Ynysyfro Reservoirs, Newport

adespin999

18th March

Even with the sudden decrease in temperature this weeks stocking has saw an increase in fish being landed. Both ponds are providing limit bags to anglers and tactics have varied from fishing buzzers on floating lines to pulling blobs on Di5 lines. Lots of 3lb fish are being caught and with the average weight of stocked fish having been increased to 2lb the fish are giving a fantastic account of themselves and providing excellent sport to anglers. The fish have began to spread out on both ponds but hotspots are the 'boat to the bush area' and 'pear tree bank' on the bottom pond. On the top pond all the banks are producing fish with 'the tump' and 'railings bank' being the most consistent. As previously mentioned lots of different tactics and flies are catching fish but buzzers fished on a floating line and long leader are taking fish as is pulling lures such as a 'cat's whisker' on an intermediate line. Due to the value for money and excellent fishing the reservoirs' car park is getting quite full so please park carefully and drive carefully down the access lane.

wynne

Strange morning - some catching, some not, wind in your face, wind at your back.
Had a few takes literally when the fly hit the water, followed by acrobatics & losing the fish - takes are very hard - slamming the fly.
Interesting find when I gutted my kept fish - full of small snails & newts

adespin999

Hi Wynne,
Glad you enjoyed the fishing. At the moment both reservoirs are fishing well. Although, you may have to move to find feeding fish. I had 16 yesterday and 15 today, just failing to catch my 8th fish from the top lol. I caught on lures pulled on an intermediate line and buzzers fished on a floating line. There were quite a few anglers and most caught well with some large fish being landed. Pick of these was a 6lb 1oz fish and several anglers had 4lb plus fish. Unfortunately I am working the weekend but I am looking forward to Monday.

adespin999

Ynysyfro has been producing some lovely fish with several 6lb plus fish being landed. My last two sessions have resulted in me catching 8 fish limits from the top pond with the successful tactics being an intermediate line and a damsel.
The evenings have seen some good rises, with cdc buzzers and shipmans buzzers taking good numbers of fish. Key to catching is finding where the fish are and a mobile approach is best.
Tight lines,
Ade

klantrixs

What time does the fishery shut in the evenings ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

welshfisher88

Fished on Monday for a couple of hours in the morning wind and rain. Tough going as I was only fishing dries (personal challenge!) but managed two fish lovely fish from the bottom pond, one of which was probably 3lbs and had a cracking tail. :thumbs:

One thing though was having to untangle an injured female blackbird from someones discarded fishing nylon - not cool to whoever left it there. The committee do a sterling job of keeping the grounds immaculate and some people just have no respect! :mad:

Last edited:

adespin999

Fished from 7pm to 9pm last night. Started on the top reservoir and caught three pulling lures on an intermediate line and lost one. A few fish were moving but I had no offers on my dry set up. There were about 10 anglers on the top reservoir and most caught.
At 8pm I moved to the bottom reservoir. Again there were fish moving. I started on lures and had a couple of follows but no fish. Tried my dry set up and took a fish on a size 12 hopper. The fish were topping but were too far for me to cast to. I switched to my lure set up and took a lovely 3lb 8oz fish that took me down to my backing. Hopefully the warmer weather will see some more consistent sport.
All the best,
Ade

adespin999

Fished Monday 23rd May from 9.30am to 1pm. Fished the bottom reservoir and started on a sinking line with blobs. First two casts resulted in two lost fish. Finally after about 20 minutes I managed to net a 2lb fish. By this time lots of fish were rising so I tried a floating line with a fab on the point and a single buzzer as a dropper. Took one on the fab and one on the buzzer and had numerous follows. The rises died down so I changed to two buzzers and took five more rainbows up to 3lb and lost 3 more.
I don't normally fish buzzers as I struggle presenting them correctly but had a fantastic morning which brought home just how enjoyable this style of fishing is.
Tight lines,
Ade

adespin999

latest report from chairman (17th June 2016)

