Understanding Buzzers

mackiia1

Very good. You give a brief mention to traditional flies, such as Black Pennel. I'm sure there's a host of other traditional wet flies worthy of mention, many of which are still killer flies today. Blae and Black and Diawl Bach spring to mind. I probably catch more on Diawl Bachs than modern buzzer patterns.
Years ago ,a small Peter Ross was a fly used by some on Corrib at Duckfly time .

smallmouth

Nice one tangled, a very interesting post and subsequent thread.

I spent some time sat at the vice during lockdown, trying to imitate this.......

buzzer pupae.jpg

.....which I think I saw first on here? and then on a facebook group accompanied by a video.

So far my efforts look too much like #14 striped candy canes for my liking, though I did catch a fair lump of a rainbow just on one presented just sub surface the other week.

I'd never heard of the Chromie until you started this thread.

Cheers

Elwyman

Found out another good reference to the original Diawl Bach, I suspect it was originally tied slightly earlier than the 1950s, but it's certainly not as old as the traditional flies we often refer to.

From a 2009 article:
Another fly-tier of note was Thomas Thomas, or Twm Twm to all his acquaintances, who over half-a-century or more ago lived between Llangurug and Cwm Ystwyth.
He was an incredible fisher and conjured up great flies. His hallmark was the red head he gave to many of his flies. He was the one who devised flies like Teifi Pools Sedge, Rhwyfwr Coch, Diawl Bach, Potsiwr, Twm Twm and Pluen Biws

iainmortimer

This is a very good article and covers off the various fishing methods and fly styles used without being difficult to understand or being ambiguous. An excellent bit of work as far as I’m concerned.

bignedkelly

I have heard it numerous times on Corrib - The Duckfly swarming over the Islands look like smoke - from a distance . Get close enough and you will hear the smoke 'Buzzing' .View attachment 30331View attachment 30332
Used to see this on Loch Leven
You would see what looked like a big dark tornado shapes above castle island then it would disappear and a minute later there would be buzzers everywhere.

Latest posts