Yorkshire Waters

george387

Hi Rob/Stuart
A San Juan worm, is a very simple fly to tie, its just a lenght of fine red vernille threaded through a gold head bead and then secured to the hook with gold thread so that the vernille protudes from the front and back of the hooks by around 2cm.
See the picture below, its tied with orange micro vernille, ideally it work best with slightly thicker red vernille.
Did you catch any on the worms Tim?

Gary.
Gary,
Dont know if everyone has same problem so thought I would ask, after about 10 minutes of fishing the San Juan Worm I've found that all the chenille starts to fall off the string core of the chenille & the fly is useless so another is needed, is anyone else experiencing same problems or is there a solution?
regards
George

garyatwyffs

Hi George,
I use Veniard Easy Dub Micro Chenille, Veniard Ex Fine Vernille Suede Chenille, or Hareline Pearl Core Braid. The Pearl Core has a nice sparkle to it, you just need the burn the ends so it doesn't fray at the ends. The two Veniard products are very good and don't break down in the water or rub off when handled.
See the pic below of a worm tied using the Pearl Core.

Hope this helps,

Gary.

george387

Hi George,
I use Veniard Easy Dub Micro Chenille, Veniard Ex Fine Vernille Suede Chenille, or Hareline Pearl Core Braid. The Pearl Core has a nice sparkle to it, you just need the burn the ends so it doesn't fray at the ends. The two Veniard products are very good and don't break down in the water or rub off when handled.
See the pic below of a worm tied using the Pearl Core.

Hope this helps,

Gary.
Thanks Gary got something to look for now, and answered my question nicely.
I was just using normal chenille with the ends burned but they kept stripping off after a few casts.
regards
George

treetrouter

Hi all

I am arranging a Riverfly Partnership invertebrate sampling workshop so that the Aire Rivers Trust can participate in the Anglers Monitoring Initiative. The provisional date is Saturday 29 September, and the location will most likely be somewhere around Shipley. Our initial focus will be on Bradford Beck but we will hope to cover the whole of the river upstream of Shipley.

If anyone is interested in participating in the AMI scheme, please let Michael Canning at the ART know asap.

michael.canning@aireriverstrust.org

Pritts Apprentice

Fished the Wharfe at Bolton Abbey yesterday evening as expected the river is still running high but because its been up for so long there is not too much colour in it. Had some success catching fish in the mid water column, a brassie on the top dropper being the favoured fly. There are reports of fish being caught on heavier Czech nymphs but I did not experience any success with the fly fished close to the bottom. Its nice to see the river running higher than normal, even if it has curtailed the fishing somwhat, I think when a steady period of high pressure moves back in the fishing will be superb, here's hoping so anyway :)

garyatwyffs

On the Nidd today with a chap who bid for and won a days guided fishing on the river with me on the Wild Trout Trust auction. The river was running high and still coloured, this didn't affect the fishing, Richard had a good day, landing 12 fish, 3 of them being Richards 1 st Grayling. Lots of tugs and pulls and a few fish lost at long range. The San Juan Worm was the best fly again and the Glitter Nymph worked well also. Caught fish throughout the river.
Gary.

walney

Managed a couple of hours at Burley this evening. Cold and windy which made casting and line control difficult, but sedges and olives were coming of. On a flat section which offered some shelter I watched the olives and sedges drift by unmolestered but the trout were taking nymphs as they emerged a few inches below the surface. Put on a scrappy DHE degreased the leader moistened the fly with silva and took three fish. Had to cast to a feeding fish they could not be induced to rise. As I stood quietly waiting to spot and cover the next feeding fish one rose five feet from me and did not stop until I moved to cover a fish. Finally left due to cold hands, not what you expect in July.

