Yorkshire Waters

GaryC

At Last

Well
At last we have some rain:)
I dont think it likely that many of us welcome a good downpour but given the last month here in Gods own county we really do need it.
The river levels are low and I have never noticed before how much silt and algea build up without a good flush through.
The fishing has been reasonable throughout but im sure the whole micro environment would benefit from a really good soaking.
Gary:)

DrRob

I'm with you Gary, this rain will hopefully freshen up the rivers a bit, especially the Calder with its recent problems this rain might flush it out a bit and move some fish about. I’m out on the Wharfe on Friday afternoon so this rain should liven it up and give us some good sport. The upper reaches are showing their bones and I’ve heard that parts of the Skirfare have dried up !

_Dom_

DrRob said:
I'm with you Gary, this rain will hopefully freshen up the rivers a bit, especially the Calder with its recent problems this rain might flush it out a bit and move some fish about. I’m out on the Wharfe on Friday afternoon so this rain should liven it up and give us some good sport. The upper reaches are showing their bones and I’ve heard that parts of the Skirfare have dried up !
I hope the wind drops for you !

jamesw

Talking of the wind, I was on the Tees today (not a Yorkshire river, I know, but it was at Manfield which is in the county of North Yorkshire). I normally wouldn't go fly fishing in such a gale, but I was getting withdrawal symptoms. Surprisingly, there was a very prolonged hatch which was sustained for some two hours - olives, yellow mays and sedges - and it would have been a good day but for the ferocious wind. I hooked and lost a trout and had three grayling on nymph before calling it a day after being wacked round the head for the umpteenth time by my landing net, which was on my back! Driving home, the weather report mentioned 50mph gusts at Leeming. The recent rain hasn't done much although the river did look slightly coloured. It might be good if the wind settles on Friday.

ROVER

Trade Member
Whereabout in manfield?? was it the ATDAA water at the pigfarm down on the way to swinelairs??

jamesw

ROVER said:
Whereabout in manfield?? was it the ATDAA water at the pigfarm down on the way to swinelairs??
Not sure about pigs, but it was the first farm on the lane from Manfield.

I was on the Swale above Grinton today (walking, not fishing) and it was up quite a bit. Still fishable and reasonably clear, but I imagine the Swale lower down (e.g. Catterick) will be pretty high and there is rain forecast for Sunday.

silver spider

River Wharfe Ilkley

I had a couple of hours on the river this morning and the conditions are still not good. Water level has dropped a foot from the weekend but still high. Fished a pheasant tail nymph under a klinkhammer as a new zealand dropper.
It was difficult to keep pace on the retrieve and missed several bites, hooked a few that got off and had a small trout and a biggish grayling. Nearly had a 150lbs canoeist but he and the other three that came straight through the swim without an appology got away. The new zealand dropper is my prefered method when fishing the wharfe it works a treat first thing in the morning and when no fish are showing. Last week I had a short session and had a spell of a bite a cast. The week before I had three trout pushing the three pound mark, plump stockies all from within 10 feet of each other. The bend in my little river rod was like the wembley arch.

I have spoken to a lot of people about the Bolton Abbey stretch and they all say the same thing too many tourists. Ilkley can be the same but if you pick your spot you can find some space and some great fish. Plus a day ticket is only £11 not the £25 at the Abbey

GaryC

Couldn't resist

Hi
I was out looking at a job yesterday afternoon and as i'm showing a visitor the Calder this weekend I thought I would peek at the river. Well as I arrived at the bridge in question there was a fellow fly man and aquaintance already peering into the depths.
Lo and behold the swim was ALIVE with trout literally fighting to take flies or emergers from the surface.After exchanging pleasantries and wishing we were both fishing I decided the temptation was too much, waders on 3 piece in hand and two casts later the first fish was in hand.My associate had seen enough and had to return to work(its a tough life). I fished on for an hour and had 3 more fish.
The simple pleasures really return and are amplified in these short spontaneous sessions and it was a real hour on the plus side when I get to the pearly gates moment.:D
See you Saturday Robert, Ill show you the spot;)

Gary:)

jamesw

On the Swale today between Reeth and Low Row. It has dropped nicely since the weekend and was just right for fishing. I had four small trout on an F fly before seeing something rising in a patch of foam behind some rocks under some overhanging branches. After about 20 mins of frustrating efforts to land a fly in the almost static foam foam without snagging or immediate drag, I decided to switch from the F fly to a size 12 klinkhamer. Second cast into the foam and in the split second before the drag caught it a brutal take and a trout was on. It was a decent fish and I was scared of losing it in the current or the branches in the water, but finally got it to the net. Sadly, forgot my camera today but it was a nice plump fish of about 1.5 lbs. They come much bigger sometimes, up to 3lbs, but usually to worm and I was satisfied with my efforts on the fly.

gregbwfc

Fished the Wharfe at Bolton Abbey yesterday.Plenty of fish rising,lots of fly life.Had 4 browns on klinkhamers and olives:) .Lost a few,missed a few more:( .
Reel fell off my rod,retrieval of which involved me getting(a)wet,and(b)my entire line in a complete mess,the unravelling of which to place to a chorus of fish laughing at me as they rose profusely not 10 yards away:mad: :mad: :mad: .
Had a great day though,can't wait to get back.

