Yorkshire Waters

Derwent Fly

Managed to get a couple of hours on Dove before the weather changed and wind got up. 8 fish rose in first hour and managed five. Four trout and a grayling. Best fish below. Great colours on Dove wild trout. Although phone photo doesn't do it justice.

As soon as wind rose, there wasn't another rise. As its mid May I am only fishing the dry and that was it.

Cdc and Elk did the damage. Fly life was a few olives and the occasional Daddy Longlegs.

Wildlife included great spotted woodpecker, kingfisher and you know the feeling you are being watched. Looked up to see huge old dog fox looking at me intently. He ambled off without a care.

David

Last edited:

john10001

Hi John,

I,m no expert at this as my post says its first time I tried it. NZ style is quite popular and is where you tie a short length of tippet (say 10") to the bend of you dry fly and attach nymph or buzzer. The lenght of tippet is somewhat determined by the depth of water you are fishing.

There is lots of info on here (do a search) and on You Tube.

Cheers
Dave
Ah! Thanks! I have fished this way before but never knew it was called this or had a name. What do you usually fish underneath? I am guessing a klinkhammer or some sort of dry on top, or two wets? gold head or tungsten buzzers? Quite interested because a lot of the time I am quite lazy and only fish one fly at a time and don't use more than one.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 PM ----------

Anyone have an update of the different water levels and how our rivers are fishing atm?

I have been away in London the weekend just gone. The week before that was off work really ill with a bad cold or flu, and the week before that was in Cardiff but didn't get a chance to fish the Wye as it was a washout on the bank holiday Monday. Hopefully will get out sometime soon. I hear that the weather ahead of us is forecasting to be good.

black and silver

Banned
Banned
Had my first ever session on the Nidd, what a fantastic little river car'nt believe it's taken me this long to fish it.
Managed one out of season Grayling about a pound, a dye marked Browny about one and a half pound and 3 wild looking unmarked brownies biggest about a pound.
Can not wait to return for another session.

highbank

Had my first ever session on the Nidd, what a fantastic little river car'nt believe it's taken me this long to fish it.
Managed one out of season Grayling about a pound, a dye marked Browny about one and a half pound and 3 wild looking unmarked brownies biggest about a pound.
Can not wait to return for another session.
Couldn't agree more mate. I'm addicted to the place. Just 2 more night shifts till I'm back on it:thumbs:

lawrenceh_w

Anyone got any information on how the Ure is fishing up near Hawes? I'm up here with the wife a few day's holiday and she's letting me have a day out fishing. Seeing as the Ure runs next to Hawes I thought I might try that.

Pritts Apprentice

Had a couple of hours evening sessions on the Wharfe at Addingham on Monday and Bolton Abbey last night (Tuesday). Observed a little activity and took (what would have been in season) a reasonable size grayling to a Grey Duster dry fly yesterday, typical the hottest day of the year and Grayling start throwing themselves at me. A word of caution this fish was knackered after spawing and it took me an absolute age to get her sitting upright in the water, at least 10 minutes before she was strong enough to hold her own in the current.

Had some good sport fishing a size 16 black gnat dry fly to the wild browns feeding on some very small black fly that was coming off in the turbulent water. There were alot of spinners about bankside but nothing seemed to be venturing on the water. Its still early for evening fishing but this little bit of activity is proving promising. Can't wait for summer sedge time and those balmy August evenings when the bigs uns take a big floating fly....wonderful.

umbra abus

Anyone got any information on how the Ure is fishing up near Hawes? I'm up here with the wife a few day's holiday and she's letting me have a day out fishing. Seeing as the Ure runs next to Hawes I thought I might try that.
If you are staying up at Hawes, you need to go down to the caravan site and get a ticket for the Hawes & High Abbotside Water at £16.

It is fishing ok at the moment, we are down to summer level on the Yore as usual. Many Diptera etc enjying the hot weather this week. I still havn't seen a Mayfly in the past two days when fishing although trout are taking my micro mayfly nymphs!

Grayling are active but I won't fish for them for another two months

Enjoy the Dale lawrenceh_w

Pritts Apprentice

Had a couple of hours on the Wharfe in Strid Wood last night. Despite the heat there was very little fly life about, fewer spinners than Tuesday evening and a very occasional cloud of tiny, tiny midge swarming over the water. I had a one good fish to a large Klinkhammer in the crease of some fast, swirling water, the fish must have tracked it for a good 2m before it took, I was convinced my fly was going to drown in the current, but it floated long enough :thumbs: Fish was excellent, very dark coloured back, almost black, with some hansome red spots on its flank. You could see it was starting to put on some weight and gave me a great little fight, staying deep and tugging away, enjoyed it. But boy was that fish angry when I got it netted, it was furious :mad: at being caught and if it could have sworn the air would have been blue with bad language. I had disturbed its feeding and it was definatley not happy, putting it back it swam off at break neck speed in a right rage.