Following the change in the weather plus a restocking of both ponds, fishing has greatly improved on the bottom pond in particular. However, the top pond continues to provide sport, especially from the railings bank /inlet side. It was reported that Mr J Murphy had landed a good limit of mixed blue and rainbow trout, whilst regular fisherman, Roger Martin included an excellent specimen rainbow of four lbs eight ozs in his top pond return.
On the bottom pond limits were recorded by Cowbridge fisherman Craig Bowles and Cardiff members, Ken Bowring and Jeff Wilson. Both fishermen added further catches of two and three fish respectively, from later visits. Having landed an excellent rainbow from the top pond, Roger Martin added a further ten fish from two visits to the bush bank on the bottom pond. Richard Bateman caught three fish from successive visits taking his second catch from Pear Tree bank using orange shipman's buzzers. A four fish return was made by Dave Howells and Howard Davies whilst three fish catches went to Les Murphy, Roy Jones, Adrian Moyse and Terry O'Connor. James Francis landed a brace of fish on two occasions, with a similar two fish catch being recorded by Gareth Neale, Graham Ingram Evans, Steve Kean, Del Haines and Kevin Pinkney.
Boat fishermen have also seen an improvement in fishing following the change in the weather, with John Eynon catching a seven good rainbows, five fish being caught by Keith Higgins from two boat days, Shaun Cotterell landing four fish, again over two visits, whilst James Francis moved from the bank to the boat to take two fish, with the same number being caught by Day Ticket holder, Bob Bradley. Most fishermen have recorded Hoppers, Damsels, Shipman's Buzzers and CDC Buzzers as being the most successful flies

adespin999

Latest report below (8th July)

The bottom pond has continued to provide the majority of good fishing during the week with fish being caught mainly along the west facing banks from Pipe Bay through to Farmhouse Bay. Included amongst those permit holders and day ticket fishermen at Ynysyfro during the week were Ken Bowring, Gwyn Davies and Aberdare member Bill Seward, all of whom achieved the Catch and release limit of eight fish.

Seven fish returns were made by a number of anglers including Keith Higgins and Roger Martin, with Steve Docherty, Day ticket visitor W.R.Williams and Ian Hewitt recording a five fish return. Four fish totals were landed by Mark Southwood, Shaun Cotterell, Ian Wootton, James Francis, Nigel Burge Terry O’Connor and Paul Jenkins. Anglers catching three rainbows included Chris Chapman, Cardiff member Alan Rees, Chris Taylor, Roy Jones’ Dave Woods, Steve Kean, Les Murphy and T.Edwards. Two fish bags went to Dave Howells, Jeff Wilson, Rob Watkins, Mark Roberts, Arthur Murphy, Alun Paul and Committee members John Mcindo, Phil Harper and Keri Jones. The majority of those mentioned landed fish from Pipe Bay, the Boat bank as far as the Bush and in Farmhouse bay from the steps to the shallower end of the bay.

Two boat sessions for Ken Pascoe brought a total of ten fish, with regular boat user Keith Higgins catching three fish from his day session.

A variety of flies brought fish to the net, including Damsel nymphs, Hoppers, Emerger patterns CDC and Shipmans buzzers, Pheasant tail nymphs, and small black gnat imitations.

all the best,
Ade

adespin999

Please see first report for 2017 season below

Opening day at Ynys y fro saw an excellent turn out of permit holders and day ticket members, with a good number of limits taken, mainly from the top pond First fish of the day went to Richard Kelly with a bottom pond trout from Pipe Bay. However, in terms of limits, Adrian Moyse, Bernard Stephens, Keith Higgins, Kevin Pinkey, Colin Jones, and Bob Bradley all landed eight fish from the top pond, with Bob Bradley adding a brace of brown trout to his catch record. Other good returns from the top pond included a seven fish return by Roy Jones and a six fish catch by Norman Curtis, Dave Howells and Lee Carroll. Ken Bowring landed four trout, whilst Martin Williams, Chris Daniels and Craig Bowles each landed three rainbows. Most of the fish caught on the top pond were landed from the road bank, with Montana and Cats whisker lures the most effective flies.

On the bottom pond, limits were taken by Stephen Snape and Paul Ellsworthy. With a seven fish catch being recorded by G.West. Colin Jones added a further six fish to his top pond limit with the same number being caught by Mike Price and Fred Davies. Dean Connelly and Craig Bowles each caught five bottom pond rainbows, whilst four fish returns were recorded by Keith Higgins, Bob Bradley and S.Evans. Most bottom pond catches were made on Pear Tree bank. Heaviest fish recorded was an excellent 4 lbs 8 oz rainbow from the bottom pond, landed by Fred Davies, whilst Ivor Thomas included a fish of 3 lbs 4 ozs in his two fish catch. Another good fish of 3 lbs was included in a five trout return by new member M.Chevrier. As on the top pond, most fish were caught on Montana and Cats whisker patterns with some anglers finding fish with gold head buzzers. The pre-season work by the Wednesday "gang" in improving the car parking spaces was well appreciated by all.

