Shooting Rats;

pvthubbard

Peanut butter on a stick works well, 8" stick thrust into the jar then work on a good dollop, push stick into ground a bit, it makes the rats work a bit for their last meal and makes them vulnerable, gets their heads up a bit. Cheers
This is how I used to get my nighttime munchies of roasted mouse/rat when I worked in Zimbabwe, Little old lady used to sit in the maize field for hours catching them by whacking them with sugar cane, then squeeze guts out and roast with a little salt, quite tasty washed down with a Bohlinger🐭

petevicar

We had a problem when a family of rats decided to move into a couple of compost beds that we had. At the time we had a croquet set for the kids to play with.
My wife discovered that if you put a piece of black plastic sheeting on top of the copost heap the rats will come up to the top and move about.
She had some sport by bashing the movement beneath the plastic sheet with a croquet mallet. Her record was 10 rats in one afternoon.

She is not totally cruel though. She would catch moles in the lawn and let them go in the woods that were not to far away from the house.

lee71

Only use 177 as am too lazy to "drop compensate", just means you have to be accurate. I find Accupells are the best general pellet, but use flatheads or hollow points if I do not want "over penetration". I'm sure there will be "discussion" on the merits of all 4 !!!!!
Me too, I have an ultra se and a hw97, just been reviving an old airsporter as well.

haggstock

I trap them but I can shoot far more by sitting under the walnut tree every now and then, usually at least a dozen a day without spending a lot of time,
I took 3 out of traps in boxes on the trees above the pheasant feeders on Wednesday , they were frighteningly big and muscular , I wouldn’t want to meet them on a dark night if I was carrying anything other than a .357 magnum 😀

4wings

In .22 or my favoured .177, Hobby pellets or Superdomes are very accurate from most air rifles (there are always exceptions) For a close up and personal shot I have even put a pellet in skirt first!

corto maltese

This is a very interesting thread for me.
Ive got chickens and now I have rats. I've tried the poison thing but as the chickens are free range there is a risk so I'm looking at a rifle for pest control but the wife hates rifles more than she hates rats, and she really, really doesn't like rats ! 🙄.
I'm going the rifle route discreetly though and I'm looking at the Chiappa little badger .22, it's affordable, discreet and hopefully will get the job done.
Before I hit the button I was wondering what your thoughts were on this rifle.
Thanks.

corto maltese

I'm not sure and to be honest, haven't looked into it. It's difficult as I'm not a French national, but, I do have a sympathetic friend !
Where Thiers a will, Thiers a way !
I wouldn't dream of doing it like this in the UK, I did everything by the book but here it's a lot more complex officially and a lot more laid back in small villages in the arse end of provence, think Latino/Mediterranean kind of way of doing things !
What is your opinion on the rifle though ?

glueman

Corto I do not know the rifle, I had a semi auto carbine in .22 The only problem I found was ricochet the round is a very dangerous round in my mind having a 2 mile range

4wings

Air guns only I'm afraid. I used to shoot on a chicken farm and the owner had a .22 live round BSA.
He asked me to shoot a nail in the door of a shed, it was safe so I shot and hit the nail head.
Despite my protests he took the same shot with his Live round BSA and put a hole in the door and through the back of the shed! paint began to run out under the door and he cleared off very rapidly.
A long winded way of saying stick with air guns (UK limit 12ft/lb rifles 6 ft/lb pistols)
There are CO2 "ratters" as well as bottle fed pneumatics and the good old spring powered guns.

lee71

Corto I do not know the rifle, I had a semi auto carbine in .22 The only problem I found was ricochet the round is a very dangerous round in my mind having a 2 mile range
If it had that kind of velocity I'd have thought it would be centrfire rather than rim fire.👍