Pritts Apprentice

Similar experience to Walney, fished the Wharfe yesterday evening, further up river at Bolton Abbey. River still too coloured for successful fishing, though at least there was bit less debris to foul the hook tonight and the water was falling very slowly. Noticed quite a number of BWO trapped in the foam slicks which have formed in the slack areas. Took one trout to a GRHE, the fish were high in the water taking nymphs as they neared the surface. Experienced quite a alot of pecking and tapping at the fly, fish are a bit tetchy with the changing water conditions. Cooler yes, but I welcome that as it seems to be keeping the midges away, that or my midge repllent is working :D

black and silver

Banned
Banned
Had a fantastic day on the Swale today, landed 8 Brownies biggest around 2 1/2 pound smallest around 4 inches long most looked like wild fish apart from the biggest which looked like a leopard trout and had a deformed pectoral fin, and another which was dye marked with a yellow spot on its belly.
Also had 8 Grayling, biggest would of being just over 2 pound smallest 6 inches long, the biggest one had a massive scar on it's side which had healed over but behind that was a round hole of half inch diameter going into it's body, poor thing.

Lost quite a few fish and had countless knocks, my best day on the Swale by far.

Does anyone know if the stocked trout on the swale are all dye marked.

black and silver

Banned
Banned
Nice day :thumbs:
depends which area you were fishing as I know some clubs do stock dye marked trout others dont.
Hi George without being to specific below Richmond falls, as far as i know my club don't stock any fish. 6 of the Trout were fin perfect and looked very much like wild fish.

lochbois

I swam in the Richmond falls many years ago now and i can tell you there are some big fish below the falls.
A friend had a face mask and told me to swim down between the rocks and see the fish.
It was summer and their was people jumping in all the time .
Must have been before 1983 because i had two eyes then;):).

mart_s

Just read on another forum that a salmon has been found washed up on the calder, how true it is I don't know but we've had plenty of spates lately for them to run on

umbra abus

Good to hear Gary, anyone else know about the Aire run of salmon?

Has anyone seen any salmon anglers in the Yorkshire Waters recently?

jamesw

Re: Swale above Richmond

I fished the stretch above Thorpe House last Saturday. I don't go there very often as I don't find it very productive and, true to form, I didn't see any sign of fish! Admittedly, the river was a bit higher than optimum level, but it does seem as though this stretch is pretty poor. As I left, I saw two chaps tackling up ready to have a go at the same stretch - if they are forum members, how did you get on?

What's the stretch like above Marske Bridge? I couldn't get to the lane that leads up to Low Oxque as the road was closed. Is that stretch worth a visit?

lochbois

When i was a schoolboy i saw my first Fly-fisherman fishing the Swale.
I still remember the time because we camped up above the Water fall.
We would have been on the north bank and we walked through woods and came to a large pool on a bend.
We would have been below the town i suppose.
Now i have got myself a little dog i should have a lok up there.
I caught my first two winter grayling below the road bridge down stream from the falls.
I was travelling by bus then and bought my ticket in the market place along with my maggots.
Now time seems to fly by and you dont have time to get a bus ect.
Was always told Maske Bridge was the place to fish on the Swale.
Is Maske Bridge on the Reeth Road?.

george387

Re: Swale above Richmond

I fished the stretch above Thorpe House last Saturday. I don't go there very often as I don't find it very productive and, true to form, I didn't see any sign of fish! Admittedly, the river was a bit higher than optimum level, but it does seem as though this stretch is pretty poor. As I left, I saw two chaps tackling up ready to have a go at the same stretch - if they are forum members, how did you get on?

What's the stretch like above Marske Bridge? I couldn't get to the lane that leads up to Low Oxque as the road was closed. Is that stretch worth a visit?
James its OK, your not alone about Thorpe House its always very hard fishing when I fish it too.:confused: most I've taken on a good day is 3 fish all below 1/2 lbs.
Above the Marske bridge, I tend to leave it till later on before heading up there as Reeth stock their sections in the season, so I like to wait till these fish have either been spread out or wont take everything you throw at them! The stocking has already took place as you've probably already read elsewhere on the forum :eek:mg: Im not a member of Reeth but my club also have water up there, needless to say we dont bother stocking....lol.
The road will remain closed for a while yet as they are sorting out the subsidence just up from the bridge.