Yorkshire Dales in about a month

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
Hi all

I've booked a cottage near Leyburn for a bit of a getaway for the family at the start of August. I know a number of day ticket areas are not taking bookings due to the Covid situation so does anyone have any suggestions of places open (or opening) to day ticket anglers, where to buy permits etc? I'm looking for river fishing.

Thanks
Steve

roger h 10

No, I didn't know about that, I thought they just did the Stillwater. Thanks for the heads up, I will email them.

Steve
Let me know how you get on Steve. If it is open I've got a write up on the fishery in my loft which I could copy and e mail across to you.

kevin55

London NW; originally from South Derbyshire
Hi Steve

The tackle shop at Hawes was doing day tickets last year; also the post office in Grassington for the Wharfe nearby

Kilnsey Cafe/lake has stillwater fishing; the Kilnsey Club has fishing on the Wharfe and Skirfare and was operating from the cafe but it's phone bookings only at the moment (I'm not sure if they're selling day tickets - no way to pay?). The Kilnsey fishing club is not part of the Cafe/Lake business.

It might be worth joining Bradford AC as it's cheap -about the price of a Kilnsey AC day ticket - with a small joining fee and they have a few nice stretches, including opposite The George at Hubberholme

There's The Craven Arms in Appletreewick which did do day ticketds

Many clubs aren't doing day rtickets in general though some let members have guest tickets

Tight lines
Kevin

kingf000

Hi Steve

The tackle shop at Hawes was doing day tickets last year; also the post office in Grassington for the Wharfe nearby

Kilnsey Cafe/lake has stillwater fishing; the Kilnsey Club has fishing on the Wharfe and Skirfare and was operating from the cafe but it's phone bookings only at the moment (I'm not sure if they're selling day tickets - no way to pay?). The Kilnsey fishing club is not part of the Cafe/Lake business.

It might be worth joining Bradford AC as it's cheap -about the price of a Kilnsey AC day ticket - with a small joining fee and they have a few nice stretches, including opposite The George at Hubberholme

There's The Craven Arms in Appletreewick which did do day ticketds

Many clubs aren't doing day rtickets in general though some let members have guest tickets

Tight lines
Kevin
Just for clarification I think he means the Bradford City AA. They have water at Hubberholme, but nearer to Leyburn they have some stretches by Aysgarth, only about 8 miles away. The Wild trout trust did a review of the water there: http://www.bradfordcityaa.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/BCAA_Ure_AV_2017.pdf

Paul_B

I was a member of Bradford for a lot years, we fished from the bridge just above Aysgarth, the Bain and Semerwater.
Now I occasionally fish the Worton stretch and the lower Aysgarth stretch by day ticket, I don't know if they'll do them this year.
this link my help, its a salmon link and there are no salmon above Aysgarth falls http://www.thorntonlodgenorthyorkshire.co.uk/salmon-fishing-on-the-ure/

themind

kingf000

Yikes! That stretch doesn't sound in too good of a condition.

Steve
They also have a stretch a bit further upstream at Worton Bridge that looks from pictures much better. If you go downstream there is the Ripon Piscatorials that has water on the river Laver. There is also the river cover and the Cover Inn used to do day tickets, only about 4 miles away.

Last edited:

jaybeegee

Leeds & District AA have trout and grayling fishing on the Wharfe, Nidd, Ure and Swale, a years membership is very reasonable compared to day ticket prices on some of the well known dales river stretches. Let us know how you get on wherever you end up. 👍

B

kingf000

get yourself into Gilsan sports in the middle of Leyburn they have all the details for local water & are very knowledgeable, of whats fishing & whats not.
Good suggestion, but may be worth phoning them well before you go, so that if they recommend club waters, you have the option to join. It depends on what your situation is. In August it is often best to fish early morning and late evening. With a club membership, you can just pop out for a couple of hours any day and still have the rest of the day for trips etc., especially if the water is very close.

themind

All great suggestions, thank you all very much for the help.

Now I just need to make up a dingle box of flies to take so I'm not doing my usual trick of carrying a kitchen sink! Fortunately I think I have a spare box somewhere I can decant a selection into.

Thanks again everyone.

Steve