You never know until you try!!

roger h 10

Inspired by Iain Mortimer and Aussie 12013 who sent me some of the most amazing small flies that I have ever seen when I bought some fly boxes from him a few weeks ago I thought that I would like to try my hand at tying some very small flies and here are some of the results.
I was amazed at the lack of difficulty in tying something so small the main thing that I found was that you do need to prepare everything beforehand and to make sure that your tools are up to the job.
I used Gamakatsu C12-BM hooks in sizes #26-30 (available from Deer Creek) and Maruto D24 BL and DO4 HWW in the larger sizes down to #24.(available from Troutline)

The materials I used were Uni Trico and Caenis thread or Semperfli Nano Silk 18/0. Hackles came from Genetic Cock Cape tops which I bought from Funky fly tying and Fly tying boutique. I also treated myself to C&F Micro hackle pliers,they are brilliant if a tad expensive.

Having tied a few I then wondered what tippet I could use as most of the waters that I fish have a minimum 6lb breaking strain rule. Luckily I had some Soldarini Fluorocarbon to hand and the 6.5 lb Breaking strain went through the eye of a #30 with no problem. Now all I need is to try them!

Attachments

Wee Jimmy

Blimey....while the tying principles are the much the same for a size 10 or a size 30, the dexterity levels required are a whole different level. The smallest flies I ever attempted were aphids on size 20 bucknalls.That was years ago, I would struggle to tie them now.

roger h 10

Blimey....while the tying principles are the much the same for a size 10 or a size 30, the dexterity levels required are a whole different level. The smallest flies I ever attempted were aphids on size 20 bucknalls.That was years ago, I would struggle to tie them now.
That's what I thought as I am 73 next week and have a problem with my right eye which forced me to give up my other love, shooting, several years ago. I hope that my experience inspires others to 'have a go'.

arkle

Insired, well sort of, but the time factor + a few other things. My left eye had a cataract done a few years ago & imo it wasn't the success I was hoping for. They've tried a couple of time to "clean it up" with laser. but it doesn't or rather didn't work.

So I no longer drive as my peripheral vision in that eye means might miss someone stepping off a curb. Anyway, back in the 89/& 90's & maybe a bit beyond, when Partrige #28's were the smallest eyed hooks, available I used to dress double split winged toyal coachman & various parachutes on them at demo's etc. Not sure if I could do that now though

roger h 10

Insired, well sort of, but the time factor + a few other things. My left eye had a cataract done a few years ago & imo it wasn't the success I was hoping for. They've tried a couple of time to "clean it up" with laser. but it doesn't or rather didn't work.

So I no longer drive as my peripheral vision in that eye means might miss someone stepping off a curb. Anyway, back in the 89/& 90's & maybe a bit beyond, when Partrige #28's were the smallest eyed hooks, available I used to dress double split winged toyal coachman & various parachutes on them at demo's etc. Not sure if I could do that now though
I would have liked to have seen that!(y)

roger h 10

Those are great but tying them on by the bank o_O Top tip, You might find it really beneficial to pre-tie them to 12-18" of tippet with a loop on the end. That way when its time to use them you only have to loop to loop the tippet and you're away ;)
That's what I've done Iain. Tying them on to the tippet was harder than tying the actual fly. I'm going to use them with a furled leader, tying them on the bank is definitely a big no no.

vandiemen

Well ... I can't brag about ailments like some of the above, but you have inspired me to go even smaller than my size 20 limit.
So extra small hooks en route and a midge hackle pliers to boot.
I just hope my 70+ year old eyes are up to it.

roger h 10

Well ... I can't brag about ailments like some of the above, but you have inspired me to go even smaller than my size 20 limit.
So extra small hooks en route and a midge hackle pliers to boot.
I just hope my 70+ year old eyes are up to it.
Let us know how you get on. If you want an excellent book on the subject I can reccomend 'Tying Small Flies' by Ed Engle.

Wee Jimmy

Those are great but tying them on by the bank o_O Top tip, You might find it really beneficial to pre-tie them to 12-18" of tippet with a loop on the end. That way when its time to use them you only have to loop to loop the tippet and you're away ;)
God no Iain....I’m too pernickety to have loops that close to the fly.Would a needle threader not do the job..?

iainmortimer

God no Iain....I’m too pernickety to have loops that close to the fly.Would a needle threader not do the job..?
I often only have 18” of tippet when using a dry fly with a loop or micro ring and it doesn’t bother me. The problem with these micro flies is not just seeing the eye, it’s also gripping the thing in a way that I could get something through the eye without dropping it!

vandiemen

Let us know how you get on. If you want an excellent book on the subject I can recommend 'Tying Small Flies' by Ed Engle.
Thanks Roger H 10 ... I did think about tying smaller flies a few years ago, and bought two Ed Engle books, Tying Small Flies and Fishing Small Flies. After an initial quick glance, they joined others books on the shelf. However, that will change now.

icejohn

Wow truely astounding. So small. I wander if the fish can see them jok.

Please let us know if you catch on them. I always wandered what tippet to use and asked some guys. They go for one pound micro tippet the carp guys use.

I personally think 6 lb is too heavy for these kind of flies.

roger h 10

Wow truely astounding. So small. I wander if the fish can see them jok.

Please let us know if you catch on them. I always wandered what tippet to use and asked some guys. They go for one pound micro tippet the carp guys use.

I personally think 6 lb is too heavy for these kind of flies.
6lb is definitely too heavy, even though it will go through the eye it just doesn't look right. It's the commercial fisheries that make this rule as there are a lot of inexperienced people that fish them and would get broken if they didn't have this rule in place.

I do use a threader and have been looking at the C&F box,thanks for the reccommendation I'll order one toay

Latest posts