Yorkshire Waters

sedgeking

Many thanks to all, out there, who have sent messages of goodwill:D:D:D

39 fish between them to 40cm...

Hope the mind stays unexploded for a few more minutes If not, dust off that rubber ring...

I expect nothing less from you sir:p.....At least the laughing now doesn't give pain like when I had the gallbladder removed.

Had a 'today'(26th) report from the Wharfe (Pool Bank) where fishing was slow until mid afternoon when he attached a size 18 CDC smut (Ffly)......did the trick even though no apparent hatch was visible.........make hay while that sun shines;)

spidersplus

A bit different up at Bolton Abbey - shared a rod with the river keeper yesterday - fished for 3 hours from half past Midday from the Cavendish Pavillion up into Strid Wood to Roberts Seat, taking it in turns to fish likely looking spots.

Mild weather to start with then the rain and cold wind came down the valley -tried bugs and micro dry patterns -we both blanked.

I understand that very few day tickets have been sold in the last two weeks so the river is / has not been "hammered" by Anglers - so have any season rods fished recently and if so - have you found any fish?

Kind regards

sedgeking

Different Angle

Hi spiderplus:D

I understand that very few day tickets have been sold in the last two weeks so the river is / has not been "hammered" by Anglers

Despite your protest Phil my experience is that Grayling are 'not hammerable' in the way you project.

Might I suggest a change from Wharfedale to Calderdale where the Grayling, in all essence, are receiving more of a 'hammering' but seem susceptible to more than an odd trip out of the water into awaiting nets/hands.

A change is as good as a rest etc.....but you seem to be going through personal torture on the Wharfe.

spidersplus

Sedgeking,

Apologies for not explaining my comment very well - what I meant to say was that the vast majority of day ticket anglers, fishing the Wharfe on the Bolton Abbey beat, generally stay within a short distance of either the Devonshire Arms car park or the Cavendish car park so those areas of the river receive a lot more wading and angling than the stretches further up-river.

(Not my comment - straight from the river keeper)

Hence any fish in those areas see a lot more artificial flies than the fish in Strid Wood for example.

A drive over to the Calder would certainly be a welcome change but as I have only ever fished on that river for two days in February this year in the snow with a dozen other anglers and sadly I blanked both days, would obviously find it difficult to know exactly where in the river to try to winkle out a Grayling or two.

( I have read on this forum that a catch of 10, 15, 20 fish in a day happens but have never experienced this myself or actually seen it happen)

I do have two day tickets in my waistcoat for the Calder - must check as to the validity of them but visiting a new river is always tricky if one does not know the different beats or where to find the fish.
Kind regards

Calder Junky

Calder Grayling

Phil,

Think i'd have to agree with Sedgekings comments regarding grayling not being 'hammerable'. I'm certain significant angling pressure can't help in the long term but as an example on my beloved Calder i've fished several shortish sessions on exactly the same stretch of water (glide even for want of a better description) last Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, this Wednesday and again this morning. I know John Tyzack did to it what he does best on Tuesday of this week to compound matters and still the least its produced for me is eight fish in about 90 minutes. This morning produced 11 fish in about 75minutes (including two on dries!)

With all of that pressure on such a short stretch of water, the fishing really doesn't seem to be suffering at all.

I've fished a number of other beats on the Calder as well of late and can confirm that its in top form.

Certainly worth checking the validity of those day tickets or putting your hand in your pocket for a shiny new one;)

CJ

spidersplus

11 fish in 75 minutes - WOW! - never seen that many fish being caught in such a short period of time.

I guess I'm just concerned that if a short stretch of water gets fished on a regular basis, the fish are going to become more difficult to catch (River Wharfe Bolton Abbey day ticket "beats")

I will certainly dust off the day tickets - or as you say, buy a new one and try a day next week on the Calder - still not sure where to go but spoke with John Tyzack this morning who suggested where at least to start.

Wish me luck - I'll need it!

Calder Junky - any hints as to where to try???

