Yorkshire Waters

spidersplus

Sid,

Considering that everybody seems to empty the river when they fish the Calder and expect nothing less than 15, 20, 25 fish or more in a day, 5 fish in 6 hours was a good day for me but some might say not!

There was not a single rising fish all day - so it was boring ole' bugging time! I had a black tungsten beaded P. Tail bug on the point (with a green collar), a PTN on the middle dropper and pink shrimp on the top dropper - 3 fish took the pink shrimp, two took the middle dropper.

Kind regards

sid

i'd love to have 5 winter grayling in a day , they are few and far between on the river Wear .
or maybe its just me :D normally get a few during the trout season , nice ones too , but as soon as i target them in the autumn/winter .........:confused::confused:.

looking to get out between xmas and new year if the river settles as its been high and colloured the last few weeks .;)

sedgeking

Hi spiderplus:D

Thanks for the report Phil:D Well done on breaking the dry rub....you don't fancy going to play for Leeds next do you....they could do with a result:D:D:D

It looks like they finally made the move into their winter lies then.:rolleyes: Well it really has been winter over the last week or so hasn't it:cool::cool:

I still cant pass a bridge without a longing look:eek: and all our rivers have been up and down like the proverbial 'whores knickers'.:eek:

spidersplus

Hello Sid,

Please don't get me wrong - 5 fish in about an hour (when I finally found some fish) was excellent!

I had received some helpful advice over the past few weeks from very kind forums members as to where to try but all those beats suggested seemed to be devoid of fish.

So "pot luck" as in finding a stretch of river that was firstly easy to get into (the Calder seems to have a lot of very high banks in places and one needs to act like a mountain goat at times to just get into the river!) then had some flow seemed to be the order of the day.

Without fish actually rising, it is difficult to know where to try - so I know I was lucky yesterday to actually find some fish.

The river had a lot of debris on the banks, some if it very high up from the river level so I guess that the levels had been up by a few feet recently.

Good luck with your Christmas and New Year outings!

Kind regards

jonnied17-2008

should be fishing the aire nr bingley over xmas will keep you all posted on wot happens hopefully a few ladies might give my rod the battle curve ;););)

tightlines

Kisauni

Have you fly fished the Aire near bingley before ?

Is it good for grayling, if so , which club holds the rights ?

I usually fish further up the Aire on the Bradford city ticket (Gargrave to Broughton) which is nice and at times excellent.

Joel

jonnied17-2008

Have you fly fished the Aire near bingley before ?

Is it good for grayling, if so , which club holds the rights ?

I usually fish further up the Aire on the Bradford city ticket (Gargrave to Broughton) which is nice and at times excellent.

Joel

certain spots hold quite a lot of grayling.
i advise you get the bingley book, there streches at beckfoot are very good, my first time there i was bugging, i ended up with 7 trout and 10 grayling, ive often been down and caught around 10 fish. some good dry fly fishing to be had 2, ive had trout to just under 4lb and grayling just over 2, and seen much bigger fish.

hope this helps

johntyzack

Recent reports of the Calder's 'demise'...

... have, I am very pleased to say, been a little premature ;)

Short session this afternoon found fish well ensconced in their winter lies and eager to feed in the high but crystal clear water. 18 grayling to about a pound or just over joined me briefly before bad light stopped play.

If any of you are venturing out over the Christmas period, then may your lines be tight! :D

JT

spidersplus

John,

Don't remember reading anywhere about the Calder's "demise" - maybe you are looking at a different forum ...

Any hints as to where the "winter lies" for the Grayling are on the Calder as I am planning another trip between Christmas and the New Year - probably Tues next week.

Kind regards

deano

anyone fished the rivers in west yorks recently???

Fished the Calder today. It was cold but the river was as clear as clear can be and was a good height Me and my mate had just short of 40 fish between us. All Grayling to a pound. PTN was the best fly on the day, although pink and orange shrimp picked up a few fish. Hope that helps

Deano

jonnied17-2008

Fished the Calder today. It was cold but the river was as clear as clear can be and was a good height Me and my mate had just short of 40 fish between us. All Grayling to a pound. PTN was the best fly on the day, although pink and orange shrimp picked up a few fish. Hope that helps

Deano

cheers fella should be givin the aire a crack tmora with a mate, good to know the rivers are in good nick, love em wen there low and clear!!!

sedgeking

Calder looks good

Don't miss the boat Phil:D

Went down today after my hospital appointments to see if you were fishing....just read your previous post:eek:.

Its in good order:cool::cool:...running gin clear still, as deano found it.

Had a couple of reports for the Wharfe too where the fish are in a similar vein....moved 10 yds into the tails and slower pools and showing to about a pound in the shoal.

Tight lines.....I'm off to Jockland (seeing I cant fish) for hogmanay:D so will wish everyone a Happy New Year

HAPPY NEW YEAR

guest70

Any of you Yorkshire lads familiar with the Ure around Masham? I'm up there tomorrow for the day. Any tips would be appreciated!

M

Mal Hunter

Pro Member
cheers, what set up were you on??? were you fishin the spiders deep?

I was using a 4wt floater with 4lb fluorocarbon. I'd say the flies were about 3 inches under since I could see the takes clearly. Truth to tell I've never had much success deep fishing with spiders although I know some folk fish them on the droppers with a bead head on the point. The only reason I had fluoro on was because I had switched over from bugging, generally I'll use drennan nylon or copolymer. The Wharfe is running crystal clear at the minute.

Tight lines & all the best for 2009
Marra

Latest posts