The rest of the evening was uneventful it was relaxing to hear the birds singing out strongly in Strid wood. The only other anglers I met were a Canadian couple holidaying in the area - they had some fish throughout the day but things had been slow. They both had rather nice cane rods though :)

yorkshirelad15

Fished the Wharfe at Ilkley yesterday and found it slow going in such bright, sunny conditions. Managed to find some fish by covering the faster water and shady areas under trees with spider patterns. Biggest fish was about 11/12 inches and gave a very good scrap for its size. Lost a couple of other fish too, one of which felt reasonable. Busy with the public which didn't really help matters, in fact in places it felt like Scarborough during the summer holidays! But that's just the nature of the stretch really.
River was low and could do with a good deluge.

Best of the day..

http://yorkshireflynovice.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/yorkshire-scorcher-in-which-eric.html

Last edited:

Derwent Fly

Warming up but not quite there yet. Had a strange day with 23 fish but felt I was fishing poorly and never really worked the river out

Kept catching trees, fumbling knots and the like. I was fishing the Derwent which is single fly only and on other waters would have started with the duo as nothing was rising. Fished a rocky, bouldery riffly stretch which I normally avoid as its difficult wading when water isnt clear and had 8 to the killer bug and ptn.

As day warmed up a hatch of sort occured but was still sporadic and picked up 12 on a mix of cdc and elk, kites, march brown and spent gnat but I never felt comfortable with my choice of fly. Then at 2pm river went dead and struggled to pick up 2 small bt and a large grayling in my remaining time.

Feeling was that choice of fly mattered little and it was down to the presentation. ah well mayfly soon, saw one which was ignored.

David

chess

Fished the Nidd at Ramsgill last night, water very low and clear. Picked up half a dozen small fish on klinks in the faster riffles. Quite a few Mayfly out but trout not interested in them yet.

Pritts Apprentice

Evening fishing on the Wharfe seems to be very poor at the moment, though I have heard tell of the mornings fishing better. Despite the hot weather of late and abundance of fly life (loads of spinners) the fish seem reluctant to rise. Water height and clarity are both good but obviously somthing is putting the fish off, could it be the sun and moon out together :). I have had a modicum of success fishing black spiders under shadowed, undercut banks as drowned black midge but thats only an odd fish that can be taken.

The Aire has been fishing better, though the fish are not easily fooled and soon 'catch on' if you pardon the pun to the idea that an artifical fly is not food and spells danger. Infact I have continued a downward plunge in hook sizes throughout an evening until I can hardly see to thread a 20, its getting ridiculous :) thoughtful and enguaging fishing though.

yorkshirelad15

On the Wharfe again yesterday. Stiff downstream breeze made casting a little tricky at times but coped with it. Quite a lot of yellow may duns about but the fish didn't really seem to have locked onto them yet. Got a few fish (plus an irritating number of 'long range releases') on a tan klink, best of which only went 10/11 inches, but enjoyable sport. Oh and I fell in after losing my footing whilst wading which wasn't so fun :rolleyes::eek:mg: but luckily my phone etc. were in my bag and survived! I seem to take dunkings at a rate of about one per season, so at least I got it out of the way early this year, and in nice warm weather :D:whistle:.

walney

Have to agreed about the Wharfe fishing strangely with the fish not freely rising inspite of the abundant hatches. My last two session produced a couple of fish with a few lost. The fish appeared to be taking insects a few inches below the surface. Fooled them on emerger patterns and spend spinner but flotillas of mayflies would drift by without a hint of a rise. Plenty of yellow mays coming off the other evening.

treetrouter

Same again today at Bolton Abbey. Lots of very small olives coming off (I think they might be iron blues?) and a few yellow mays. One or two splashy rises by the little fish in the margins, but I couldn't tempt anything to rise to a dry fly and I tried yellow klinks, cdc olive patterns, and black gnats. Had success with a weighted spider and bead head ptn though.

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
Have to agreed about the Wharfe fishing strangely with the fish not freely rising inspite of the abundant hatches. My last two session produced a couple of fish with a few lost. The fish appeared to be taking insects a few inches below the surface. Fooled them on emerger patterns and spend spinner but flotillas of mayflies would drift by without a hint of a rise. Plenty of yellow mays coming off the other evening.
Try fishing spiders:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

i had a ride out with the wife last Sunday to the Wharfe at Pool ,and this year seems to have more yellow mays about for definite,also some ephemera danica hatching off aswell Ephemera danica - Mayfly - an Illustrated Guide

riverat

Well me and my mate had a day on the Swale at Grinton on the first of June. Virtually nothing rising all day and only a couple or three fish seen moving. This is the first time we'd fished this water so don't know if this is usual or poor for this area. Both of us are experienced fly fishers and only one 5" trout between us felt dire to say the least! I know it was cold and low but on the Tees or other waters I'd have expected much better than this...We will try again - any tips or ideas?

andyrb

I think it can be a dour water at times. I fished it upstream of Grinton one day last year and despite trying a range of flies I couldn't interest any fish at all and then on the way home I stopped off at an unstocked stretch of the Ure and was into wild brownies straight away.

Latest posts