Yorkshire Waters

sedgeking

Time for bed......said Zebadee

Hi guys:D

The grinning smiles and tired bodies from the Calderdale Grayling Weekend are all heading home.
The rain gods were kept at bay the river was dropping nicely.....but the wind and the leaves tried their best to make it tough going.
Still....sessions of buggin, high stickin and dry were all succesfully covered and as a conservative estimate nobody had less than 20 Grayling....making 150plus Grayling the total for the weekend(really conservative)....some going!... with neither autumn nor winter conditions!
A big round of applause for everyone involved......especially Gina and John.
:D:D:D:D....we all know John's had the clap before:rolleyes:....but they both deserve it this time.......Hands up on the forum all those who know that Gina won the national rivers championship a couple of weeks ago.:eek::eek: So modest.

I'm sure a few pictures and posts will be viewable on the relevant 'Events' thread for the weekend......when the attendees who post on the forum come round.

sedgeking

Toot toot

How's the Calder today? River Aire is way up and muddy in Keighley.

Hi boyzie:D

Talked to someone this morning who had a rising water problem that requires attention (a sprung spring):mad:......so I can tell you it's going like steam train creating so much back pressure......all the reservoirs are spilling as well as downpour drainage.
I think the numbers fishing today on ANY Yorkshire river will be very few.

boyzie

Cheers mate, may have to fish my local stream instead, walked up it today and their were a few fish rising to what looked like crane flies

boyzie

Wow this threads been quiet recently.

I have Friday/Saturday off and was thinking of fishing the Calder. Hows it looking at the moment? The Aire over here has been high and coloured for almost a week now but is rapidly dropping.

sedgeking

I did a river walk yesterday......no shortage of water:rolleyes:... but eminently fishable.
Be prepared to search around though.... as they could be still in hiding in the slack water,residing in their summer haunts or even have moved now,with the cold snap, to their winter lies.

boyzie

cheers sedgeking, I fished the Calder alot in the summer so I imagine it will be different now. This is my first season so im new to winter fishing so it should be a challenge finding the fish

sedgeking

I gather (correct me if I'm wrong) that you are fairly new to fly fishing on rivers anyway.

With this cold snap and higher flow in the last few days the Grayling may now start to take up their station in the deeper slower flows as opposed to the fast riffles of summer.....bonus is that they also shoal so when you do find them.....take root.
Beware some of the advice given on your 'Grayling' thread....it has a lot of partial truths.....and will become apparent with time or proper instruction.

Tight lines and maybe see you bankside at the weekend.

boyzie

Thanks sedgeking, I fished the Calder today and there were still fish rising where I remember from my summer sessions there. Had 17 in total although ten of them were very small but the other 7 were very nice, had two good ones just below the weir.

Size 16 Klinkhammer was the best fly of the day catching 14 while czech nymphs got the best 3 fish.

Last edited:

sedgeking

Calder

Well done boyzie:D

I've been over the hill in La@c@@@ire and popped in on the way home.....the river looks ever so sweet.... almost back down to summer levels.
So tomorrow will be my first day IN a river this week......hope I can still remember how to ride my bike:D:D:D

LeoLion

Hydroelectric power from the Yorkshire Calder ?

Picked this up on 'Yorkshire Forward' re development in the Calder valley twixt Sowerby Bridge and Copley . Quote "
Additional projects within the development plans for Sowerby Bridge include the transformation of the railway station into an eco-station, hydro-electricity generation at Copley Weir, the creation of waterside footpaths and cycle routes, and public open space." .
I recalled a recent piece in the Halifax Courier ( local evening paper ) mentioning the hydro-electric generation and was curious as to how this operated and any possible effect on future fisheries . This led to finding out a little more about ' Water Power Enterprises (h2oPE)' . A further search shows that these devices are contemplated for the Ribble at Settle and lower on the Calder in Kirklees . Perhaps there is nothing to worry about but I thought it worth flagging up for others to look at/comment particularly as it is a 'Calderdale Flagship Project':confused:

Last edited:

sedgeking

Left hand ....meet right hand

Hi LeoLion:D

A usable link for your above quoted http://www.h2ope.org.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

This same subject cropped up on the bankside this very afternoon.:eek:
Talk about contrary applications.....I have been looking at documents this last week outlining details for the destruction of obstacles and inclusion of fish passes on our Calder weirs.
A new fish pass has just been recently opened in Wakefield and as we speak another one is under construction in Dewsbury.
Couple this with Yorkshire Water's plans to reduce flows from all the major tributary's....so effecting the Calder flows...would make for one very lame duck of a project for our councils to waste money on.