Andy.

smallmouth

South Yorkshire Don

I’m amazed the South Yorkshire Don hasn’t had a mention in a thread about Yorkshire rivers.

The wild trout and grayling fishing really is very good from Oughtibridge right up past Hazlehead, and most stretches are idyllic. Haven’t fished it myself for quite a while now, but when I was a regular I scarcely saw a soul even on superb lengths like Wharncliffe or Hazlehead. Does no one here fish it?

jamesw

I had a couple of hours on the Swale above Catterick Bridge (Thornaby AC water) this morning. I started quite early due to other commitments in the afternoon (and forecast of heavy rain!). It was sunny, the river was low and very clear and I started off with a small klinkhamer fishing the faster runs. I missed several takes and lost one before getting into a nice trout, pictured below. Having forgotten my net, I had to coax him to the bank and grab him. At this time, there was a mixed bag of flies coming off, yellow mays, olives and sedges and I thought I saw a mayfly, which is uncommon for that area. A few minutes later, a slightly smaller trout from the same pool. There was an (apparently) small grayling rising quite near me, but no matter what I tried I couldn't get it to take the fly, then it it all went quiet and apart from a couple of missed takes I didn't do much over the next hour. A very pleasant interlude in what was esssentially a working day for me - nice to see the kingfishers, dippers and the ducklings that are now about half the size of their mum.

ArcticFoxFly

Went to the River Aire at Broughton (downstream) (Bradford No1AA) last night. My dad caught two chub and missed quite a few grayling. I caught one grayling and a chub also on dry fly, all the fish what we caught were small.

I had a walk downstream to the limit and I noticed a small pike resting in the shallows.

There were lot of fish rising, with a few bigger splashes in between.

Arctic

smallmouth

Hiding an entire headwater?????

Paul G said:
The major rights are leased by the Upper Don Flyfishers (which operates out of the South Yorkshire Branch of the S&TA).
However if someone wanted just a small taster, I believe they could buy a £5 day ticket from Morehall Garden Centre to access a relatively short length of the river at Wharncliffe.

Paul G said:
The club has a strict policy for not publicising the fishery because of its sensitive location regarding poaching……….
Why are the upper reaches of the South Yorkshire Don a “sensitive location regarding poaching”?

And why is the upper Don valley more vulnerable to publicity than say…….(just for example)....the upper reaches of the Calder?............
Paul G said:
Just to whet the appetite for the trouting weekend; this is a fish I had from the Calder on opening day. I didn't have any scales but from experience I'd guess it at around 3 1/2 lb. Go get 'em you trouting weekenders.
"Go get 'em" indeed............

Last edited:

smallmouth

Hiding an entire Headwater II

I got your PM, but as I’m not willing to buy into all this “behind closed doors” stuff, I prefer to reply on the open forum.

Paul G said:
One VERY STRICT requirement on the Don fishery is to not publicise it in uncontrolled fora such as magazines or internet discussion boards.
Are you having a laugh? The river Don was extensively written about and photographed for FF&FT, for instance check out the 2003 issues! Also, only a little effort on my part turned up 2 web pages this afternoon, both are part of “guiding” websites.......

Paul G said:
The rationale is simply that poaching has been observed to increase markedly following publication of information in the past.
Really? Or much more likely just a few village kids wanting to fish their local stream in the summer holidays without any chance of legitimate access?

Paul G said:
The South Yorks branch members have broken their backs over the last 30 to restore the Don and working parties are regularly held to continue this work. I think the Calder is equally valuable, but at present the same culture of fishery members running working parties has not been established.
So the Calder deserves poaching, for not having working parties? Surely those who believe a no publicity rule helps to reduce poaching should apply the same consideration to all similar rivers near urban conurbations, regardless of the written or unwritten rules of the club?

Paul G said:
I am happy to abide by the judgement of the people that have built this fishing club…….These are their rules and, I for one, appreciate their right to assert them given the massive proportion of their lives that they have put into this river.
All very deferential I’m sure, but should those of us not “in the club” pretend an entire river headwater and an important wild brown trout/grayling fishery, doesn’t exist just because the UDFF or S&TA might wish that they would?

Paul G said:
Regarding Wharncliffe; beats are now leased by the UDFF.
http://www.morehallwatergardens.co.uk/

Last edited:

Latest posts