Maxcatch

Vintage Badger

These shootouts are good and confirm that paying more for a rod doesn't necessarily give you a better rod. I believe the Fenwick Aetos is the same as the old Greys XF2? However, they are comparing a very cheap Maxcatch starter rod with very much more expensive rods. It would be interesting to compare a Maxcatch rod closer in price but still much cheaper, such as the Professional range.
From what I understood from both those shootouts, they appeared to indicate that if you want accuracy at the sort of range you'd often be casting a rod of that length, then you're probably better off looking elsewhere and paying a bit more money (perhaps buying a second hand rod if on a tight budget). It's OK saying a certain rod cast a good distance, but as we know, casting to the horizon each time is not all it's about.

It's easy to lose sight of factors like this if something appears ridiculously cheap, but is it really 'great value for money' if it's not particularly accurate? Also, what's the feel like when playing a fish? This aspect is often completely overlooked in rod tests and comparisons, but an important part of the overall experience of using a fishing rod.

I'd agree that a 'shootout' against budget priced rods from well known manufacturers would probably be more useful than one against mid to upper price range rods (where, depending on the skills of the caster, a difference may be more pronounced). Also, making sure each test rod is matched to both a floating and sinking line that suits it, so as to get the best out of each one.

Rhithrogena

It's easy to lose sight of factors like this if something appears ridiculously cheap, but is it really 'great value for money' if it's not particularly accurate? Also, what's the feel like when playing a fish? This aspect is often completely overlooked in rod tests and comparisons, but an important part of the overall experience of using a fishing rod.
I can only speak for the M/c Extreme 8'6" #4. It is very accurate at close to mid-range and ok at longer range, it casts a long distance well, and seems light and pleasant to use. I have played big, very strong fish on mine with no problems. It is an excellent fly rod.

Vintage Badger

I can only speak for the M/c Extreme 8'6" #4. It is very accurate at close to mid-range and ok at longer range, it casts a long distance well, and seems light and pleasant to use.
That's interesting, as it seems to be the opposite of what they found in that 'shootout' with the 8'4" #3 rod at 25 feet. I'm glad you like your rod, it's certainly a good value if you enjoy using it.

kingf000

From what I understood from both those shootouts, they appeared to indicate that if you want accuracy at the sort of range you'd often be casting a rod of that length, then you're probably better off looking elsewhere and paying a bit more money (perhaps buying a second hand rod if on a tight budget). It's OK saying a certain rod cast a good distance, but as we know, casting to the horizon each time is not all it's about.

I'd agree that a 'shootout' against budget priced rods from well known manufacturers would probably be more useful than one against mid to upper price range rods (where, depending on the skills of the caster, a difference may be more pronounced). Also, making sure each test rod is matched to both a floating and sinking line that suits it, so as to get the best out of each one.
I think one also needs to consider who the rods are designed for. The Maxcatch extreme is designed for the novice angler whose accuracy and long distance is a minor issue, they just want to consistently get the fly line out a reasonable distance in approximately the right area with a fair degree of consistency. Its called a fast action, all purpose rod but looking at the curves on pictures, it looks more like a medium/fast, and manufacturers don't normally recommend fast action rods for beginners. Distance and accuracy comes afterwards. I'm sure most novice anglers would have struggled with the other rods. The other rods were designed for those anglers with more experience who are demanding rods capable of casting linger distances with greater accuracy. That said, I was pretty impressed with the Maxcatch 3wt rod.

Vintage Badger

This is turning into a let's knock Maxcatch thread ; I personally have no financial worries whatsoever but if I can buy a bargain I will 2 of the people who own the Extreme rod and replied have no worries .
I don't think it is at all. Since when did sensible discussion and polite debate become knocking something?

I still think a test against several budget models from well known brands would be very interesting. The question being, would spending two or three times more (based on bona-fide UK selling price) get you a noticeably better rod in terms of performance, feel and finish?

Last edited:

Mrtrout

I see your relatively new on here, without sounding boring we have had these debates for many many years on here.
Is expensive better than cheap, are branded rods better, are rods worth top prices etc etc.
Try a search function you’ll find pages and pages to trawl through.
The point of this thread is to discuss Maxcatch products only not comparative rods,reels,lines.
S.

Rhithrogena

I don't think it is at all. Since when did sensible and polite discussion and debate become knocking something?

I still think a test against several budget models from well known brands would be very interesting. The question being, would spending two or three times more (based on bona-fide UK selling price) get you a noticeably better rod in terms of performance, feel and finish?
I think this is a great idea. It is unlikely to happen, though, as any such shoot-outs in the media don't usually include bargain basement rods. The sort of thing that 'cast-ins' would be useful for, when anglers meet and swap flies and cast each other's rods. Again, not likely in a lockdown.

Vintage Badger

I see your relatively new on here, without sounding boring we have had these debates for many many years on here.
Boring? No. Patronising, quite possibly!

The point of this thread is to discuss Maxcatch products only not comparative rods,reels,lines.
S.
If that were the case, then I don't think it's going to be much of a thread if participants aren't allowed to make a comparison with any other make, style, model or feature of rod, reel or line, is it?

Last edited:

ejw

Unfortunately Angling Mags and flyfishing organisations will not publish anything that undercuts their "backers" or where they cannot get some kind of revenue !
It would however be interesting to try Maxcatch rods against "well known" makes, but without any identifying marks. I seriously doubt that there will be a significant difference, especially by price. Hype is everything to high end (£) rods, but is there that much difference on the water !
Now I await the flack !