Yorkshure burns

jaybeegee

The Falcon Inn at Arncliffe in Littondale has some good brown trout fishing on the Skirfare and Cowside Beck set in beautiful limestone scenery. Bolton Abbey fishery is only half an hour away and Kinsey Angling Club water is even closer. Oh, and in Yorkshire we don’t have burns....they are called becks! 😉

B

Paul_B

There quite a few nice places in the dales, below are a couple of pubs we use as they serve good beers. however I've never stayed in them, the last link is a cottage we stay at thats next to the Asgarth falls hotel, this hotel has both good beers and food, an easy walk to the river but its a very steep walk back after fishing 😰
http://www.thecoverbridgeinn.co.uk/

Paul_B

Just had a thought, the Rose and Crown in Bainbridge is close two rivers, its worth saying these rivers are small, not as small as the becks but better for fishing, our becks are usually in the region of about six foot wide.

3lbgrayling

There quite a few nice places in the dales, below are a couple of pubs we use as they serve good beers. however I've never stayed in them, the last link is a cottage we stay at thats next to the Asgarth falls hotel, this hotel has both good beers and food, an easy walk to the river but its a very steep walk back after fishing 😰
http://www.thecoverbridgeinn.co.uk/

Is that a change of name for the hotel,all the times I stayed at the campsite it was called ''the Palmer Flats hotel''?

Jim

Paul_B

Is that a change of name for the hotel,all the times I stayed at the campsite it was called ''the Palmer Flats hotel''?

Jim

Yes Jim it is, I preferred the old name of Palmer Flatts but times change and so has the camp site, we've stopped on that quite a few times but we now like the one up the road better,

Paul_B

Personally and I appreciate its not what the OP asked, but a car is going to be a must, so I would stay somewhere like Hawes where there's more to do and buy day tickets to fish.
I've fished the river Cover with day tickets bought at the Coverbridge inn (good car park) but we usually stay up the road in Middleham across from the castle, we always just missed King Richard the 3rd by a few hundred years, but the hotel named after him does good food and beers.

Yorkshire is large but fishing wise I prefer the Dales :)

tuc member

Southwestern Quebec, Canada near the New York stat
The Falcon Inn at Arncliffe in Littondale has some good brown trout fishing on the Skirfare and Cowside Beck set in beautiful limestone scenery. Bolton Abbey fishery is only half an hour away and Kinsey Angling Club water is even closer. Oh, and in Yorkshire we don’t have burns....they are called becks! 😉

B
Thank you.

Hardrar

I would second the Falcon- this was the original “Woolpack” Inn when Emmerdale was first filmed before they moved to Esholt then later to Harewood and a permanent outdoor set. It would be a good base to explore from, but not a lot to do in the village. Grassington or Kettlewell both have good accommodation also over that side.
I live over the East side on the edge of the NY Moors. If you want beck fishing, there’s more of that in the NYM area. The upper Tees is good as is the upper Derwent and Scalby beck. A bit further South is Driffield Beck and there is a 1 mile stretch of double bank chalk stream day ticket here , with cottage accommodation on site. You need to book well in advance as it’s a four rod limit.
There are also good local still waters.
I had my best mornings fly fishing in the early 80s on Driffield Beck when it was all syndicate water. 83 Brown Trout and 43 Grayling in 4 hours on the large olives that Hatch there- big as a Mayfly, there is no Mayfly hatch though.

not sure if this is now a syndicated water again though.
Details here of other local becks

Last edited:

matt808

Burns?!
Dales best bet for day tickets. Scalby beck and Danby on the Esk are the only places I know of around the moors.

Good news is there's loads of day ticket rivers in the Dales, take your pick.
As mentioned further afield the Tees would be another option.

Paul_B

There’s a few ticket sections on the Derwent and Barton beck, Danby beck and the Esk.
There’s a free section on the Seven at Sinnington also and the section below is reasonable for a season.
Sinnington village after a spot of lunch at the Fox n Hounds, happy days

1359729794512.jpg