Far fewer members were present at Ynys y fro on Sunday, due to the bad weather. However some fish were landed. On the top pond only the "Horses" bank was fishable due to the wind with permit holders, Shaun Cotterell landing five fish as did Day ticket holder, R. Evans. Keith Higgins caught four trout, Andy Hofrock taking three fish and J James and R Southwood landing a brace each.
On the bottom pond, Keith Higgins landed a limit from the more sheltered Pear Tree bank, with one fish coming to Shaun Cotterell, Mark Southwood and Adrian Connor. Most fish were caught on black lures and cats whiskers. New member Stephen Snape also caught 8 fish from the same bank.

adespin999

Fishing report for Ynysyfro Reservoir W/E 13/3/17

The quality of fishing at Ynysyfro continues to be very good for both ponds, indicated not only by the number of fish recorded but also by the increased number of permit holders, day ticket members and visitors at the reservoirs. The extra space created for car parking has been of great use.
On the top pond Adrian Moyse, Terry O'Connor, Gwyn Davies, Richard Bateman, Jeff Wilson, Ken Bowring and Andy Hoffrock all landed eight fish, whilst Ken Bowring totalled twelve trout over two week end visits. Day ticket visitor, T. Davies and regular permit holder, Shaun Cotterell both landed seven fish, and a six fish return was made by Phil Harper and Colin Jones . John Eynon landed five rainbows with N. Curtis and Association President Martin Williams, catching four fish. Amongst other good catches made, Rob Watkins and Chris Daniels each landed three fish with permit holders Steve Kean and Geoff Evans plus Day ticket holders Dean Morgan, Roy Jones and Mike Davies each catching a brace. The majority of catches were made from the Wood bank with Bloodworm patterns and weighted buzzers taking most fish.
The bottom pond has fished well all week, with a good number of permit holders and day ticket fishermen landing limits. Recently co-opted Secretary, Dave Slocombe registered two limits on consecutive days, with further eight fish totals being achieved by Dave Howells, Roger Martin, Keith Higgins, Andy Hoffrock, Adrian Connor , Mike Brake and recently joined Jason Williams. Later in the week Ken Bowring and Keith Higgins each landed eight fish over two days with Dave Howells, Martin Williams, Adrian Moyse, Alan Rees, Steve Snape and Adrian Connor all reaching the limit over one session. Shaun Cotterell caught twelve fish over two visits, with a day's five fish return being recorded by John Eynon, Alan Rees, Terry O'Connor, Kevin Pinkey, W Jones , Colin Jones and Day ticket holder, Dean Morgan. Amongst other members fishing on Day tickets Gareth West, Bob Bradley and D. Stowell each caught four rainbows, whilst Brian Wareham, Colin Jones, Dean Connelly, Del Haines, Roy Mealing and Eddie Ricci caught and returned three trout, as did Day ticket visitor Mark Waters. A brace of rainbows were caught by Dean Connelly, Rob Bull, Paul Ellsworthy, Mike Pitt and Alan Powell. The bank stretch from the boat moorings to the bush saw most fish taken, with small black gold head buzzers , and damsel nymphs proving the more effective flies.
Regular boat fisherman, Ken Pascoe enjoyed a good morning session taking a limit midway between Pear Tree bank and the bush and Craig Bowles also bagged a limit from his boat session.
The week has seen a continuation of the excellent fishing experienced over the opening week-end, with numerous limits being taken from both ponds.
Successful flies on the bottom pond again included Montana patterns, Blobs , Pheasant tail nymphs , Damsel flies and Gold head buzzers. Both reservoirs are due to receive further stockings which should see further good fishing over the coming week.

cymroglan

Had a good morning on the boat at ynysyfro today. Caught 8 in total plus the ones that came off. All on black buzzers and bloodworms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j j

Had a good morning on the boat at ynysyfro today. Caught 8 in total plus the ones that came off. All on black buzzers and bloodworms.

Just be careful cymroglan. Six fish per lake rule... A "caught my limit" kinda thing would be safer :thumbs:

JJ

cymroglan

It's 8 fish per lake as per the nrffa website.

j j

My bad, it was 6 last time I fished it. Great place though!

JJ

adespin999

Both reservoirs have been stocked and are fishing well. The bottom reservoir is providing the best sport. I fished from a boat today and had a really enjoyable morning. Had my 8, tried buzzers but could only catch pulling lures on an intermediate line. The pear tree bank produced a lot of fish for bank anglers and if you want an enjoyable bit of fishing over Easter it can't be faulted for a visitor day ticket of £12.
All the best,
Ade

adespin999

Fished the top reservoir on Saturday 2nd September. Had a great morning's fishing catching 6 and losing 4. Started on damsel and a blob. Had several follows on this set up but no hook ups. Changed to a floating line and a team of three buzzers and had some great sport. Caught on all 3 of the buzzers but my goldhead green buzzer on the point took most of the fish. The cooler temperatures and recent stockings mean that the fishing should really pick up now. The reservoirs are remaining open until December and provide excellent value for money, especially for those who want to try a fishery that is not your usual small Stillwater fishery.