Yorkshire Waters

colmans

Day ticket availability

Hi guys,

Just wondering about day ticket availibility in Yorkshire? I've got a couple of friends over in September and was hoping to get them on some good day ticket rivers. I'm based in Nottingham and am going to take them to Derbyshire for a day or two but wondered if there was any day tickets in Yorkshire to take them to as well.

Regards

Johnny

Jangala

birdboot said:
I had a couple of hours on the Swale below Catterick Bridge today.QUOTE]

That is the Bridge House Hotel's water isn't it? I've never fished there myself as a day ticket seems a bit expensive and it doesn't look any better than the adjacent Richmond waters. Do you find it a better stretch of water than Richmond?

Jangala

Fishing the Wharfe at Bolton Abbey On Saturday it was like mid summer with my thermometer recording the temperature as 26C! In the mid morning there was a decent hatch of olives and also lots of Grannom. Fish were feeding well on both and had several nice fish in quick succession, with a sedge pattern particularly successful. However, as the day went on hatches faded out. There was however still a lot of surface activity in the still parts of pools to midges. The fishing was more like summer than spring, but at least there is still a good flow of water in the Wharfe and it's fishing well on the nymph and spiders.

Jangala

Swale at Great Langton

Against my better judgement I fished the Swale at Great Langton on Monday. Past experience suggests this stretch is great for Grayling but poor for trout. However, my wife likes fishing this stretch and so insisted we go here as subtleties such as the close season seem to pass her by! Anyway I was right as I didn't see a trout all morning but had 9 Grayling even though I tried to avoid them.

There were lots of Grayling rising to midges in the long flats but few other flies around until about midday when Grannom's seemed to be everywhere. However, there was little response to this, which only strengthens my belief that there are few trout in this stretch.

The river is very clear and low at present and so I was surprised that the river seemed very cloudy at Great Langton Bridge. I couldn't understand this until I got about half way up the beat and found that the course of the river has been extensively remodelled by the winter floods and is now eating into the soil bank and this was colouring the water. Someone is going to have to do some work here or the farmer will loose half his field and the siltation isn't helping the river.

It's also Lamprey spawning time and this is a favorite stretch with them. There are hundreds of writhing lampreys in some of the gravelly pool tails creating large redds of clean pale gravel. Does anyone else have lampreys spawning in their rivers?

jamesw

Imago said:
birdboot said:
I had a couple of hours on the Swale below Catterick Bridge today.QUOTE]

That is the Bridge House Hotel's water isn't it? I've never fished there myself as a day ticket seems a bit expensive and it doesn't look any better than the adjacent Richmond waters. Do you find it a better stretch of water than Richmond?
No, it's the Leeds water, which is below the Bridge House one. Last I heard, the hotel's day ticket was £5, which is the same as the Leeds one, but the latter stretch is much longer and more varied.

Jangala

I know the Leeds stretch quite well and your right that its a good bit of water, particularly for Grayling. Also a season ticket is quite reasonably priced, though I can't remember exactly how much. One day I'll have to fish the Bridge House stretch just to see what it's like.

GaryC

Calder Today

Managed a few hours on the Calder today, started at @ 11.30 nothing rising nor any flies hatching so on with a PTN goldhead and a small czech on a dropper. Nowt for the first half an hour and given the low water levels and cool wind no surprise.
Decided to try the streamier water and deeper runs with a weighted Czech on a size 8 Siman hook and a small black nymph on the dropper, Result a nice 14" trout took the czech and gave a really good account of himself.
Two casts later and im into another lovely fish as the sun comes out and warms my cockles. Another brown but a tad larger at 17" and very thick set probably touching 3lb.
Sat back on the bank for a few moments and realised how I had misread this beat many times before this season, this year it all seems to be coming together here and im REALLY enjoying it.
Moved up the stream to give the pool a rest and found what must have been a nursery as after changing to a cdc/elk with a size22 ptn underneath Ihad about a dozen browns from 3" to 6" in under half an hour.
A lovely afternoon in the best of the days weather and another plus for the Yorkshire diaries.
Gary:) :) :)

Tango51

Jangala

Tango51 said:
Thanks for the link Steve, just what I needed. Daughter is moving to Catterick in a couple of months so we'll be spending a bit of time up there. :) Saves me having to choose a campsite with it's own beat, one must get the priorities sorted beforehand. :D
I live in Catterick; actually Colburn on the outskirts of Catterick. If you're visiting the area drop me a PM and I'll show you around the Richmond AC beat of the Swale if you want. It's a nice stretch with wild browns and grayling just outside Catterick.

MickeyP Coolstreams

Hi Folks,

Managed to get a couple of hours in on the West Yorkshire Colne around Linthwaite yesterday. Quite warm weather with a stiffish down stream breeze but nicely overcast, plenty of olives coming off and plenty of fish rising to them. So it was on with the dry fly and I managed 13 trout all coming to a size 14 Elk and CDC. I took a couple of pics of the best of the fish with my new camera, I would be interested to know what kind of predator made the scars on the first fishes shoulders.

Not the biggest of fish I know but great fun.