Guess its probably a green light for consent then:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I can think of a lot better projects than this one;)

Hi Roy:D

I didn't forget how to ride the bike after all:D.....and my 'Guest Of The Day' didn't leave me a lot to sweep up behind him:cool:

tigermoth

Yorkshire Hospitality

I didn't forget how to ride the bike after all:D.....and my 'Guest Of The Day' didn't leave me a lot to sweep up behind him:cool:

I am minded of the phrase "sh1t before shovel":eek:;) ...and there was me thinking you were just extending some warm Yorkshire hospitality:D

Well... if only all fishing trips could be this good. The day started in fine form with a short call from "room service" asking what I would like on my bacon bap - and there on my arrival riverside, was SK himself with said provender nicely insulated in a bit of foil - result! And the day just got better from there on... the river was a really heartening place to be, full of character and with lots of features to fish and think your way through.

Looking down the river course it was difficult to imagine that we were slap in the middle of one of West Yorks most populous areas, and only the odd rumble of a train traversing the viaduct overhead tipped any kind of nod to the area's recent industrial past. This is a river bursting with life: a slight shuffle of my feet released clouds of chironimids, and there were a few dainty olives skating about before the grayling nicked them off the surface.

A huge thanks to Ian for showing me the river and letting me take the best of the fishing, not sure I always did it complete justice but it wasn't for lack of trying. Thanks also for reminding me what the Sedge was for:eek::D

The fishing was lively throughout the day, with always something happening to keep our interest. The ladies were pretty and in perfect shape:

Best bit of fishing of the afternoon was watching SK stick his olive pattern in a tight little 'V' of glassy current to tempt a good sized grayling. The window or presentation was tight and the lie was surrounded by dragging current. I politely passed up the opportunity but Ian's offering didn't disappoint... thanks for a great day out mate - top stuff!

sedgeking

Whats going on!....always worth a question

It just goes to show that its always worth asking a simple question.

Further to me reporting about the start of a fish pass construction(left hand meet right hand -2 posts ago)......I was presuming:eek::eek:......having read a report with this conclusion......when in fact this was unauthorised work taking place on the weir:eek::eek::eek:

So from a simple question...... the perpetrator now has the responsibility of finance and completion of a fully operational fish pass to undertake responsibility for:D:D:D:D:D....years ahead of the proposed plan.:cool::cool:

sedgeking

Back handed compliments

Hi tigermoth:D

and my 'Guest Of The Day' didn't leave me a lot to sweep up behind him

Well I gave you the option of anonymity tigermoth and gave you a compliment(I was worried that it took you 3 casts for the first lady of the day;))....just in case it transpired about the the fact you had to be taught by the Calder Ladies:eek: that SEDGES ARE NOT BITE INDICATORS....the squeal in your voice will live with me till next Halloween...."It's took my sedge".....errr YES.
Thanks for the memorable day
Good angling anyway:D:D ...and I'm confident it won't be your last visit to our PIUR.

sedgeking

1st River Lamprey in over 300yrs????

I finally had the chance to upload the video I took on the 27/8 of the first River Lamprey(possibly in history) in the Calder system.
Its not what you would call conclusive evidence.... but I felt no need to get down and dirty in the water and wrestle it to the bank:rolleyes:possibly killing it in the process...these guys are not 4' long like their "Sea" and 4" of their "Brook" cousins.

http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc95/sedgeking/?action=view&current=lamprey.flv

Sorry for the link.... but it's now been over an hour trying to embed it:mad::mad::mad::mad: (which I've done before) can anyone help....photobucket change of system to blame ????...or :eek::eek::eek::eek:...me???......or FFF ADMIN is this something you have done:eek:

Just thought it may be a point of interest for some of you out there;)

Cranefly

Now that is brilliant; even down to the cr@p but just good enough camera work!! You'll need to be making way for sturgeon next!

regards

Rob

MrP

. . . . . .Well I gave you the option of anonymity tigermoth . . . . . . that SEDGES ARE NOT BITE INDICATORS....

glad someone else is attempting to teach the teacher the error of his ways!

P

spidersplus

Has anyone fished the Wharfe recently?

Had 2 1/2 hours out today on the Wharfe at Bolton Abbey.

Fished from the Abbey down to the Devonshire Arms and back again - lovely day as the wind had dropped and the river was probably just 6 - 8 inches up and running clear.

Still lots of leaves on the trees so a fair number coming through the river - sadly no fish rising (no fly life at all in the air or on the river.)

Bugs, Spiders and Duo ... nowt interested the fish.

So - has anyone fished the Bolton Abbey stretch recently and if so - any idea where the Grayling might be?

Kind regards