Kind regards

Last edited:

sedgeking

Preconceptions

Hi spiderplus:D

I guess I'm just concerned that if a short stretch of water gets fished on a regular basis, the fish are going to become more difficult to catch (River Wharfe Bolton Abbey day ticket "beats")

A preconception that has no foundation Phil....unless as, CJ implies, it is taken to an extreme.

Now don't take this the wrong way:eek:
Normally I would have probably volunteered to come and hold your hand....but your a big boy now and the Calder is in good form.
Put it this way.... Blindfolded and placed on the river somewhere between Mirfield and Mytholmroyd (14mile) it wouldn't take long to find a Grayling.

I'm confident JT will have given you the location of one of the more popular stretches.......but don't 'overthink' about it....don't use luck....use positive attitude and knowledge;)

I start physio on my leg this week but if you let me know..... you may just see some watching eyes over a bridge somewhere(with a couple of walking sticks):D:D:D

spidersplus

Sedgeking,

No idea where either Mirfield or Mytholmroyd are - I am going to head for a Rugby Club car park, next to the river with a Church over a bridge that is next to the rugby club.

(This is where the group from the February Grayling weekend first fished.)

I think that I should then walk up-river by the side of the river, under a large railway arch and drop into the river somewhere down from there.

I am only picking this again because we fished in this area in February.

Use my Knowledge? I have no knowledge of fishing on the Calder apart from the two sessions over the February weekend which resulted in zero fish so that is why I have been asking for ideas here.

Perhaps Calder Junky has some experience of this stretch of the river - your help would be very gratefully received!

Kind regards

Last edited:

royvs

Phil,

Changed my mind..I've PMd you with some revised directions rather than post them inopen forum.

Last edited:

Mal Hunter

Pro Member
First ever grayling

The fog eventually lifted at around noon so I took my neighbour on a long promised trip down to Pool on Wharfedale to see if he could catch his first ever grayling. I gave him a couple of flies and showed him how to nymph then wandered up the bank a wee bit. The cheeky s*d had one before me! He had a few more and he was over the moon. The fish are colouring up and giving a great fight for their size. Lovely day to be out and about. Anyone else got anything to report?

Tight lines all
Marra

Calder Junky

Calder Hot Spots

Phil,

Sorry for not posting sooner but i have one or two family problems on the boil at the moment:(.

Looking at other peoples posts you already seem to have a number of handy pointers in your possession as to where to start so i wont attempt to complicate matters. All i would say is that the river is in fine fettle at the moment and i'd suggest its just a matter of giving it a go rather than worrying too much about where exactly to fish it.

From your recent accounts on the Wharfe it doesn't sound like you have too much to loose (apart from maybe a leg to the Pike that helped me to a total of 5 1/2 fish on Friday afternoon at Standard Wire:eek:)

Give it a go and if you struggle drop me a PM and i'll see if we can meet up for an hour sometime to put you onto some of the Calders good time girls;);)

CJ

spidersplus

Hello CJ,

Many thanks again for the advice.

I am going to take the day off next Wednesday to drive over, subject to the weather forecast (don't mind the cold too much but hate fishing in driving rain ...)

Will park at the rugby club at Copley and try upriver I think to start with.

Will report back after the day.

Kind regards

spidersplus

Finally managed to get a day on the Calder today after aborted plans due to snow and ice over the last two weeks!

Got to the water at 10:15am - the temperature today seemed so much warmer than the last few days and ... wow! - the sun was even trying to shine.

Fished the water downstream from Copley Bridge (shame how filthy the river is at this point) either side of the island, then moved upstream of the bridge to the next island, then around to the riffles just down from the first railway bridge - no fish to be had at any of these beats by 2pm.

Moved upriver for inspiration and dropped in opposite where the wall ends over on the far bank - managed 3 Grayling here then walked back down river to another glide about 100 yards on and landed two more Grayling.

Packed up at 4pm when the light faded and the temp was dropping - 5 fish in 6 hours ... not easy today but at least not a blank. the fish seemed to be in the slower water and not the spots that had been recommended but hey - that's fishing for you!

Kind regards