Yorkshire Waters

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
Re: Swale above Richmond

Above the Marske bridge, I tend to leave it till later on before heading up there as Reeth stock their sections in the season, so I like to wait till these fish have either been spread out or wont take everything you throw at them! The stocking has already took place as you've probably already read elsewhere on the forum :eek:mg: Im not a member of Reeth but my club also have water up there, needless to say we dont bother stocking....lol.
The road will remain closed for a while yet as they are sorting out the subsidence just up from the bridge.

George hope they didnt stock it just before the rivers qualifier:whistle::whistle::whistle::eek:mg::eek:mg::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

jamesw

Another question about the Swale. I keep a record of my fishing trips and for my 'home water', which is above Catterick Bridge and not a long stretch, a 6 years ago I would average about 5 or 6 fish per visit. The best was 11. Last year, the average was 3 and this year (admittedly poor conditions much of the time), average is less than 2 and catching anything is a success!

Year on year, the fish stocks seem to decline. Is this a particular problem on the Swale, or in this particular location, or is it a general one? It's a worry that soon there will be no fishing left!

george387

Re: Swale above Richmond

George hope they didnt stock it just before the rivers qualifier:whistle::whistle::whistle::eek:mg::eek:mg::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Now who would have done such a thing like that Bruce :eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg::D:D:D

Another question about the Swale. I keep a record of my fishing trips and for my 'home water', which is above Catterick Bridge and not a long stretch, a 6 years ago I would average about 5 or 6 fish per visit. The best was 11. Last year, the average was 3 and this year (admittedly poor conditions much of the time), average is less than 2 and catching anything is a success!

Year on year, the fish stocks seem to decline. Is this a particular problem on the Swale, or in this particular location, or is it a general one? It's a worry that soon there will be no fishing left!
James I have to agree with you its declining, my home water as such is just above catterick bridge also and last year I caught 6 people on a sunday when the market was on fishing it with spinners without permits, twice they had fish on the bank, chapped.
I fish the stretch as much as I can & make a presence there but to be honest its getting poached and it will become even worse when the new footbridge is completed :(

Last edited:

black and silver

Banned
Banned

One pool that i fished the other day had what must of being 8-10 goosanders in it, they ain't there for the beautiful scenery and it wouldn't take these birds long to empty a pool.

john10001

One pool that i fished the other day had what must of being 8-10 goosanders in it, they ain't there for the beautiful scenery and it wouldn't take these birds long to empty a pool.
Don' forget about Cormorant Watch guys! I don't think this is just for Cormorants is it? It can't do any harm to report everything you see that may result in decline of our fishing.

mart_s

A fine afternoon getting bitten to **** by mozzies on a little stream saw me land 27 fin perfect brownies

Biggest of the day

One from a tight pool

Missed a few and long distance released a few as well.

A nice day to be out though

walney

Fished the Wharfe at Burley for a few hours this evening. Very windy when I arrived and no hatch worth speaking of. Later the wind dropped and took a fish to a CDC emerger. At about 9.15 a heavy sedge hatch commenced, they were crawling all over me and the fish were taking then under the surface in gentle sips. Managed three further fish with the CDC emerger but I saturated it so it fished a few inches below the surface. Left the river at 10 by which time I was fishing more by sound than sight. An absording session.

Pritts Apprentice

Fished the Wharfe at Addingham yesterday evening on the BCAA stretch - to sum up, extremely poor as usual. Took a small 3" trout on a spider and dropped one of a similar size. In contrast on Sunday on the BA stretch had 5 trout and a grayling all falling to Partridge and Orange and Dark Spainish needle (again orange in colour) - fish were in the upper layers taking what I think were emerging BWO nymphs - just a guess but I was finding BWO Duns stuck in the foam slicks at the edge of the river. The fish would not look at a dark fly e.g. dark snipe and purple or black spider. River is still higher than normal than the previous two years at this time in July - but at least its clear and not on its bones. Just wish there was more fly life around in the evening - saw a handful sedge over the water but not alot else. I didn't stay as late as Walney so perhaps should fish more in to dusk but I am afraid by 8:45 pm my belly is rumbling more than the fishes and I like to be home in front of the telly with a cuppa tea and a chocolate doughnut :D

Must add I met on the water a rather well dressed, very polite gentlemen fisherman yesterday evening - Not often you see a fisherman in collar and tie but good to see satorial standards are not slipping and the English gent is still well turned out even for recreational pursuits.

Last edited:

jamesw

Must add I met on the water a rather well dressed, very polite gentlemen fisherman yesterday evening - Not often you see a fisherman in collar and tie but good to see satorial standards are not slipping and the English gent is still well turned out even for recreational pursuits.
Bob Diamond trying out a new retiremnt hobby? ;)

black and silver

Banned
Banned
Well was back on the Swale yesterday, different section of river.
River still at a nice height, just a slight peat tinge which i like.
Fished a single gold head nymph as it was blowing a strong down stream wind.
Managed 6 Brownies smallest 1 pound biggest 1 1/2 pound one fish was definatly a stocky blue dye mark on gill cover the rest were unmarked, i suspect the rest were despite being unmarked.
One of the fish had a bad wound on its flank from some sort of predator.

It was a strange session, the bottom of this beat where i normally pick up the odd fish i never even had any knocks, only saw 2 fish rises while i was there too.

Never seen so many bright blue dragon flies or damsel flies (whatever they are).

And boy it was blooming hot.

george387

Had an afternoon on the Ure and it turned out to be the best day of the season so far with 24 trout all on dry fly. :thumbs:

A lot of the fish were covered in what I think were Lice, I've stuck the pictures up in Entomology if anyone can help out.

See my blog for the full report:
The Flee & Float

garyatwyffs

On the Colne around Huddersfield town center today with 2 anglers, Keith and Dave (fellow forumite lankylad). A decent day considering that the river had coloured up alot overnight due the rain we had last night. Dave had a good day, landing 13 fish and releasing a few at long range, Keith had 5. Most of the fish fell to Flash Back Gold Head GRHE's, Dave had a couple on a ribbed klinkhammer.

A couple of pictures from the day.

Keith landing a Grayling

Dave flicking a pair of nymph's out into a nice looking water

Keith playing one of his better fish

Dave fishing the duo in some likely looking water

Pritts Apprentice

Fished the Aire yesterday evening - river height still holding well and with little colour. Finished the session with 3 trout to the partridge and orange spider and a grayling to the Grey duster. Activity increased about 8:45 pm with more sedge on the water but it was interesting to note that trout took sub surface, whilst the Grayling were all going for the sedge, midge and spinners which were dipping down on to the water surface - even though the fish were sharing the same swim. It got quite cool in the evening, with a downstream wind but it didn't seem to put them off feeding - moon is nearly full also. Fishing a soft and very bendy, 8ft fibreglass rod, 6# weight line and Light weight Rim Fly reel is fun when the Trout approach the 2lb marker in a swift current :)

walney

Decided to fish the Wharfe at Pool for a few hours today. River had a nice colour due to last nights rain but still good fishable height.

Fished above the bridge just above the island and took a couple of graylng and a dace before moving to fish below the bridge just in front of the riffle about 100 yards downstream. Fish were rising, the delicate dimpled rises were dace and the big rises were grayling, each fish keeping to distinct types of water, the dace in in shallower faster water and the grayling in the deep runs.

I stood in the middle of the river and to my left every fish was a grayling and to my right a dace. The dace takes were lightening quick and it took me some time to get the strike right. Started with a grey duster and a CDC emerger, both size 18 before the ever reliable DHE which proved the most popular. Took 20 plus fish. Very enjoyable but the dace were fussy and everything needed to be right, degreased leader, delicate cast and a lightening strike. Not one trout but all fish are fun on the fly.

Last edited:

im a wombat

hi all,
looking for some help with regards a rod and line setup for fishing spiders on the aire round esholt, shipley, bingey area???
would a 9ft 5weight be ok with say a dt matching line or would something longer and lighter be better???
any advice on what patterns to use this time of year? at the moment it seems to be all midges and very small sedges coming off the water. is there patterns to match these? i have been informed that hares lug and plover is good for sedges?????? is this correct:confused:
also ,can you fish spiders singular or must they be fished in teams of three?
and lastly leader setup ie length,breaking strain,flouro or mono...what do you use???
any help would be very much appreciated

kindest regards dave.g.

yorkshirelad15

Headed out on the Wharfe with the fly this morning for the first time since June, and would you believe it, fate decided to deal me a big old kick in the danglies! The river had been in decent fettle saturday evening, but evidently there was a proper downpour up the dale overnight as it was ripping through and carrying a lot of colour at 8:00am.
Fished the slacks and eddies hard with heavy nymphs but it proved futile, so I moved up a small side stream in the hope some fish would be sheltering there. Managed two small brownies (one on a Mary Copperhead and another on a tan klink) before it started bouncing it down again along with some serious thunder and lightning which encouraged me to make a dash for it. Hard work but at least I wasn't watterlicked :rolleyes::D.
.. Oh, and I got home to find the cellar flooded with 3 feet of drain water - don't you love summer!

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
Headed out on the Wharfe with the fly this morning for the first time since June, and would you believe it, fate decided to deal me a big old kick in the danglies! The river had been in decent fettle saturday evening, but evidently there was a proper downpour up the dale overnight as it was ripping through and carrying a lot of colour at 8:00am.
Fished the slacks and eddies hard with heavy nymphs but it proved futile, so I moved up a small side stream in the hope some fish would be sheltering there. Managed two small brownies (one on a Mary Copperhead and another on a tan klink) before it started bouncing it down again along with some serious thunder and lightning which encouraged me to make a dash for it. Hard work but at least I wasn't watterlicked :rolleyes::D.
.. Oh, and I got home to find the cellar flooded with 3 feet of drain water - don't you love summer!

avoid the fate :eek:mg::eek:mg:

Environment Agency - River Levels: North East, Yorkshire