Yorkshire Waters

LeoLion

Back on the bike again ( ?? See my first post ) after a loooong break from flyfishing ( 15 years or so ) . First session today (after all those years gap) on the Calder below Elland Bridge . Downstream wind and fishing from the right hand bank so both overhead and roll casting in use . My casting improved during my 2 hour session and with very few wind taffles .( So I can still ride the bike now I have re-mounted !!!). It would have been a different tale from the other bank.
Started down by the industrial estate ( missed a ring when threading the line through :mad:) which did not help and thus no results. Correctly threading the rings back at the car as I moved up towards the bridges. This area produced 9 beautiful small grayling and a pretty BT of ca 9" . The brownie was on a #14 Copper Bead head nymph at point and all but one of the grayling on a #16 Copper Wire ribbed Dark Olive Seals Fur nymph on a single dropper.
Leaves are drifting down now but the odd rain shower we have had has not been sufficient to colour the water Nice to find some fishing so close to home. :)

Curlewcall

Calder pollution?

Well done Leolion, good to hear you're getting back into it.

I was told today that there had recently been pollution in the Calder :mad:
Apparently the Hebble, where it joins the Calder, was a very milky colour. The EA were contacted, but they reported the river was clear by the time they inspected it.
In my experience the Hebble is usually cloudier than the Calder where they meet, but this sounded more extreme. Does anyone else know anything about this?

Curlewcall

Thanks Drum, that doesn't look good at all.

Quote:
A spokeswoman for the Environment Agency said an officer had immediately been alerted and was sent straight to the waterside to investigate.

She said the river seemed to have returned to almost its normal colour and no ecological damage seemed to have been caused.

Why do they feel the need to make statements such as this? So there didn't 'seem' to be any ecological damage when the officer turned up. Surely it would be better to say they would investigate further before taking a view?
Unless they just want us to say "Oh that's all right then", and turn the page...

johntyzack

Grayling season off to a good start...

Guiding on the Wharfe at Bolton Abbey the other day... 1st October. Start of the Grayling Season.

48 hours solid of heavy rain hadn't put the river into the best of order. It was well up and black with the peat, but mercifully not too turbid.

My client had never fished nymphs before, but still managed 15 nice grayling...

One was a real gem at 44cm.

Don't let the high water put you off giving it a go...

Tight Lines

sedgeking

Nice weather we're having

Hi JT:D

Don't let the high water put you off giving it a go

Nice work JT and sound advice.

I was a little further downstream at Collingham up to the nipples on a gravel bar fishing a back-eddy.
Only 25mins in the water saw 3 Grayling netted to 1.75lb.....then over the nipples and home to dry out:eek::eek:

Be careful out there;)

johntyzack

sedgeking said:
Only 25mins in the water saw 3 Grayling netted to 1.75lb.....then over the nipples and home to dry out:eek::eek:

Be careful out there;)

1.75lb on the Wharfe is a really good fish Sedge! But you really must learn where the top of your waders is ;)

'Tweren't the sort of day to fall in :D:D:D

sedgeking

There's an OO! in my waders

Hi JT:D

'Tweren't the sort of day to fall in

No sh@t Sherlock!.....due to the lack of 'fleet of foot' and the Wharfe (with an OO! in it)having enough turbidity to move the bar I was stood on (OK its an apprentices mistake:eek::eek:)......a cracking pool I last fished years ago for Barbel and just HAD to give it the 'once over' again, as I was there.....seem to remember the Grayling were 'big' then too.(the other two were tiny in comparison ...but fit).

Are the Barbel still there?....anybody!

I've been catching Grayling within a few miles of here for the last couple of years.
I talk to so few anglers on the lower system.....can't see a reason why not.

spidersplus

The URE at Masham - what's wrong?

Yes, I know that I should have posted this a week ago but hopefully better late than never ...

Has anyone fished the Ure at Masham recently - and if so, what on Earth is all that brown silky weed downriver of the town, just up from the Swinton Castle private stretch?

I had a day out with a pro guide last Saturday on the Ure - we started at the town centre stretch by the islands and then in the afternoon, walked down river for about a mile to the pools just upstream from the start of the Swinton Castle private stretch.

Landed three fish all day – very little rising in the watery sunshine in the morning and nowt in the afternoon so most of the time I was Czech nymphing with some duo work in the morning.

But the main point – the river looked beautiful up by the town - very clear and picked up a beautiful 16 inch brownie that flashed at and took a nymph under a CDC & Elk - no movement on the dry - but we walked downstream for about a mile and the water got darker and darker – with lots of brown, (very slippery!) “slime” covering the bottom.

Has there been a sewage spill recently?

Would this / has this affected the fishing? (My guide was very surprised that I / we only had 3 fish in the whole day)

Can Sedgeking or John Tyzack throw any light on this? (and they seem to fish the Yorkshire waters often)

Kind regards

sedgeking

Silkweed/Blanket weed

Hi spiderplus:D

Sounds like you hit it the nail on the head in your description....silk weed.

As to cause and effect:

The cause is excess NITRATES in the water:mad:Then the 'slime' is created when the sun don't shine

A reason for being a downstream town problem....just a guess:rolleyes:...can't blame the farmers for this one....probably townsfolk giving the lawns a late season feed and then the excess rains of the wet summer washing said nitrates out.

Only hypothesis though and subject to conjecture;)

spidersplus

Sedgeking Many thanks - very strange - not seen it before, certainly not on the Wharfe ...

I take it that your health has improved as you are out fishing again?

Kind regards

sedgeking

Boredom sets in deep!

