Yorkshire Waters

Calder Junky

Well me and my mate had a day on the Swale at Grinton on the first of June. Virtually nothing rising all day and only a couple or three fish seen moving. This is the first time we'd fished this water so don't know if this is usual or poor for this area. Both of us are experienced fly fishers and only one 5" trout between us felt dire to say the least! I know it was cold and low but on the Tees or other waters I'd have expected much better than this...We will try again - any tips or ideas?
Forget the place. The swill tanker turned up on Saturday and dumped it's annual toxic stockie slime all over the place and buggered it up for yet another year.:eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

You'll get 15 'fish' from every pool within a hundred yards of a bridge for the next month or so if that floats your boat. If not, the Ure or Tees sound a much better bet to me:D:D

Guest108

Pro Member
Well me and my mate had a day on the Swale at Grinton on the first of June. Virtually nothing rising all day and only a couple or three fish seen moving. This is the first time we'd fished this water so don't know if this is usual or poor for this area. Both of us are experienced fly fishers and only one 5" trout between us felt dire to say the least! I know it was cold and low but on the Tees or other waters I'd have expected much better than this...We will try again - any tips or ideas?
I fished up at Gunnerside on the Swale for 3x hours yesterday morning. Cold and the water very low...... played 12 to land 7 wild fish, best around 39cm. Hard fishing, found most in less than foot deep pockets. ( It was a competition with much of the water disturbed, making it tricky ).

Ps, they have stocked the bridges & possibly one or two pools further down, .

Fished Grinton only once last year, again, on it's bones but i did quite well fishing a very longer leader ( 20ft + )to flyline..... keeping at least 20/25 yds away from fish.

Last edited:

george387

I normally leave Grinton to the middle of July before wandering up and its best fished as the water is dropping after a rain, I take it you were on the Thornaby water? Drop me a PM and I will inform you of where to start/ stop if you want a decent day.

walney

Had a couple of hour on the Burley stretch of the Wharfe late afternoon yesterday. Steady hatches of mayflies, yellow mays and duns. Tried an Adams and yellow may but had instant success when I change to a may fly taking five fish in two hours. Lots of midges and a few sedges plus soldier beetles being blown onto the water.

walney

Had another short session at Burley yesterday with eight fish including a blue trout. This, I pesume, must be a stocked fish or escapee from upstream. I think they stock them at Fewston and Swinsty but it is a long way upstream form where the Washburn valley joins the Wharfe near Pool.

yorkshirelad15

Had another short session at Burley yesterday with eight fish including a blue trout. This, I pesume, must be a stocked fish or escapee from upstream. I think they stock them at Fewston and Swinsty but it is a long way upstream form where the Washburn valley joins the Wharfe near Pool.
There's a fish hatchery upstream near Burnsall I think so it could have been washed downstream from there? Still a long way for it to come mind...

Pritts Apprentice

The river Wharfe is now in 'Fine Fettle' - with the midges dispearing with this warm, dry wind, its very pleasent to be back on the river. Had a couple yesterday evening, both on the same cast, took the spiders on the top 2 droppers, fished upstream into the shadows.

Fish a bit tetchey from all the high water, although its falling and clearing the fish are making those rapid taps or pecking at a wet fly fished down and across. Its good fun though because if you can resist even the mildest of strikes (do not even lift the rod tip) and keep the line slack they will eventually take to the hook strongly enough to get them to hand :) There is alot more skill and practice needed to the downstream method than many experts would have you believe and its certainly not a boring method if you are keeping the fly/ lure fishing at all points on the drift.

Evening dry fly fishing is a bit non existent at the moment, which is a shame for June. But once levels settle and the tempreture stays consistently warm then perhaps things will change in favour of this method. The rises that I have observed are to the nymph and are without fuss and leisurely. Prompting me fish in relaxed and laid back manner; slow, measured, soft casts, plenty of slack in the drift and fished right out, so the fly hangs for nearly a minute directly downstream of the angler and repeat......:whistle:

treetrouter

The Wharfe was in prime condition today, but still no sign of much in the way of rising fish. Plenty taking the nymph though. I'd like to give a big vote of thanks to Mark the Bolton Abbey riverkeeper, who in his own time gave me a demo on short line nymphing today; all of a sudden it makes sense and I had 13 fish on - but had long distance release on 6 of them.

garyatwyffs

Stuart Minnikin and myself had a trip up to the Nidd today, found the river still running high and slightly coloured, turned out to be a decent day though, managed 47 fish between us, Stuart having the better day with 30 fish. Fished by the caravan park at Patley Bridge, Glasshouses and Darce, Glasshouses the best location, we had 30 fish from here. All the fish fell to nymphs, gold head GRHE's, Bead head PTN's and San Juan worms. The river started to rise agian early afternoon, possibly releasing some water from Gouthwaite. If we have no more rain for the next couple of days it should be spot on by Wed/Thurs.
Gary.

highbank

Stuart Minnikin and myself had a trip up to the Nidd today, found the river still running high and slightly coloured, turned out to be a decent day though, managed 47 fish between us, Stuart having the better day with 30 fish. Fished by the caravan park at Patley Bridge, Glasshouses and Darce, Glasshouses the best location, we had 30 fish from here. All the fish fell to nymphs, gold head GRHE's, Bead head PTN's and San Juan worms. The river started to rise agian early afternoon, possibly releasing some water from Gouthwaite. If we have no more rain for the next couple of days it should be spot on by Wed/Thurs.
Gary.
Good to see you on the Nidd today Gary, thanks for the worms:thumbs: After talking to Stuart in the car park I decided to go back upstream, finished the day with 20 fish. I dropped back in below the cafe late on but it had really coloured up by 5:30.
Tim.

mart_s

Stopped to look at my local stream on my way home from work still 6-8" of extra water in but pretty good clarity, probably would fish to nymphs

garyatwyffs

Hi Rob/Stuart
A San Juan worm, is a very simple fly to tie, its just a lenght of fine red vernille threaded through a gold head bead and then secured to the hook with gold thread so that the vernille protudes from the front and back of the hooks by around 2cm.
See the picture below, its tied with orange micro vernille, ideally it work best with slightly thicker red vernille.
Did you catch any on the worms Tim?

Gary.

Last edited:

highbank

Hi Rob/Stuart

Did you catch any on the worms Tim?

Gary.
Yes Gary, I think I had 5 on the worm when I went upstream, another 5 on a 3.5mm gold bead flashback that I had on the point. The worm looked superb dropping through the water:thumbs:

Guest108

Pro Member
The Skell also fished well, i popped out for an hour and a half after 6pm. Fished the trio ( as i havn't fished it for a while ), big stim. on top, orange hot head and a silver beaded ptn on the point.
They were 'avin it' :)... average 6 from each run with a few runs fished :eek::)

Last edited:

MickeyP Coolstreams

Fished the Holme yesterday evening, with water dropping off nicely and the colour dropping out, caught plenty trout on a San Juan and a Rubber legs.

Get out there and make the most of it before the next lot of rain!

MP

mart_s

A quick after work session today saw several trout and grayling come to hand on the dry :thumbs:

Last edited: