Your opinions on this?

sean freeman

The Lathkill is a stunning river for sight fishing brownies but as a river it’s been manipulated by humans a hell of a lot, Philip White the ex keeper said it’s pretty much entirely artificial in spite of all the fish being wild.

I’ve had some crackers from there though. The biggest below at 2.75lbs. The same fish was caught during the mayfly this year at over 3lbs.

F9154525-F173-424E-B0BC-180F4EEAC73A.jpeg

And a couple more..
6137EBC9-4BC7-4CF1-99CE-74FC0406F474.jpeg

EA9C9352-A12B-45D7-9267-49087D41245F.jpeg

kerryjordan

The Manifold must be one of the contenders; sadly the bar is pretty low given how pretty much every river in England has been subject to dredging, straightening, widening, obstruction, culverting, pollution, abstraction and more.

Mr Notherone

I like Andy's work Steven. He's a good angler and makes a lot of sense in his approach and explanations. I've not fished the Lathkill - one day perhaps.

jaybeegee

Im just interested what you think.
S.
There’s no doubt it’s a lovely river. Personally I didn’t see any advantage of such a long rod in that situation, but he caught some nice fish and his careful approach was great….my old knees would suffer, but he’s nobbut a lad. 🙂
B

mebu

Good comments on the need for stealth, but not sure why such a long rod.
Subtitles or a translator would be handy for his introduction, rather garbling.

Would love to fish that river.

Mrtrout

Ok, thanks for comments my reason for asking was this.
Firstly I find his videos a bit tiresome, he talks in a manic way that makes me just want to fast forward, I appreciate his excitement when he hooks a fish, but you’d think he had something very special on.
He states that it was his biggest fish ever from the Lathkill, I don’t think any of those three fish were much over a pound, nice but not special.?
I fished the Lathkill about ten years ago, it was very unnatural to my eye, man made steps into pools, mown banks etc.
I went to the Charles Cotton hotel for a couple of nights and fished the passport beats on the Dove and the Mannifold, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement.
The keeper in charge of these beats came to see us one night in the bar, and refunded our costs of the tickets and apologised.
The rivers/ streams were canal like no nice fast water, it was very murky looking and smelled not nice.
On the third day we fished the Lathkill which although it was a slight improvement to the previous days was very lacklustre to me anyway.
Going back to Mr Buckley I think he fails to come across well on video, you can’t deny his enthusiasm though.
As for the finest trout river in the UK, I wouldn’t swap you for any of our northern rivers/streams where nature rules the trout run wild and you can catch anything from a 4” fish to a 5lb one.
Just my feelings, sorry if you don’t agree, not intended to upset anyone.
S.

jaybeegee

Firstly I find his videos a bit tiresome, he talks in a manic way that makes me just want to fast forward, I appreciate his excitement when he hooks a fish, but you’d think he had something very special on.
He states that it was his biggest fish ever from the Lathkill, I don’t think any of those three fish were much over a pound, nice but not special.?
I fished the Lathkill about ten years ago, it was very unnatural to my eye, man made steps into pools, mown banks etc.
I went to the Charles Cotton hotel for a couple of nights and fished the passport beats on the Dove and the Mannifold, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement.
The keeper in charge of these beats came to see us one night in the bar, and refunded our costs of the tickets and apologised.
The rivers/ streams were canal like no nice fast water, it was very murky looking and smelled not nice.
On the third day we fished the Lathkill which although it was a slight improvement to the previous days was very lacklustre to me anyway.
Going back to Mr Buckley I think he fails to come across well on video, you can’t deny his enthusiasm though.
As for the finest trout river in the UK, I wouldn’t swap you for any of our northern rivers/streams where nature rules the trout run wild and you can catch anything from a 4” fish to a 5lb one.
S.
Nice one S…I was trying to be restrained. 😁
B

ohanzee

S.

I somehow missed the 'finest trout river in the UK' bit, I know plenty rivers no one bothers with better fish, you would have to hack your way into them this time of year though, it does have that slow southern gentility you get in fertile England though, envy that a bit but I'd much rather find a stretch or a river no one else has fished, explore, find and own the secret sort of thing.

Agree about him, he is passionate but he sounds like he wants to sound like a Youtube reviewer.

Gdog

I've never fished on a river like that, I'm used to rocks, briars and gorse.
Not for me, that guy is a motormouth, I watched a few minutes, that was enough 😨

Latest posts