Cheers

Mick Pogson

GaryC

predator

Hi Mickey
That looks distinctly like the old cormorant scar to me.:mad:
Nice fish btw.
Gary:)

GaryC

Another day in Paradise

Calder today,
Finished my chores early today so was tempted into throwing a line for a few hours.
Hoping the recent rain although not huge in amounts may have just livened up the river. Wrong, the rain had made not a jot of difference. Low levels but a bit of colour and an overcast day so off I trots.
Walked the beat with a thirst quenching bottle and saw just a couple of LDO,s coming off the water as well as a few black gnats hovering. The only surface action seemed to be one or two fish just taking nymphs from under the surface and breaking a small ring, no definate takes to the emerging ephemerids.
So on with the proven goldhead nymphs, size 10 on the point and a size 14 on the dropper 28" up the line (2.6 lb drennan my favourite).
15 minutes later and just approaching the streamier water my confidence and belief in my ability are waning, not a touch.:eek:
Just as my thoughts are turning to my birds the trout oblige, yet again the streamier runs and more difficult fishing produce the goods and a nice 10" brownie comes to hand and is released.
Now fishing the pools which have produced larger fish lately so im probing and stalking with a touch more intensity and concentration, a slight twitch on a really fast run gives me an indication of the fish in the swim, next cast im in! Well was in two runs across the stream and 15 yards up the stream and the line parts:eek: Not only two of my nicest nymphs but a lump of a fish with them.
Still onward and upward and 15 minutes later I get my rewards, another 18" 2 1/2 lb plus wild brown (picture to follow). Fought like hell and swam away as if it had never been caught.
Fished on for a further couple of hours taking about a dozen further fish to 1 1/2 lb and even had several small fish on dries using an elk and cdc with a peacock body and a small ptn(22) on a 12" NZ style dropper.
The fishing at the start of this season has convinced me that theres a 5lb fish just waiting to be caught around here, I cant wait.
Gary:)

Jangala

I'm sure that 5 pounder is in there too, but it looks like we need a bit of rain to freshen up the rivers and get the fish back on the feed. I too was hoping the promised rain this week would do the trick, but it looks like it's never amounted to anything so I guess fishing will be quite hard.

jamesw

Had a couple of hours on the Nidd at Summerbridge today. It was a pleasant, sunny day with a light north westerly breeze. There was little sign of fly life except the very occasional olive and the fish that were showing sporadically seemed to be grayling. Fished the duo upstream and had a lively brownie of about 10 inches, but generally things were quiet and a little disappointing. Nidderdale AC said they would be stocking greater numbers this year to make up for the loss of thousands of fish last year due to the virus outbreak. However, on today's evidence, I am not sure whether any fish have been introduced yet.

Gina

Major pollution on Calder

There has been a major pollution incident on the River Calder from Salterhebble downstream. For further information please check The 'Calder pollution' thread in General Flyfishing Topics

Gina Le Faux

jamesw

Still no rain and the Swale at Catterick is low and clear. The Leeds water near Catterick village fishes OK in most conditions as it is quite varied. However, fly life is usually sparse. There were a few olives and one or two hawthorn flies about this morning but nothing rising. I fished for a couple of hours and had a nice grayling around 12 inches and a smaller trout, both on a small klinkhamer on the edges of the faster runs. Some rain would be nice and if it doesn't come over the Bank Holiday weekend i don't think it ever will ;)

DrRob

I had a day on the Wharfe above Burnsall today, as with the Swale it’s quite low and gin clear. There were intermittent hatches all day; Brook Duns, L.D.O., Midges, Hawthorns and I even sighted a couple of May Flies! I fished the dry fly for most of the day with most fish coming up to a size 14 Kite’s Imperial.

I worked my way up from the suspension bridge to Linton stepping stones casting in to the likely looking spots and to any rising trout. Finished with 8 trout for the day but I missed many more due to striking to early I bagged a couple and will BBQ them at the weekend.

There was a stiff upstream breeze for most of the day which meant that rises were sporadic but sport was still good. On strolling back to the car I concentrated on trout spotting which was easy due to the footpath being at a good height above the river and gives a good view in to the water. I must have spotted going on 20 trout above 2lbs in various positions throughout a 1.5 mile stretch. Some rain would be nice just to freshen it up a little bit but all told are part of the Wharfe is fishing it’s socks off at the moment 

timmy

A lot of this post is lifted from anonther of my posts, so sorry if you've seen it before, but the bit about CATCH RECORDS. is really important, so I'm posting here as well...

Sorry to have dropped off the radar for a while, just a quick update.
The EA are investigating, but it is too early for them to make anything public.
We (Gina and I and the affected clubs.) had a productive meeting on the 1st, we are now all working together and sharing information.
Something that came out of the meeting that you can help with, is the need for good information. So if you saw anything, please take some notes now while it is still reasonably fresh. Things like: When you were on the river. If you saw any dead fish. Over what distance and between which bounds you saw them. What spieces you saw. If you took photos please let me know.

Also If you fish any where on the Calder, please keep catch records: date, time, spieces, quantity, weather and water conditions.

A form is in the works, but it may take a couple of days to get ready, so please start your records now...

We are hoping to make the forms availiable from local Tackle shops, and I'm trying to find someone to host it online (mods, can you help?)

Thanks,
Tim.

Latest posts