or late or leave it till Sunday which looks like a good lake day.

adespin999

Hi Paul,

Tuesday's stocking means there is a lot of new 'easier' fish in the reservoirs. Although, the current weather will make it harder (most trout stillwaters struggle at this time of year). You could try using a bung and buzzers for the boy in 'pipe bay' or fish a di3 with a fab from the bush or steps area (fish it slow and deep or if you see fish near the surface pull it through them).

However, if you are a member I would suggest taking a boat out (£3 per person for a morning,7.30am to 2pm, or afternoon session, 2.30pm to 1 hour before sunset,). If your nephew is under sixteen take advantage of our adult and child ticket- you pay £12 and the child fishes for free on your ticket. In essence you are sharing your ticket- maximum of 8 fish catch and release per reservoir and you must cease fishing when you kill your second fish.

All the best,
Ade

pauli

Thanks for the update guys. Yes the weather is looking against us tomorrow so might leave til later on..

Thanks

Paul

adespin999

Dear All,

Just a quick post to let you know NRFFA website is now back 'live' and is 'up and running'. The site will be 'tweaked' as there are some 'typos' etc. The link is below.

NRFFA

i would like to thank several people for their help. Firstly, all those people who suggested website builders (after Zyweb failed). SKB who recommended Click Business Solutions (particular thanks to Danielle and Jamie) who built our new site at a fantastic price. Jeff Prest for allowing us to use pictures he had previously took at Ynysyfro for a Trout Fisherman feature and a big thanks to Andy Hoffrock for the aerial footage of the reservoir which is an unusual and interesting feature of the new website.

Many thanks,
Ade

welshfisher88

I had a great few hours up at Ynys y Fro on Sunday, arrived around 2pm to dense cloud, a stiff breeze and warm humid air and thought the going might be very difficult given that the sun was starting to break through. I always head up the top pond but decided to focus on the bottom pond for a change.

I set up with a midge tip and 3 diawl bachs on the one rod and a floater with two hoppers on the other.

Missed three takes close to the 'bush' and another near the boat moorings before deciding to head over to the embankment (pear tree?) opposite the car park. On the way over a quick cast over a rising fish near the inlet got me my first fish of the day, great conditioned chunky rainbow of around 2.5lbs.

As I walked down the bank it was incredible to see fish chasing damsels within two foot of the shoreline, so on went a size 10 black hopper and size 8 detached daddy on the floater which netted me 3 great looking fish. Full tails and two pushing the 3lb mark. I fished along the same bank for the last hour with a midge tip and diawl's which netted me one more fish, with another on the walk back (again) past the inlet. six fish in just over two hours was unexpected but great fun.

adespin999

29th August- Fished yesterday and thought I would pull lures to take advantage of the new stocked fish. Unfortunately, they had not read the script and from 8.45am to 11.45am I only had one fish on a blob from the bottom reservoir. People kept telling me the top pond had been fishing well, so I thought I would try it for an hour. Great decision, in a hour I caught 4 using gold head PTNs and missed a few.
Wasn't going to fish today but SWMBO gave me a free pass. Took one rod for nymphng and caught 7 lovely fish from the top pond using weighted buzzers and nymphs. There were several anglers on the top pond and all caught using buzzers or nymphs. However, I was told that the bottom reservoir had also 'switched on' and some good catches had come to buzzers today.

All the best,
Ade

jwillsrk

Decided to give Ynysfro a shot on the bank last Saturday in the afternoon warmth, after a summer break. The fish were high up in the water generally until the Sun came out. I ended up with 7 one of my fish had clearly been in the lake a while, the successful fly was an egg fly imitation using a long leader. I could had my limit easily, but I left early to catch up with the football and rugby with a beer.

Hopefully I will be there this weekend to tickle a few more of the hard fighting trout.

adespin999

Hi Mike,

Thanks for posting the question. I am sure Phil will be sending out copies of the newsletter soon. I have always paid Phil at the committee meeting so I am not sure what has happened previously. But this is just an addition not a replacement of the 'old' method. However, NRFFA is trying to get a database of members' email addresses to go make communication faster and more efficient.
Regarding your query I will check and confirm though.

All the best,
Ade

Last edited:

wynne

Well done for the pre-season stocking, beautiful quality fish, nice size, good fighters.
Only spent a few hours on the first day, but managed 5 on the bottom pond (golf course bank on the bend), kept two at 2 & 2 1/2 lbs - good fight with all of them & neighbouring anglers were pretty much the same - as usual black & green variations were doing the damage.
Wind a bit in your face one moment & not the next, so dress up warm :thumbs:

adespin999

Hi Wynne,
Glad you enjoyed opening day. Personally, I found it quite a frustrating day. Started at 7am and by quarter past I had a 3lb 12oz fish on the bank. First two hours had lots of knocks and managed to catch 6. But sport slowed dramatically for most on the bottom pond. I then went up the top and fished the inlet. After a slow hour and watching people catch on the 'tump' bank I moved there. Caught another 4 there and lost the same number, all were over 2lb and two of the fish were around the 3lb mark. Hopefully, the bottom pond will produce fish throughout the day as the fish get used to the changeable weather and their new surroundings.
All the best,
Ade

woollybugger

How's the lakes fishing Ade? Rejoined on Sunday after 2 years away, looking forward to a successful return

adespin999

I haven't fished since Saturday and it was a very quiet start to the season compared to the last three years on the bottom reservoir. However, the top reservoir was much more consistent. On Sunday I popped down and nymphs and buzzers were taking fish. I am hoping to pop down tomorrow afternoon for a few hours so should be able to post an update tomorrow evening.
Tight lines,
Ade

adespin999

11th March. Fished 2pm to 4.45pm. Tried the bottom first and had nothing from the bush bank. However, several anglers on pear tree bank were catching fish regularly. Went to the top pond and caught six fish on sink tip line and damsel. All fish were 2.5lb plus with the two I took just over 3lb. The fish still appear to be tightly shoaled and locating them is key.
Ade