Hi Phil

The Ure has a lower flow rate than the Wharfe in summer possibly allowing such 'blooms' to get a hold, and should disappear after a flood or two, lower temperatures/light etc......the stuff is murder in still water.....if it IS silk weed:rolleyes:

From being 'out n about' 300plus days per year to zero does somewhat give you the mentals.:eek:

I'm far from 'fit' medically and physically.....living by the sword as they say....some days I can do it....others I can't.(that does sound bad, but its a temporary thing)More a case of 'is it safe' for me to be in a river.
I hope to be back at the Yorkshire Clinic, for elective surgery, within the next few week which should put this matter to bed after a further recovery period.

Until then..."En guarde " , "Touche" etc:D:D:D
I just keep forgetting to tell the coastguard:eek::eek:

So if I'm not posting still in January......look out for a rod(with a sedge attached) hung up in a tree along with the plastic bags etc:mad::mad:......it could be yours now:D:D:D.....just love your river and maybe pull up a few balsam plants in return.

spidersplus

Just had an aborted trip to the Wharfe at Bolton Abbey - at least 2 feet up and brown, brown, brown! Turned round and came home - not safe to wade and the fish would never spot a fly in that coloured water.

I guess the Ure could do with a flood such as on the Wharfe today!

Hope your health improves quickly ...

sedgeking

Prospects

Hi guys:D

The Calder was 'up' but NOT dirty today......prospects for fining off tomorrow are good and anyone taking the challenge should reap the rewards.;)

sedgeking

Advantage sedgeking

Well I took my own advice and made it back to the Calder today to do a bit of scouting for an IFM Grayling day next week.

In a 3hr session I had well over a dozen Grayling of between 8" and 11" plus 1 BT.....all the fish were still in 'summer lies'.
All 3 fly patterns were successful.....Polish nymph on the point, pink czech and diawl bach on top dropper......nymphing was the order of the day as the odd olives and sedges hatching were, in the main, being ignored.

Prospects for the next few days are looking good:cool:

Calder Junky

Spawning Brownies!

Just spent an amazing couple of hours on the Calder- fish watching!

Set of bugging for grayling in one of the many weir pools and then noticed some really big fish rolling in the foam lines right underneath the weir.

Sea trout, maybe even salmon after this weeks high water? Alas not- it was even better news- monster wild brownies!!!!!!

Watched the spectacle on and off for a couple of hours as the trout actually tried to run the weir. A few were successful even after a few attempts but one of them managed to beach itself half way up then flip itself into the middle of the mini island it had beached on. Luckily i saw it all unfolding- so for the price of a picture( i never do anything for nothing!)- back in he went to swim another day!

Can't post the pictures for some reason(i'll try again later) but he's longer than my landing net and thats 26'' long!! and he was by no means the biggest fish we saw- i reckon at least one fish was well over 30''- no wonder i thought they were salmon at first!!!!

I know the Calder holds good fish but i was amazed at the number of these fish trying to run the weir as well as their size.

I know the fish are preparing to spawn but can anyone explain to me why these fish feel the need to start running 6ft high weirs when to my eye there's perfectly good spawning area's below the weir??

In between this spectacle the grayling were well up for it as well so all in all a fantastic day on the Calder--yet again!

sedgeking

local migration

Hi Calder Junky:D

Firstly welcome to the forum:D

Sea trout, maybe even salmon after this weeks high water

I know you are adamant they were BT but it IS within the bounds of possibility they could be ST or Salmon.......they have been stuck on the lower Calder weirs for a few months now awaiting higher water.

I know the fish are preparing to spawn but can anyone explain to me why these fish feel the need to start running 6ft high weirs when to my eye there's perfectly good spawning area's below the weir??

I'm afraid you wouldn't make a very good mum:eek::p
These BT you were witness to have a very good maternal/paternal instinct and feel the need to migrate to where the conditions for spawning are not the only consideration.....you forget the other factors of nursery areas where a juvenile will have shelter, food and a lower chance of avian,terrestrial and aquatic predation.....just like Salmon this usually means 'going home'.
I see the same fish on the redds every year......and on bigger weirs than 6'.

It truly is AMAZING:cool::cool::cool:

As to the Grayling fishing....."bang on form" for numbers..... but the bigger ones are harder to locate which is noticeably different to a couple of years ago(pre pollution).
There still are some though;)

Size isn't everything:D....well done on a good day and helping hand:D:D

.......................................................................................................
PS
Are there any forum members attending the IFM conference at Leeds uni this week and taking advantage of the guided session on the Calder.

.......................................................................................................

Calder Junky

Definitely Brownies

Sorry Sedgeking but they were definitely brownies. PM me an e-mail address and you can have a look at the one i rescued for yourself - its one hell of a fish, albeit a very brown one (i still cant post the pictures on here for some reason- don't think the administrator trusts me yet! wise man he is!).

Forgive me for my ignorance but what's the IFM conference? (Institute of Fisheries Management is my best cleanest guess).

Off for another bash at those grayling later

sedgeking

No dispute

Hi Calder Junky:D

I wasn't calling your judgement to be wrong:eek:(I was watching them last week myself).....just pointing out that it's not an impossibility to see silver tourists...... most local anglers know very little of their modern river and its impressive qualities.

Yes IFM is Institute of Fisheries Management.....I just wondered if any of the 11 pre booked delegates (for the fishing, not the conference) were forum members.

Enjoy your session today:D

Re the posting of photo's.....you need to have an account with a 'host' such as Photobucket. You then upload to the host and create a link from FFF by following the instructions contained here http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6403

Curlewcall

Nice afternoon on the Calder taking nine grayling including three 12" fish.
The duo worked well, three fish choosing the olive and ginger klink, while six opted for a bead head GRHE below. All lovely feisty fish.
Just before I left a brownie nabbed my dry on the dangle. I sent him on his way with a ticking off.
The river isn't running high, and is very clear.

Latest posts