Zhus fly rod split cane

graylinghunter

Today I took delivery a beautifully crafted cane Zhus 6'6", 2-piece, 2-tip rod, #3 weight line.fly Rod.

Having built several modern fly rods for projects on my own forum, I was apprehensive prior to my purchase about the qualities of split cane, as I imagined split most spit cane rod to be a step backwards from modern fibre/carbon based rods I was wrong!
The finish on the Zhus rods is amazing. The wraps are perfect and the Finnish on the rod blank is almost synthetic in appearance it is that well crafted. It comes with a wooden reel seat which is equity well made. I paid a mere £92 for what is a amazing artisan product of the finest detail.
The action of the rod is full which may be alien to many new to the scene. It an easy forgiving motion and launched my 3wt line with both finesse and accuracy. I have absolutely no grumbles with this purchase and can highly recommend them. If you are looking for a beautiful tool that is both practical and a pleasure to fish with this is it.
Product as follows....

319731_10150968439463442_195941159_n.jpg

A handsome 6'6", 2-piece, 2-tip rod, designed for use with a #3 weight line. This rod is built for medium-fast action.
Beautiful blonde cane with red silk wraps and black tippings.
Machined nickel silver ferrules are welted and provide a perfect fit that "pops" when separated.
The truncated nickle silver cap and ring reel seat is mounted on a premium Longan insert with a western style, reverse half wells, cork grip.
We insure there are NO glue lines. The rod is handsomely finished with three separate coats of the finest spar varnish.
Each rod is wrapped in a soft cloth sock and a simple pvc tube is provided for protection in shipping.

From the land of the legendary Tonkin Cane comes Zhus Rods. Since 1996, Zhus Rods has been building quality bamboo fly rods in the traditional hexogonal, 6-strip style attributed to, and developed by H.L. Leonard and other legendary rod makers such as Garrison, Payne and Cattanach. Each culm of Tonkin Cane is personally inspected and hand-selected so that only the highest quality bamboo goes into making a Zhu's Rod. Each Zhu

Last edited:

Mrtrout

Couldn't agree more Phil, I have the 7.6ft #4 Zhu, with two tips, and it's delightful.
VERY well made, casts well, a joy to fish with and for £120 delivered, you really do wonder how they can do it.
Last year I fished with a 6.6ft #3 like yours and that was superb also.
Hope you christen it soon, my first fish on mine was a 1.5lb Eden wildie, it fought like hell, and the rod handled it with aplomb.
S.

Mostyn

For the money you pay for ZHU products they're excellent.

beryl

Do you have the same possibility of import tax etc buying direct from China?

graylinghunter

Couldn't agree more Phil, I have the 7.6ft #4 Zhu, with two tips, and it's delightful.
VERY well made, casts well, a joy to fish with and for £120 delivered, you really do wonder how they can do it.
Last year I fished with a 6.6ft #3 like yours and that was superb also.
Hope you christen it soon, my first fish on mine was a 1.5lb Eden wildie, it fought like hell, and the rod handled it with aplomb.
S.

457820_10150979298948442_929211300_o.jpg
:thumbs:
471731_10150979299178442_57966687_o.jpg

Last edited:

fredaevans

For the money you pay for ZHU products they're excellent.

Had I known then what I know now .....:mad: Here in the PNW we have a company called "Headwaters Bamboo Rod company." Same rods .... at well over TWICE what the thread started paid for his.

That said, a delight for the small streams that join up to form the Rogue River.

:mad:

welshflyfisher

I have the 7ft 4# and absolutely love it. after reading a few comments on this thread i thought i would have a few casts just for practice on the local field. Think i will take it out on the weekend on the local stream.

here is one which i caught on my first outing :thumbs::D
DSCF70402.jpg

Last edited:

Spider

Cane is miles better than hard core graphite fans would ever admit. I find the smaller the fly, the better they work.

Racha

Got my 6'6" 3wt the other day and have to agree completely with the original review. It is a mistery to me as I am pretty sure to anyone else who owns one of these how do they do it at such prices? If I was to be picky though I would have like to see agate stripper guide instead of all metal one, keeper ring and maybe no filler in the cork grip. But than again I would have probably have to pay more than just over £120 (delivered) for the pleasure. All in all highly recommended to anyone who is toying with the idea of the cane rods but is not prepared to brake the bank for the custom built one.

Last edited:

brian

I purchased a 7' 6"5# Zhus split cane rod recently an
d upon its arrival was well impressed
with the quality and finish for the price (just over £90 including postage) only had the oppurtunity to use it once so far .I used for a day on the eden just before the end of the trout season , the rod casts like a dream ,well impressed I would reccomend zhus rods to anyone.
Brian

Carlos

People still using these and enjoying them?

Not that I need another #4, I have 7', two 8' and 10'. But, well, I don't have a bamboo one and I am not so keen on the Superfine 8' #4, it is the only Superfine I have ever not enjoyed.

Uncas

This post deserves to be on the Split cane & glass section.
I enjoyed the write up well done.

Latest posts